Best Players & Coaches Cincy has produced

Thought it might be fun to see something a bit different.

Who, in your opinion, are the best players and coaches that have come out of Cincinnati?

Not wanting this to be a club promotion/bashing thing, just a who have been the ones who are the best in girls sports regardless of club, high school or college?

Rose Lavelle
Malia Berkely
Aubrey Bledsoe
Lindsay Basalyga
Danielle Borgman
Theresa Hirschauer
Maddie Huster
Tori Huster
Heather Mitts

Thought it might be fun to see something a bit different.

Who, in your opinion, are the best players and coaches that have come out of Cincinnati?

Not wanting this to be a club promotion/bashing thing, just a who have been the ones who are the best in girls sports regardless of club, high school or college?

I guess starting the post I should have done my own list:

Player:
Rose Lavelle
Heather Mitts
Tori Huster
Claire Falknor
Aubrey Bledsoe
Miriam Stines
Kailyn Dudukovich
Sydney Jones
Malia Berkley
Macy Hamblin
Ravin Alexander
Anna Podojil
Maddy Prohaska

Coaches:
Kurt Fischer
Theresa Hirshauer
Brian Lefevre
Nate Lie
Jon Pickup
Bobby Puppione
Tiffany Roberts
David Robertson
Kim Sheper
Tim lesiak

Last edited:
The same KF that sends classmates to recruit? Greatest coach? What a joke. Is your lineup CUP heavy?

Last edited:
The same KF that sends classmates to recruit? Greatest coach? What a joke. Is your lineup CUP heavy?

Not sure what your talking about with KF, can you elaborate? I thought he has had a lot of success, the list is in no special order, and pretty sure there is quite a few different clubs (and college) represented (CUP, Kings Hammer, Ohio Elite, Mercury, Xavier etc). If I am mistaken on KF then please feel free to correct and throw your own list out!

My misgivings about KF, despite the (undeserved) local worship (he only coaches teams / age groups where he clearly has the top talent), relate to his 07s. Per the father of the recruited player, KF instructed one of his Mason players to go to her classmate on the opposing team (who scored the tying goal) after the game and tell her that KF thinks she should come join CUP. Slimy and automatic elimination from this list, in my opinion. Sadder yet those parents made the move . . . . They’re definitely not Jordan/Bird/Magic material . . . .

I guess starting the post I should have done my own list:

Player:
Rose Lavelle
Heather Mitts
Tori Huster
Claire Falknor
Aubrey Bledsoe
Miriam Stines
Kailyn Dudukovich
Sydney Jones
Malia Berkley
Macy Hamblin
Ravin Alexander
Anna Podojil

Coaches:
Kurt Fischer
Theresa Hirshauer
Brian Lefevre
Nate Lie
Jon Pickup
Bobby Puppione
Tiffany Roberts
David Robertson
Kim Sheper

Not a bad a list. I would remove MS and replace her with both Prohaska and Leshnak (Murphy) unarguably two of the best keepers to ever come out of the city. Prohaska is a total game changer both what she does in the net and contributes on the field. MS is solid but a college change and playing in the horizon vs what Maddie and Sam have done/are doing is not the same. Both were better in club and high school. But MS is an impressive keeper.

Remove DR and KS and add Lesiak a glaring miss. And Bracken, he's got 3 of the top 20 ranked teams nationally right now in the U16's, U17 and U18/19's. Additionally he and Lesiak coached about half the players on that list.

Not a bad a list. I would remove MS and replace her with both Prohaska and Leshnak (Murphy) unarguably two of the best keepers to ever come out of the city. Prohaska is a total game changer both what she does in the net and contributes on the field. MS is solid but a college change and playing in the horizon vs what Maddie and Sam have done/are doing is not the same. Both were better in club and high school. But MS is an impressive keeper.

Remove DR and KS and add Lesiak a glaring miss. And Bracken, he's got 3 of the top 20 ranked teams nationally right now in the U16's, U17 and U18/19's. Additionally he and Lesiak coached about half the players on that list.

Can't believe I forgot MP and Lesiak! I swore I had him on there.

I do not have personal experience with Bracken, just heard a lot of negative.

I know you have well documented hate towards DR, I have seen and heart nothing but very good so I will leave him there.

