Best musician of all time.

Although he wasn't a "musician", he did play several instruments but was known for singing and arranging.

Freddie Mercury

Straight up best musician?

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Michael Jackson sucks. Probably have to look to classical music or jazz for "best musician" but that's a pretty broad question.

When saying musician is it someone that had the playing chops or are you thinking the entire package; ability, song writing, trend setting, entertainment value, etc...

A couple names from the 20th century to consider when it comes to chops:

Vladimir Horowitz (freaky large hands let him play works most could not dream of)

Charlie Parker (Performance enhanced by heroin)

Jimi Hendrix (Best musician from the rock genre)

Maria Callas (Considered the 1st "Diva")

As for the entire package I would go with Louis Armstrong. The guy basically did it all very well. Played trumpet, sang, wrote, conducted & arranged his own band, and was the architect of the modern jazz movement.

When saying musician is it someone that had the playing chops or are you thinking the entire package; ability, song writing, trend setting, entertainment value, etc...

A couple names from the 20th century to consider when it comes to chops:

Vladimir Horowitz (freaky large hands let him play works most could not dream of)

Charlie Parker (Performance enhanced by heroin)

Jimi Hendrix (Best musician from the rock genre)

Maria Callas (Considered the 1st "Diva")

As for the entire package I would go with Louis Armstrong. The guy basically did it all very well. Played trumpet, sang, wrote, conducted & arranged his own band, and was the architect of the modern jazz movement.

good list, although I'm not familiar with Callas

I do prefer Hendrix music, but I might have to substitute Prince Rogers Nelson for Jimi in rock.

Grohl's great, hof. Prince reference make you think of Grohl ?

I always thought it was cool the way they traded "Nicki" for "Best of You". Each made the others' song their own, in their own way. Like four different songs.

I'm still impressed by Prince's SB halftime show. Faultless play, like Zappa.