Best HS Football Stadium for each State

Would love to see a game at The Pit.

Warren G. Harding took a standing room only crowd to The Pit in 2001. Best atmosphere I’ve ever been a part of. I’ll never see that level of spirit again.

C01ED744-1B37-411F-90FE-C668608C437C.jpeg

Harding Stadium in Steub is the most interesting place I have seen. Holds 10 K and the scoreboard bursting fiery flames is really something. The best thing is the cemetery behind the visitor stands which justifies the "death valley" nickname. If you dont have any big-mouthed Big Red fans within earshot, it's a fun evening.

Runner ups for me: Tank Memorial in Ironton, Woody Hayes Quaker in New Phila, and Massillon Tiger.

Harding Stadium in Steub is the most interesting place I have seen. Holds 10 K and the scoreboard bursting fiery flames is really something. The best thing is the cemetery behind the visitor stands which justifies the "death valley" nickname. If you dont have any big-mouthed Big Red fans within earshot, it's a fun evening.

Runner ups for me: Tank Memorial in Ironton, Woody Hayes Quaker in New Phila, and Massillon Tiger.
The atmosphere in Steubenville is great.

What an incredibly cool look at stadiums across the US. In Ohio, we are lucky to have some of the gems that we have. I do agree with their pick of Elder being the number 1, with PBTS a very close second. Unfortunately, you don't see those standing room only crowds at Elder or really anywhere anymore. Those early 2000s seasons was when attendance was at it's peak. Regardless, The Pit is still a great venue for a game.

Been to PA, NE, KY and ND.

Some of these got listed because of who plays there or the fan atmosphere. Not the stadium.

They gravitated to bigger stadiums except for Iowa (can't not count the Little Rose Bowl) and Wyoming for being a school of a contributer.

It's a very cool stadium. Atmosphere has only been cool past couple of years when they have been good.
wasn’t nestled away in the nicest part of town but the 1 sided bleachers with trees to the south and east made it very nice. stadium lights and scoreboard were top notch. if i was the home team i wouldn’t enjoy the walk to the stadium but nicest place i’ve watched a game during my grandsons career.

I was surprised by the atmosphere at Mount Healthy in 2019. That's a neat place to watch a game. Is it the best stadium? Not by a longshot. But still a unique stadium.

My favorite is still Piqua.

Last edited:

The home section on the away side is stupid at Steubenville

Been to PA, NE, KY and ND.

Some of these got listed because of who plays there or the fan atmosphere. Not the stadium.

They gravitated to bigger stadiums except for Iowa (can't not count the Little Rose Bowl) and Wyoming for being a school of a contributer.
Before I clicked on the link, I was hoping to see West Branch be the Iowa selection. I got to see two games there in the mid-2000's as my cousins played for WB.

If you ever find yourself in Illinois/Iowa down the road, considering taking in a game at the Little Rose Bowl. It's a pretty intimate affair, a cool experience. West Branch would be D7 in Ohio. Maybe you could go in September and check out their Herbert Hoover festival!

Before I clicked on the link, I was hoping to see West Branch be the Iowa selection. I got to see two games there in the mid-2000's as my cousins played for WB.

If you ever find yourself in Illinois/Iowa down the road, considering taking in a game at the Little Rose Bowl. It's a pretty intimate affair, a cool experience. West Branch would be D7 in Ohio. Maybe you could go in September and check out their Herbert Hoover festival!
It's definitely on my long term list.

1608908308296.png

I'm very partial to any stadium having water near it . I remember one of my earliest memory's watching CFB on TV was seeing people take their boats to the game in Seattle for UDUB games. Keith Jackson and Fran k Broyles on the call .

Warren G. Harding took a standing room only crowd to The Pit in 2001. Best atmosphere I’ve ever been a part of. I’ll never see that level of spirit again.

So; I take it; that you did not attend the 1974 McKinley/Harding game at Fawcett.

:>---

SALT

Last edited:
What an incredibly cool look at stadiums across the US. In Ohio, we are lucky to have some of the gems that we have. I do agree with their pick of Elder being the number 1, with PBTS a very close second. Unfortunately, you don't see those standing room only crowds at Elder or really anywhere anymore. Those early 2000s seasons was when attendance was at it's peak. Regardless, The Pit is still a great venue for a game.
I got more high school football games by myself which means every once in a while I will talk to the guy next to me. I was talking to an Elder fan once and he stated that I could get into a game at the Pit. I can also say that the Elder fans are most cordial out of the GCL schools, even more so than LaSalle.

The atmosphere around Elder's Pit is what completes the experience. I've not been to a game there in at least 8 or so years but the place is like a festival/carnival on game nights. Just a tremendous place to enjoy HS football.

Steubenville is the best atmosphere I’ve seen as a Boardman fan.
Every one seems to like Harding stadium in Steubenville...well it is nice but on both occasions I was there for a D6 playoff game and sat on the visitors side, I felt the site lines were not great. Hard to see down the field and the players had little sideline room. Guess home side is different.

Every one seems to like Harding stadium in Steubenville...well it is nice but on both occasions I was there for a D6 playoff game and sat on the visitors side, I felt the site lines were not great. Hard to see down the field and the players had little sideline room. Guess home side is different.
The away side just got renovated and the away side having very little sideline space is purposeful so that they are even more uncomfortable from how close the fans are to the field.