Not a KS fan either? She developed every team that got handed to Puppione.

My misgivings about KF, despite the (undeserved) local worship (he only coaches teams / age groups where he clearly has the top talent), relate to his 07s. Per the father of the recruited player, KF instructed one of his Mason players to go to her classmate on the opposing team (who scored the tying goal) after the game and tell her that KF thinks she should come join CUP. Slimy and automatic elimination from this list, in my opinion. Sadder yet those parents made the move . . . . They’re definitely not Jordan/Bird/Magic material . . . .

Agree with everything here. KF is a really good coach, but antics like this are inexcusable. AND after this happened--which I think was Fall 2018, in JAN-MAR 2019, he had her attend his Monday night practices with his 07 team at Springdale Nazarene Church. That generated much discussion among the then current 07 CUP players and parents at all levels. AND then, KF brought her along as a sub to a spring tournament--All while she was still rostered to the other team. She left her old team and officially went to CUP Fall 2019. CUP does this a lot--bring players from other teams to tournaments as "subs", who then play more than some of their own rostered players, who not only paid for the tournament, but paid for the travel expenses for the tournament as well. The parents are paying for their childs' development (CU-"The best club for player development", is their slogan), not for a guest player's development, and tournament/game play is an important part of that development.

It has always seemed to me that the stealing of other players has always been high on CUPs list, putting new players on higher level teams, then players they have at lower level teams that are better than the new players. Although, that is not the case with the specific player above. She is a good player.

As for JP being included NO WAY. Awful, just awful. Look at the throngs of players (and several coaches) that left CUP after spring 2020. I'm not sure if it's true, but I was told that was one reason he was fired.

Vedder--I'm pretty sure, I know who you are---if I'm right, Your daughter is a fantastic player.

Learning quite a bit through this honestly only knew KF through reputation but it sound quite questionable from a moral standpoint.

I honestly will admit though volume of talking to people (10+) that the overwhelming theme I hear is DR & BP are the two most successful by a mile. Robertson with the more recent with CDA. Both good though.

The only place I hear negative about either, ironically is here. Current big time college players and youth national team players and their families swear by them both.

Fisher is a very good coach. I've seen him as both an opposing parent, a friend watching my friends kids play for him and as a ref. The recruiting thing is a non issue for me. One of my kids has been recruited by friends (hers and mine), players, coaches, DOC's for years, since about U10. It is what it is. I'm sure the same can be said for lots of players Good clubs and coaches want the best kids on their team and so do the vested players. Sometimes it takes a nudge, but if your kids and you're happy you stay. Recruit away. It's life.

Don't know Robertson as a coach but I'll say nobody not even Puppione markets as well and his support trying to get girls recruited is 2nd to none, he even still supports his old Cincinnati DA girls while running the Nationals GA program. I respect that a ton.

Don't know all the coaches on that list but my 05 has had Lefevre, Lesiak and Bracken and has learned and enjoyed each of them. I'm grateful she and now my 07 will have the chance to play and learn from two of them as she has Tim and assuming she makes the team gets Doug next year. Not sure 2 coaches that have coached more high caliber kids in the city exist than Doug and Tim. All very different styles but my 05's a much better player for it, that much I'm absolutely certain of.

Toss up between Raven or Podojil as the best field player I have seen locally in person. My friends with older kids still talk about Falknor, Huster (not 100% sure what one) and Berkley. And I'll throw a vote in for Prohaska. My 05 did off season training with her a few times and played against her in Futsal. Classy kid, super skilled and just totally gets the game, she deserves all the accolades she's gotten.

Fisher is a very good coach. I've seen him as both an opposing parent, a friend watching my friends kids play for him and as a ref. The recruiting thing is a non issue for me. One of my kids has been recruited by friends (hers and mine), players, coaches, DOC's for years, since about U10. It is what it is. I'm sure the same can be said for lots of players Good clubs and coaches want the best kids on their team and so do the vested players. Sometimes it takes a nudge, but if your kids and you're happy you stay. Recruit away. It's life.

Don't know Robertson as a coach but I'll say nobody not even Puppione markets as well and his support trying to get girls recruited is 2nd to none, he even still supports his old Cincinnati DA girls while running the Nationals GA program. I respect that a ton.

