Best of the 1980's

Going by high school

Mike Larkin LB Moeller play outside LB as soph on State move to inside LB senior year bad luck broken leg week before senior year in college

I think I'd get little local argument, that Chuck Webb, also an 80's RB was the best football player ever out of Toledo. I've seen him called the best ever RB at UofTenn by their fans. I'd have a little tougher time picking that position than you. Robert Smith was certainly special.

I had a lot of trouble picking that 2nd RB, I just think Robert Smith was the best HS player I ever seen so that is why he was an easy call. So many good ones to choose from in an era when the deep I formation w/ a featured TB was the primary offensive scheme.

WR was also a tough call, some great individual athletic talent but Mike Lanese was one of the best HS route runners I had ever seen, Tony Gonzales being the other. Super smart that could get open every play.

John Glenn Grimsley - Mckinley High school

in Moeller vs McKinley in 1980 Moeller moved future Pro Doug Williams to play in front of Grimsley

I would love to look that game film............

Surprised nobody mentioned Percy Snow from Canton McK!
He went on to be a 4 year starter(I believe) at Michigan St and 1st round draft pick

He went on to be a 4 year starter(I believe) at Michigan St and 1st round draft pick

played against Percy, and he could hit like a ton of bricks. one of the nicest guys off the field too. definately in the conversation!!

percy snow
dean brown
garland rivers
chris clax
some of my favorite all ohio bulldogs of the 80's.

I am surprised nobody from Moeller didnt mention Hiawatha Francisco and D'Juan Francisco. Two very very good running backs. I believe D'Juan had more rushing yards, but i am sure Moe fans can give a better prospective who was the better running back.

Some outstanding names mentioned by others on this thread.

I did not get a chance to see many of the greats live. However, I would throw the name Trent Zenkewicz into the group. As far as high school defensive tackles go, he was as dominant as any i have watched .

Like Auggie, Robert Smith was the easiest pick but again I did not see greats like Spielman play.

DB - Barry Larkin Moeller

Barry was one of the best high school safeties I've ever seen play the game. He was like an extra LB playing 10 yards off the ball. He filled on running plays with agility and strength and yet could cover the width and depth of the field in pass coverage. He was a natural at the Safety position.

I agree. Because he chose a career in baseball, I think people forget, or don't realize, how good of a football player he was. Similar to LeBron James...the difference being that LeBron didn't play football has last year or two of high school. Both were exceptionally talented high school athletes and I'm sure there are others who chose a career in a different sport but stood well above the rest on the football field.

If you are talking great high school players, consider linebacker, Billy Price from Galion. His Tigers went 30-4-1 during his career, '84,'85,and 86. During his junior year, he lead the Tigers to the Division II title. His performances against Toledo DeVillbis in the first round of the playoffs was spectacular and maybe only eclipsed by his efforts in the Tigers 6-0 monumental upset of Bo Pellini and Cardinal Mooney.
Billy capped his playing career by leading the Air Force Falcons in an upset of Ohio State in a bowl game. (I believe it was the Liberty Bowl). Billy is wrapping up his service to our country at the USAFA.

Auggie touched on him at DB, but another homer pick by me is Tony Gant from Fremont Ross. 1981 Columbus TD Player of the Year(this was before Mr. Football), and went on to star at UM.

Auggie touched on him at DB, but another homer pick by me is Tony Gant from Fremont Ross. 1981 Columbus TD Player of the Year(this was before Mr. Football), and went on to star at UM.

http://www.tdccolumbus.com/?page_id=10#SAM B. NICOLA

JAMES A. RHODES AWARD TD Club of Columbus Ohio H.S. POY
(date is as awarded / may not be playing season)
2012 Mitch Trubisky - Mentor
2011 Maty Mauk - Kenton
2010 Braxton Miller - Huber Heights Wayne

2009 Braxton Miller - Huber Heights Wayne
2008 Zach Boren - Pickerington Central
2007 Jake Stoneburner - Dublin Coffman
2006 Brandon Saine - Piqua
2005 Chris Wells - Akron Garfield
2004 Jamario O’Neal - Cleveland Glenville
2003 Ted Ginn, Jr. - Cleveland Glenville
2002 Donte Whitner - Cleveland Glenville
2001 Justin Zwick - Massillon Washington
(tie)
2001 Maurice Clarett - Warren Harding
2000 Jeff Backes - Upper Arlington
(tie)
2000 Maurice Hall - Columbus Brookhaven

