Best Ohio High School Wrestlers That Never Won State

This argument begins and ends with guys who didn't win State titles but went on to earn All American status or win NCAA championships at the DI level. Guys like Brian Dolph (North Canton Hoover, NCAA title for Indiana), Charlie Jones (Sandusky, NCAA title for Purdue) and if course, the great Dan St John (Cleveland St. Joes, TWO NCAA titles for Arizona State).

Two kids I wrestled early in my high school career, Ryan fields and Dante rini. At the time I would have bet my life savings both would have left with a couple. (Wouldn't have been much but still)

This argument begins and ends with guys who didn't win State titles but went on to earn All American status or win NCAA championships at the DI level. Guys like Brian Dolph (North Canton Hoover, NCAA title for Indiana), Charlie Jones (Sandusky, NCAA title for Purdue) and if course, the great Dan St John (Cleveland St. Joes, TWO NCAA titles for Arizona State).

Maybe not. Depends on the question. It seems the poster was asking about high school performance not college. It is possible to be great in high school and not in college and vise versa.

I would agree. Focus in on those that were credentialed in high school, happened not to win a state title, and succeeded in college.

Dave Bolyard (Akron Springfield/Central Michigan) is one that fits in this bucket.

People need to remember that there are degrees of "good".

Tariq Wilson, Cory Shie, and Bobby Smith.. Tariq being a 3x runner up losing to absolute freaks each year in the finals is a bummer and even winning ironman shows the craziness behind that. Cory Shie is a hammer.. 3rd at super 32, Fargo AA, defeated champs and finalists throughout his career but unfortunately never got it done. Bobby Smith from Hilliard Davidson graduated in 2014 3x placer runner up to Ivan Mclay as a junior and got banged up as a senior and took 5th. Defeated Nate Hagan multiple times, Assad, Gennar Feutch, and so many other studs.. Just writing this post makes me bummed out for these guys! But it's not about the results necessarily, simply the journey.

Austin Assad also! Fargo champ, defeating Russell from Georgia who just AA'd for Edinboro, was a 4x placer and split bouts with Jose Rodriguez and Jose got the final one at the Schott.

Only if you remember or were there. Few folks after that 'generation' have any idea.

What about Tony Abbruzzese? GH.

Kyle gilchrest from Jefferson Ohio. 4 time placer . Just happened to be in the same weight class as David taylor.

Reactions: Jmt
Maybe not. Depends on the question. It seems the poster was asking about high school performance not college. It is possible to be great in high school and not in college and vise versa.

This is exactly what I meant ProV1 thank you for clarifying. Obviously guys like Jacob Kasper and Max Rohskopf peaked in college, but I am looking for guys that were nationally known as high school wrestlers. Edgar Bright comes to mind for me.

This is exactly what I meant ProV1 thank you for clarifying. Obviously guys like Jacob Kasper and Max Rohskopf peaked in college, but I am looking for guys that were nationally known as high school wrestlers. Edgar Bright comes to mind for me.

Kagan Squire was right there too; both beaten by Joey Ward for the state title.

Tom Cousineau (75) and Tom Kalski (80) from Eds. Cousineau had Golic and Harold Smith (both future AA's) to deal with; while Kalski got DQ'ed at state.

Still, Daniel Mason-Strauss had the biggest achievement. Academically ineligible the second half of his Sr year, he entered and won the Sr nationals. Despite not wrestling for months.

Great stuff guys , I know some included it but with some of those names who went on to win NCAA titles I am interested in the background of the high school journey . Later blooming as in great but others peaked earlier ? Weight issues ? Wrestling being a long hard season much of success is being as close to 100 percent as possible at the right time , peaking as it were at the end of the season much like a team getting hot and healthy late.

Loved the Cousineau reference , which brings up another factor being that sometimes as great as you are there us sometimes if always ultimately guys who are just a bit better

I would agree. Focus in on those that were credentialed in high school, happened not to win a state title, and succeeded in college.

Dave Bolyard (Akron Springfield/Central Michigan) is one that fits in this bucket.