Don't know all the coaches on that list but my 05 has had Lefevre, Lesiak and Bracken and has learned and enjoyed each of them. I'm grateful she and now my 07 will have the chance to play and learn from two of them as she has Tim and assuming she makes the team gets Doug next year. Not sure 2 coaches that have coached more high caliber kids in the city exist than Doug and Tim. All very different styles but my 05's a much better player for it, that much I'm absolutely certain of.

Toss up between Raven or Podojil as the best field player I have seen locally in person. My friends with older kids still talk about Falknor, Huster (not 100% sure what one) and Berkley. And I'll throw a vote in for Prohaska. My 05 did off season training with her a few times and played against her in Futsal. Classy kid, super skilled and just totally gets the game, she deserves all the accolades she's gotten.

Even with Nationals being one of the top clubs in the country already it seems DR has made a big impact there. We have friends who play for Hawks who are planning on trying to go there at tryouts due to exactly what you mentioned, the insane uptick in quality & quantity of college commitments and players called up to the national teams. Whatever you think of him, it appears he truly gets things done for his players.

It is a shame that so many good coaches have left Cincy. If Cincy not a destination, more a proving ground now? Or what is the reason people do not stay?

C’mon, 5x26 (is that a rifle scope measurement?), your post can be taken to imply that any means of recruiting is fair game and no ethical/moral standards should apply. What a slippery/slimy slope you so cavalierly bless as “it’s life”. It may be your view of life, one that perhaps lacks a moral compass and probably gets some depraved thrill from his daughter being recruited outside the lines, but don’t present this as normative and acceptable. There is right and wrong and you can try to gray it as much as you want to appease your sense of self-worth/justification and while “some times it takes a nudge” (in your words) other times it could take something much more . . . . Which you’re okay with, b/c by whatever means, that’s just life . . . .

Last edited:
C’mon, 5x26 (is that a rifle scope measurement?), your post can be taken to imply that any means of recruiting is fair game and no ethical/moral standards should apply. What a slippery/slimy slope you so cavalierly bless as “it’s life”. It may be your view of life, one that perhaps lacks a moral compass and probably gets some depraved thrill from his daughter being recruited outside the lines, but don’t present this as normative and acceptable. There is right and wrong and you can try to gray it as much as you want to appease your sense of self-worth/justification and while “some times it takes a nudge” (in your words) other times it could take something much more . . . . Which you’re okay with, b/c by whatever means, that’s just life . . . .

I'll skim past the moral compass comment, and the depraved thrill idea. You deserve the "Come on man" award for those junk comments. I'll stand by the fact it happens, it's part of sports, Club volleyball and club baseball and it happens all the time, same in AAU basketball heck even club track and field recruiting happens.

Perhaps it makes me an awful person to not have a an issue with people asking someone to come to their team. Most leagues have rules and most of these coaches know each other. Have the highest quality product and you'll usually get the highest quality kids. I get recruited for work by previous peers or subordinates, and current or future competitors. Took my last job after getting "recruited" one of the better decisions I've made. Wasn't necessarily ready to jump but the "nudge" helped. It's really no different in sports. Again take care of your kids and your parents, (doesn't mean kiss their or let them make team decisions or behave poorly) give them a quality product and don't worry about the rest. Honestly it'll take care of itself. People who are really happy don't leave. In most cases people who are even moderately unhappy don't leave. So if they are gone they are gone for a reason. Just my immoral take I suppose. Between my girls teams I've seen many come and go. The ones that are gone I miss and wish them the best, the ones we've added I'm happy for them. It's really about what's best for the kids in the mind and heart of the parents and player. If you leave just because someone paid you a compliment or asked you to, probably didn't want you around anyway.

But lets get back to the top players and coaches. I'm interested in peoples takes on who and why. And while recruiting to me does not make a bad coach I'll appreciate that it does for you.

I'll skim past the moral compass comment, and the depraved thrill idea. You deserve the "Come on man" award for those junk comments. I'll stand by the fact it happens, it's part of sports, Club volleyball and club baseball and it happens all the time, same in AAU basketball heck even club track and field recruiting happens.

