Best in Ohio (regardless of division) 2020-21

Alek Martin = Super 32 champ and undefeated this season with quality wins along the way. That level of productivity is unmatched by anyone in that weight class.

Gavin Brown I have two of his losses captured, not sure about the third. One was to Goodwin from Crown Point IN, who blew weight during his post-season run (was a state title contender in Indiana, ranked 4th prior to the post-season); the other I have captured was 3-2 to Haskin. Super32 was a DNP with losses to Thorpe from WI and Porter from CA (Porter is a national caliber kid, Thorpe is not). We have to rule Brown out on that basis.

In terms of 120, Clayton probably should be the pick. I was unaware of his head-on win over Seefeldt; and I forgot that Seefeldt had a clunky loss to Van Dee from Cathedral Prep in PA (10-0 major decision).

Dillon Campbell placed 7th at 106 in the Super32, so to say he jumps up to be the best in Ohio at 113 is interesting. I'm not saying he can't be, but that would say the 113 field in Ohio isn't strong in a national construct.

Unfortunately due to the season we had, there isn't that consistent cross-data you normally get from the major bracket events.

Oh, Bucksman! Spare me your “data”. LET ME LIVE MY DREAM!!!!!!!!!!!

ps: GREAT seeing you again; as always. Let’s do it again later this year at Medina or Brecksville! ???

Alek Martin = Super 32 champ and undefeated this season with quality wins along the way. That level of productivity is unmatched by anyone in that weight class.

Gavin Brown I have two of his losses captured, not sure about the third. One was to Goodwin from Crown Point IN, who blew weight during his post-season run (was a state title contender in Indiana, ranked 4th prior to the post-season); the other I have captured was 3-2 to Haskin. Super32 was a DNP with losses to Thorpe from WI and Porter from CA (Porter is a national caliber kid, Thorpe is not). We have to rule Brown out on that basis.

In terms of 120, Clayton probably should be the pick. I was unaware of his head-on win over Seefeldt; and I forgot that Seefeldt had a clunky loss to Van Dee from Cathedral Prep in PA (10-0 major decision).

Dillon Campbell placed 7th at 106 in the Super32, so to say he jumps up to be the best in Ohio at 113 is interesting. I'm not saying he can't be, but that would say the 113 field in Ohio isn't strong in a national construct.

Unfortunately due to the season we had, there isn't that consistent cross-data you normally get from the major bracket events.
Campbell also defeated the defending PA State champ 5-0. He's definitely the best 113 in Ohio, and that isn't a knock on Ohio. Anyone can have one off tournament. He has been wrecking great competition all season. Jordan placed 5th in that same 106 bracket at the Super 32 and Campbell pinned Jordan in the 1st period this season.

Last edited:
I’ll go out on the limb and say 4 of the best 120’s in the state didn’t even competed in the state series this year.

Agin, Fenton, Moon, Skinner.

Campbell also defeated the defending PA State champ 5-0. He's definitely the best 113 in Ohio, and that isn't a knock on Ohio. Anyone can have one off tournament. He has been wrecking great competition all season. Jordan placed 5th in that same 106 bracket at the Super 32 and Campbell pinned Jordan in the 1st period this season.

All this and I would agree that Ohio 113 isn't strong in a national construct. Campbell is the only one ranked nationally.

I agree these guys are all hammers. But Max Shore can compete with every single one.
I not going to disagree with you as I have not seen to watch Shore wrestle this year or last year. I would say the couple matches I got to see of Clayton I would say he was better than the other 120’s in D1 at state this weekend.

120 is a very deep weight class in Ohio. The top 10 120’s in Ohio can complete and can beat any of the top 20 in the country on any given day. I shouldn’t have said can beat I should have said have already beaten National Ranked kids.

Gavin Brown’s other loss was opening weekend to Cramblett from Graham. Brown bumped all the way up to 160.

I’ll go out on the limb and say 4 of the best 120’s in the state didn’t even competed in the state series this year.

Agin, Fenton, Moon, Skinner.
see i’m going to disagree, i think shore beats these boys. but 120 is insanely deep across ohio

Jordan went up to 113 instead of taking the forfeit at 106 and was too small for such a skilled wrestler like Dillion. When they both competed at 106, Jordan defeated Zan Fugitt , who defeated Dillion Campbell. Dillion would go on to place 7th at Super32.

Last edited:
Jordan was 105.5 and went up to 113 instead of taking the forfeit at 106. Beric was too small for such a skilled wrestler like Dillion. When they both competed at 106, Jordan defeated Zan Fugitt , who defeated Dillion Campbell. Dillion would go on and place 7th at Super32.
Those two events were only a couple months apart. Jordan is a great wrestler, Campbell is just on another level.

Those two events were only a couple months apart. Jordan is a great wrestler, Campbell is just on another level.
Maybe you're right but that was the only time they have competed in the same tournament at 106 and that was with day before weigh-ins.

Last edited:
Top 4 from each division. #1’s bye into quarters and let it rip. Do that one in a barn!

I like this.

I'd say invite the top 8. If #s 1 - 4 accept, then they are in. If one doesn't, but 5 did, he's in. (In this case, 5-8 become alternates.)

I love this.

Y’know - we could have seen these matches this weekend. ...if we have ONE DIVISION!!!!!

actually,as I typed that, I wondered, “Could we have had a state tournament this year if we only had ONE DIVISION??”

Just thinking.

I personally like the way we do it here in Ohio. While you may have a kid or two in a couple of divisions that could throw down with the division 1 kids, by in large, all the champions would come out of D1 schools. With the exceptions of say SPG, Legacy Christian and maybe Findlay...I just don't see another program with the experience of wrestling the tough competition match after match that readies you for a run at a state title that incorporates all three divisions.

I agree these guys are all hammers. But Max Shore can compete with every single one.

You can dream all day about Skinner, but at the end of the day, that is all you'll have as Skinner is done....like all the way done. Walked away and I venture to say, never coming back.

I personally like the way we do it here in Ohio. While you may have a kid or two in a couple of divisions that could throw down with the division 1 kids, by in large, all the champions would come out of D1 schools. With the exceptions of say SPG, Legacy Christian and maybe Findlay...I just don't see another program with the experience of wrestling the tough competition match after match that readies you for a run at a state title that incorporates all three divisions.

Milan Edison wrestled all three team state champions in duals this year as well as Wadsworth, Elyria, Findlay, Aurora, and Ashland.