1999 Brandon Childress - Cleveland Chanel
1998 Mike Doss - Canton McKinley
1997 Tony Fisher - Euclid
1996 Derek Combs - Grove City
1995 Andy Katzenmoyer - Westerville South
1994 Charles Woodson - Fremont Ross
1993 Dee Miller - Springfield
1992 Mike Vrable - Stow
1991 Korey Stringer - Warren Harding
1990 Robert Smith - Euclid

1989 Roger Harper - Columbus Independence
1988 Ronald “Buster” Howe - Zanesville
1987 Carlos Snow - Cincinnati Academy
1986 Jeff Davidson - Westerville North
1985 Mark Kamphous - Cincinnati Moeller
1984 Chris Spielman - Massillon
1983 Hiawatha Francisco - Cincinnati Moeller
1982 Tony Gant - Fremont Ross
1981 Mark Brooks - Cincinnati Moeller
1980 Eric Ellington - Cincinnati Moeller

1979 Ken Roundtree - Cincinnati Moeller
1978 Art Schlichter - W.C.H. Miami Trace
1977 Tim Koegel - Cincinnati Moeller
1976 Joe Portale - St. Edward
1975 John Ziegler - Warren Harding
1974 Ted Bell - Youngstown Mooney
1973 Mike Gayles - Cincinnati Princeton
1972 Archie Griffin - Col. Eastmoor
1971 Rick Middleton - Delaware Hayes
1970 Ted McNulty - Upper Arlington

1969 Steve Mauger - Massillon

- - -

SAM B. NICOLA AWARD TD Club of Columbus National H.S. POY

(Ohio winners only listed (ditto on date as noted above)

2003 Ted Ginn, Jr. - Cleveland Glenville, OH (Ohio State )
2001 Maurice Clarett - Warren Harding, OH (Ohio State)

1998 Mike Doss - Canton McKinley, OH (Ohio State)
1995 Andy Katzenmoyer - Westerville South, OH (Ohio State)

1989 Robert Smith - Euclid, OH (Ohio State)
1983 Chris Spielman - Massillon, OH (Ohio State)

:>---

I am surprised nobody from Moeller didnt mention Hiawatha Francisco and D'Juan Francisco. Two very very good running backs. I believe D'Juan had more rushing yards, but i am sure Moe fans can give a better prospective who was the better running back.

Because everyone knows they were both from Dallas and recruited to Moeller by St. Gerry.

seen Speilman play sophomore thru senior season. Was always most dominate player on the field. He was an animal. If not most talented he had the most drive I've ever seen in a high school athlete. Would have started for any high school in the country as a soph. Special athlete and apparently a special person.

Unless I missed it, I'm surprised nobody mentioned Derek Isaman.

Yes, he was a really good LB, but I don't know he belongs on this list.

For those that didn't know, and a little trivia, Isaman was the only one that went the distance with Mike Tyson during the 1988 Heavyweight Olympic Boxing Tryouts. Tyson had KO'd everyone else.

Napoleon McCallum RB

Milford High School

During his time at Navy, he was a two-time consensus All-American and set an NCAA record with 7,172 career all-purpose yards. He is also the career rushing leader at Navy with 4,179 yards. He was a member of the US Naval Academy Midshipmen football team that traveled to the Rose Bowl site in 1983 to face the US Military Academy Cadets football team in Pasadena, California, and scored two touchdowns in Navy's 48–13 victory.

Middletown's finest

Cris Carter - (WR) Middletown Middies

Carter was All state as a wide receiver and defensive back as a senior.

That's on both sides of the ball folks !! I don't think that has ever been done before or since ??

Guy was double and triple teamed in high school and still dominated on a 9-1 team that lost only to state champ Princeton by 2 points.

OL-John Peterson-Middletown- High School All-American, Ohio State First Team, Ohio High School Lineman of the Year, Butler County Hall of Fame, Middletown Hall of Fame, Went on to play at Ohio State as a 4 year Letermen. Also, Broke the long time 28 year Middletown shot put record held by Legend Basketball player Jerry Lucas.

1979 Ken Roundtree - Cincinnati Moeller

I think he played at Princeton.......

This started the recruitment

He was at Mt Healthy