Perhaps it makes me an awful person to not have a an issue with people asking someone to come to their team. Most leagues have rules and most of these coaches know each other. Have the highest quality product and you'll usually get the highest quality kids. I get recruited for work by previous peers or subordinates, and current or future competitors. Took my last job after getting "recruited" one of the better decisions I've made. Wasn't necessarily ready to jump but the "nudge" helped. It's really no different in sports. Again take care of your kids and your parents, (doesn't mean kiss their or let them make team decisions or behave poorly) give them a quality product and don't worry about the rest. Honestly it'll take care of itself. People who are really happy don't leave. In most cases people who are even moderately unhappy don't leave. So if they are gone they are gone for a reason. Just my immoral take I suppose. Between my girls teams I've seen many come and go. The ones that are gone I miss and wish them the best, the ones we've added I'm happy for them. It's really about what's best for the kids in the mind and heart of the parents and player. If you leave just because someone paid you a compliment or asked you to, probably didn't want you around anyway.

But lets get back to the top players and coaches. I'm interested in peoples takes on who and why. And while recruiting to me does not make a bad coach I'll appreciate that it does for you.

C'mon man, you can't be serious. Just because it happens all the time, doesn't make it right--but that's not even the entire picture of what we're talking about here.

I agree with your comments regarding your work experience. I am a consultant and have found your comments about your work experience to be true and they align with my work experience, both as a consultant and working as a company employee. But the big difference is that we are adults talking about work experience and these are (young) children playing sports. Not even close.

KF didn't have a colleague, friend, or team parent (I have had several opposing team parents approach me regarding one of my children, in a recruiting effort, and even one that just happened to stop at the same UDF as I did after a game--that's different) approach this player. He asked a 10-11 year old child to do it. AND took advantage of the fact that they went to school together and played on the same basketball team. It may have been a nudge for you professionally, but in the eyes of a young child, it's more than a nudge. Peer pressure can by a huge factor, and yes, some kids that are happy will leave in that instance. AND, who knows if this young 10-11 year old "recruiter" was even comfortable doing this, but would she have said no to her coach if she didn't? I doubt it. She should not have been put in that position. Likewise, the "recruitee" should not have been put in that position.

Anyone that thinks the kids don't notice and make judgements on these antics is just wrong. Just prior to my last child making the decision to leave CUP, I overheard her telling her sister-"Your lucky you play for a club that really cares about you. And CUP thinks they're all that--your club is just as good, and they don't do the things CUP does" Yes, a very headstrong child--I can only imagine the things she has said about her CUP experience to her friends--I have heard about some of her comments, but I am sure not all of them.

PitchMom I'm just going to agree to disagree on this. Happy people don't leave. If they left there was a reason. I appreciate your stance on it and in theory I understand it but it still doesn't bother me to see it happen. I want to see kids happy and successful so let them go where they want to be. Hind sight will be 20/20 and hopefully they make the right decision.

I forgot to add MA Vignola, she could play all three lines successfully moving around as they needed. Distribute, defend, score she could do it all and was a great high school and club player and was so fun to watch at UT. Total beast and won many both weekly and end of season awards in the SEC. You could totally build a team around her in my opinion and that would be a judgement tool for me.

Last edited:
What a lame, deflective and narcissistic/self-absorbed response coupled with about as ignorant an apples to oranges comparison as could be made, 5x26. I’m not sure you directly responded to the key point/distinction made by PitchMom — adult coach KF instructing (inherently pressuring) 11-12 year old to recruit same-aged girl on opposite team who attends same school. Or did you respond implicitly with the 5x26 stamp of approval? Please clarify and save us the deflective “happy people don’t leave” BS as applied to this age group. We, as adults in our profession, are fair game for headhunters. And not to burst your big head, but it happens to all of us (daily, in fact, for some), and yet many don’t leave b/c the grass is not always greener, 5x26. . . and because we don’t need our ego constantly assuaged, 5x26 . . . . And because sticking with it through challenging/tough times/bosses/coaches results in growth/payoff, 5x26 . . . . And, finally/maybe, there are some few of us left who are loyal . . . Hoosier Parent, you still a coach? You’re good with adult coaches using their pre-junior high kids as recruitment pawns?

