Best Running Backs from the Youngstown (Tri-County Area)

I'll leave the revelation of these stalwarts ......to all the many folk who are still alive (LOL)......and who played or watched these great athletes.

The numbers of college RB ..athletes , D1, D1-AA, D2, D3, NAIA..that the Youngstown / Warren area produced.....over 60 years........SICK

A big total folks

Of very recent vintage, there's Darrin Hall of Austintown Fitch/Pitt/now in Bengals camp; and LJ Scott of Hubbard/Michigan State...
Also, Youngstown Liberty and Warren Harding standout Lynn Bowden was a crazy running QB/RB/WR/PR who is now in line for a major collegiate award this fall with Kentucky as a WR.

Maybe not a star at college or nfl level like some who are mentioned here, but there weren’t too many tougher HS RBs in the area than Boardman’s Evan Beard. I believe he had three 1,000 yard seasons at Boardman.

I forget the name of the kid who went to Ursuline, perhaps in the 90's, went to OSU on scholarship but ended up with a neck injury early on so never played?

Exactly right. This was an undersized kid but he could cut on a dime and accelerate before you knew he was there.
I still remember that title game against Coldwater. Led 44-7 at the half. Teague had 19 rushes for 249 yards and 4 tds on the ground and 4 catches for 94 yards and another td receiving. The numbers were staggering because they barely tried in the second half thanks to a huge lead. That today would've triggered the running clock.

I still remember that title game against Coldwater. Led 44-7 at the half. Teague had 19 rushes for 249 yards and 4 tds on the ground and 4 catches for 94 yards and another td receiving. The numbers were staggering because they barely tried in the second half thanks to a huge lead. That today would've triggered the running clock.

He was amazing at that level, he beat Mooney himself that year as well, such a waste of talent

A.J. "Jam" Jones was a great one. From Fitch, Leo Hawkins, Todd Powers, Brian Frost, and Darrin Hall could be on the list.

I used to do the following with just City Series backs but we can do the area also. You can do this all the way back to the beginnings of football in the area but I'm going to name just guys that I saw or guys that at least played in my time:

When Don Lisbon, great Youngstown South RB, was a senior Paul Warfield was a soph.

When Warfield was a Sr. Rudy Hubbard was a soph.

When Hubbard was a Sr. Pete Richardson (probably my all-time favorite) was a soph.

When Richardson was a Sr. Dave Brungard was a soph.

When Brungard was a Sr. Jerry Fields (or Julie Livas - QB @ South) was a soph.

When Fields was a Sr. Clinton Lynch (North not Ursuline) was a soph.

When Lynch was a Sr. Earl Taylor (or Sherman Smith - QB @ North) was a soph.

When Taylor was a Sr. Ted Bell was a soph.

When Bell was a Sr. Dennis Mosley (serious speed) was a soph.

When Mosley was a Sr. A. J. Jones was a soph.

When Jones was a Sr. Tyrone Ivy (or Garcia Lane - QB @ South) was a soph

When Ivy was a Sr. J. C. Penney was a soph.

When Penney was a Sr. Derrick Lewis was a soph.

When Lewis was a Sr. Kevin Ellerbe was a soph.

When Ellerbe was a Sr. Billy Diorio was a soph.

When Diorio was a Sr. Herman Benson was a soph.

When Benson was a Sr. Preston Mays was a soph.

When Mays was a Sr. D. J. Walker was a soph.

When Walker was a Sr. Maurice Clarrett was a soph. (so was Evan Beard)

Etc, etc. You can do this forever and there are many others that could have been named in the years I chose but I'm getting tired of typing. :)

Ytown-
I hate to question you but are you sure your timeline in 100% correct? Specifically I'm looking at Tyrone Ivy Sr and JC Penny soph. I could've sworn Ivy was at YSU at that time. Now Scott Ivy was a RB at South c/o 81 I believe. Garcia was the senior QB when they went 10-0 in 79. Doesn't make your list any less impressive.

Deland McCullough from Campbell was a great back. He went on to rush for 4368 yards at Miami, OH.
He coached at Indiana and USC and is now coaching the running backs for the Kansas City Chiefs.

Ytown-
I hate to question you but are you sure your timeline in 100% correct? Specifically I'm looking at Tyrone Ivy Sr and JC Penny soph. I could've sworn Ivy was at YSU at that time. Now Scott Ivy was a RB at South c/o 81 I believe. Garcia was the senior QB when they went 10-0 in 79. Doesn't make your list any less impressive.

You are correct because somehow I skipped a guy. That was supposed to say:

When Tyrone Ivy was a Sr. Steve Johnson was a soph.

When Johnson was a Sr. J. C. Penney was a soph.

Good catch. Thanks

Ah, yes Steve Johnson. That's the 1st time I saw Mooney. When they went raw on Big Red at Fitch

That was Steubenville's1st playoff game. Needless to say the Cards were not vey gracious hosts hammering Big Red 49-0. :) IIRC Mr. Johnson took an option pitch about 55-60 yards for a TD on Mooney's 2nd offensive play of the game and the rout was on.

Ted Bell
Maurice Clarett
Shawn Patton
Akise Teague
L. J. Scott
Fitzgerald Toussaint
Bruce Murphy
Deland McCullough
Walter Reyes
Devion Smith