People need to remember that there are degrees of "good".

To me, this is the only answer. Bolyard was head and shoulders above his field but something always came up In march

Still, Daniel Mason-Strauss had the biggest achievement. Academically ineligible the second half of his Sr year, he entered and won the Sr nationals. Despite not wrestling for months.

Not academically ineligible. Wrestling on Day 1 of District Tournament...was withdrawn on Day 2. Kid was a freak on a wrestling mat for sure.

I'm a fan but by the looks of who will be back next year, I think Sandro Ramirez will end up being the best to never win state.

USA Freestyle National Champ
USA Folkstyle National Champ
USA Greco National Champ
I forget how many Freestyle, Greco and Folkstyle State titles something like 10 or more.
Fargo AA
Pretty sure the most decorated USA Sanctioned Wrestler in the State of Ohio Ever.
Keith Carter to confirm.
Corey Shie.

All disciplines
JMO

Not academically ineligible. Wrestling on Day 1 of District Tournament...was withdrawn on Day 2. Kid was a freak on a wrestling mat for sure.

Mason-Strauss did not wrestle at districts at all. Matt Doxsey got in as his replacement during the week. I know this because I remember the look on his face when he was told he had to make weight in two days.

I always thought Eric Kimble (Fairborn) was excellent. I honestly don't know how he didn't win it his senior year. He was undefeated heading into the finals and had seemingly already defeated his closest competition in Chris Ranallo (Mayfield) in the semi-finals. He faced James VanCucha (Strongsville) for the title. VanCucha was very good, but not a world beater. What he did have though, was one of the best fireman's carries you'll ever see. Tough to come back after getting hit for five.

Kimble ended up heading to Ohio Unviversity and AAed twice (7th and 4th)...finishing behind names like T.J. Jaworsky, Babak Mohammad, Cary Kolat and Steve St John. Other Ohio horses in that bracket that failed to place were John McCumber, Tony Pariano, Jim Johnson and Steve Feckanin. Heck, now that I think of it, McCumber and Feckanin could be on this list as well.

Tanner was very very good. Not fun to wrestle. Matt Delguyd Mayfield. is the best upper weight to never win a state championship in the last 30 years. 3x State placer 2nd as a JR 189 lost 2-0 stalling points only points scored. Jeff Clemens National Champion SR year lost 3-2 Matt Koz Finals Saint Ed’s Delguyd beat him the 1st two times that year pinning him once. KoZ was returning state champ& ended up 3X state Champ. That match was 2002 Delguyd was An all American in college at northwestern beating KOZ Minnesota Clemens Michigan State. Both times they faced. Delguyd wouldn’t pull the trigger in the big matches his 1 downfall. Best Hs double leg I’ve ever seen. He relied on defense too much aganist top competition
Tanner vs Delguyd Delguyd wins 7-3 My guess controlling the match for the most part. Wo taking lots of high risk chances. FLO wrestling ranked Delguyd 4th best to never win a state championship in Ohio wrestling history. There were other Delguyds that were good related but not the same

Last edited:
Tanner Matt Delguyd mayfield is the best upper weight to never win a state championship in the last 30 years. 3x State placer 2nd as a JR 189 lost 2-0 stalling points only points sxhoted To Jeff Clemens National Champion SR year lost 3-2 Matt Koz Finals Saint Ed’s Delguyd beat him the 1st two times that year pinning him once. KoZ was returning state champ& ended up 3X state Champ. That match was 2002 Delguyd was An all American in college at northwestern beating KOZ Minnesota Clemens Michigan State. Moth tomes Delguyd wouldn’t pull the trigger in the big matches. Best Hs double leg I’ve ever seen. He relied on defense too much aganist top completion
Tanner Delguyd Delguyd wins 7-3 My guess wo controlling the march for the most part. Wo taking lots of high risk chances. FLO wrestling ranked Delguyd 4th best to never win a state championship in Ohio wrestling history. There were other Delguyds that were good related but not the same