Last edited:
THIS THREAD IS AWESOME SAUCE- FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT. SHILL SHILL SHILL. SALLY VS SALLY. COACH BASHING. IT HAS IT ALL!!! weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

I used to think that recruiting players from other clubs was wrong, and I applauded leagues that instituted rules that sought to prevent this from happening. However, as time goes on, I no longer think that there's anything wrong with it. Rules that discourage or outlaw recruiting are designed to protect the club at the expense of the athlete. There's supposed to be a principle in club soccer that says its the player's right to choose. Well, if that's so, then a player should be allowed to decide when he/she wants to play for another club. You can't live by this principle and outlaw recruiting because the act of recruiting exposes a player to new and different opportunities.

It may be possible that the kid and her family are making a mistake by taking an offer to join another club. However, the key point is that it is that player and her families right to make that decision. If you don't want to lose a player, take the steps to provide proper incentive for that player to stay with you.

My coaching 2 cents for what its worth

Bobby Pup-
is as good as it gets and as he's matured he seems to be taking the less involved approach that most coaches do. He really has embraced allowing the kid to be the driver while helping with recruiting etc. He just seems to have the ability to bring the best out in players. He’s probably a better trainer and motivator than XO guy, but he's at the top of my list.

Tiffany Rob- She is another great coach that slipped away. She can do it all and KHA has sorely missed her since the departure. Her players played a high quality brand of soccer and she helped produce a lot of talented young ladies. We are still seeing the positive residue that she left on players from years ago.

David Rob - is phenomenal at the tactics of the game and no one is better at promoting and elevating kids than this guy. It can feel like a little overkill sometimes, but if you play for his teams he's a heck of an advocate for you with colleges and national teams. He consistently sends break downs of film with moments that can be used to help grow the player. Hard to get a bigger bang for your buck.

Tim Les- Great coach in all aspects of the game. He has helped produce more local talent than most coaches combined. He’s always coached the olders with Doug, but now coaches the youngers. The list of full national team callups and youth national team callups would rival even the best of the best coaches. Kids seem to love him and his teams keep the ball really well.

Doug Bra- He and Tim have always been a tag team outfit, but for the last four years Doug has takin over the seniors himself. Tough hard nosed coach that seems to get his teams to compete extremely hard, but the said teams seem to lack quality. Not the best at the promotion of players and college interactions. No coach on this list gets his players to compete harder than he does and if your kid is hard nosed lunch pale type of gal he's the man. MA seems to be the last game changer and the rest of his kids seem to have struggled lately at the Power 5 level. There is a few that are really talented at UD so we will see how that goes.

What a lame, deflective and narcissistic/self-absorbed response coupled with about as ignorant an apples to oranges comparison as could be made, 5x26. I’m not sure you directly responded to the key point/distinction made by PitchMom — adult coach KF instructing (inherently pressuring) 11-12 year old to recruit same-aged girl on opposite team who attends same school. Or did you respond implicitly with the 5x26 stamp of approval? Please clarify and save us the deflective “happy people don’t leave” BS as applied to this age group. We, as adults in our profession, are fair game for headhunters. And not to burst your big head, but it happens to all of us (daily, in fact, for some), and yet many don’t leave b/c the grass is not always greener, 5x26. . . and because we don’t need our ego constantly assuaged, 5x26 . . . . And because sticking with it through challenging/tough times/bosses/coaches results in growth/payoff, 5x26 . . . . And, finally/maybe, there are some few of us left who are loyal . . . Hoosier Parent, you still a coach? You’re good with adult coaches using their pre-junior high kids as recruitment pawns?

You are an angry little beaver. If you're so easily swayed by or flattered by a contact from another player or coach that you think others are as well I'm sorry for you. Or that someone wanting your kid to play with or for them is an ego boost you you have more deep seated issues than comes across in your responses. Clearly it would make your whole year if someone wanted your kid to play with them, I'm not that guy. and my kid is not alone I know it happens all the time, especially from kid to kid. I hope you figure it all out because youth soccer is not the be all end all, and certainly should not be causing this much biterness from an adult. Your whole "agree with me or your wrong and an awful person" mentality is broken, it really is. Let me guess you're the kinda parent to tell the coach where you want your kid to play and complain about playing time too.

Thing is I am loyal. My 07 has been at the same club since she was 6 and she's 14, I coached my 05 at Warren County till I ran out of coaching talent around U9 and she's been at her club since with never a flit of movement. My oldest stopped playing to run full time. I'm loyal to the club because of the way the coaches have treated my kids and they see it the same way. I'm close with people who have left our club and with those looking to leave others. Not one of those people has left or wants to leave just because someone talked with them and I certainly don't judge them for wanting a change, they know their reality better than me.

5x26, your first paragraph above (where you lash out at me because I question your sense of right and wrong as to whether it is appropriate for a coach to instruct his 11 year old player to recruit her classmate) is about as nonsensical and unfounded a response as I’ve seen on this board in a long time (which is saying a lot, given Coach Cup’s / aka Coach G’s many ridiculous one-sided comments, those of Jed regarding the Covid conspiracy, and the occasional hubris from Empty Cup reminding us all that he is a doctor as he shares the latest soccer news he hears from his patients . . .) I clearly touched a nerve . . . . In fact, your typically good grammar even suffered. I considered not responding, b/c clearly you’re the insecure wildcard here . . . . But alas, you’re just too much of a condescending a-hole for me to walk away (plus I just had a $70 shot of a Don Julio reserve, not with Empty Cup . . .). I agree with you, by the way, that youth soccer is certainly not the be all end all, which I would hope you would’ve gleaned from my post above about not jumping clubs (it’s basic reading comprehension, 5x26 . . .).By the way, what is “an angry little beaver”? I Googled it, maybe a Nickelodeon kids show you still watch?

5x26, your first paragraph above (where you lash out at me because I question your sense of right and wrong as to whether it is appropriate for a coach to instruct his 11 year old player to recruit her classmate) is about as nonsensical and unfounded a response as I’ve seen on this board in a long time (which is saying a lot, given Coach Cup’s / aka Coach G’s many ridiculous one-sided comments, those of Jed regarding the Covid conspiracy, and the occasional hubris from Empty Cup reminding us all that he is a doctor as he shares the latest soccer news he hears from his patients . . .) I clearly touched a nerve . . . . In fact, your typically good grammar even suffered. I considered not responding, b/c clearly you’re the insecure wildcard here . . . . But alas, you’re just too much of a condescending a-hole for me to walk away (plus I just had a $70 shot of a Don Julio reserve, not with Empty Cup . . .). I agree with you, by the way, that youth soccer is certainly not the be all end all, which I would hope you would’ve gleaned from my post above about not jumping clubs (it’s basic reading comprehension, 5x26 . . .).By the way, what is “an angry little beaver”? I Googled it, maybe a Nickelodeon kids show you still watch?
HEY!!! I was just sitting back and minding my own business, and BOOM, WTF???? BTW, GET BACK IN YOUR DRYER WITH YOUR 7 MASKS ON!!!!! THE EVIL MIDGET HAS NOT GIVEN YOU PERMISSION TO LEAVE YET!!! OBEY OBEY OBEY YOUR UNELECTED MIDGET OVERLORD!!!! Freaking Veddersheep.

PS. UK is process of changing COVID to 'seasonal flu' and removing all lockdowns. But congrats to you for falling for an psy op. HILARIOUS.

This is all clearly lost on you for one reason or another. Deflect all you want. I hope you find some happiness in your daughters sport because you should really be enjoying this, rather than harboring whatever it is you are dealing with that Fisher did you. I stand by my own thoughts that he's a very talented coach and recruiting happens.

Now can we please just focus on the best coaches and players and move past the fact that we disagree about both him and recruiting.

Last edited:
HEY!!! I was just sitting back and minding my own business, and BOOM, WTF???? BTW, GET BACK IN YOUR DRYER WITH YOUR 7 MASKS ON!!!!! THE EVIL MIDGET HAS NOT GIVEN YOU PERMISSION TO LEAVE YET!!! OBEY OBEY OBEY YOUR UNELECTED MIDGET OVERLORD!!!! Freaking Veddersheep.

PS. UK is process of changing COVID to 'seasonal flu' and removing all lockdowns. But congrats to you for falling for an psy op. HILARIOUS.
What's your degree in Jed? Here's just one example. How's the rest of Europe doing? You don't have any empathy for the 500,00 plus families of lost Covid ... you are a sick sheepie.