Best 90s Rock Band

Crusaders

Kurt Cobain and Layne Staley both share today as their death day. Both fronted arguably the best band of the 90s: Nirvana and Alice In Chains. Curious what people today, 30 years on, think of the 90s rock bands and which ones were the best?

Huge Nirvana and AIC fan...... throw in some Pearl Jam..... when it comes to rock in the 90's it was pretty much grunge and industrial rock (Yeah, I know Industrial is a genre on it's own but it can be considered rock or metal as well)

Tool in the 90's were pretty much Metal but they are now rock so include them if you like or not.......

Nirvana
Alice In Chains
NIN

They may not have left their mark as the greatest or most culturally-influential band, but you asked for best, and from a technical musicianship, variance in style, lyrics, Smashing Pumpkins have to be very high on that list.

They’re a band that has passed the test of time for sure. I think people today probably hold them in higher esteem than they were back then (though they were very popular, I don’t remember them being thought of as on par than the big grunge acts or as the same tier as Radiohead in the later half of the decade). Their best songs are tough to beat by any band from any era

Kurt Cobain and Layne Staley both share today as their death day. Both fronted arguably the best band of the 90s: Nirvana and Alice In Chains. Curious what people today, 30 years on, think of the 90s rock bands and which ones were the best?
Only reason why Nirvana gets ranked ahead of Pearl Jam is because their lead singer offed himself.

Only good rock music in the 90's originated from the 80s

Are we talking bands that basically got big in the '90s or those that had the height of their success in the '90s?

Exploded in the '90s:
Pearl Jam
Nirvana
Green Day
Foo Fighters

Height of Success:
REM
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Beastie Boys
Jane's Addiction

Bonus, Best Hipster Bands:
Pixies
Sonic Youth
10,000 Maniacs
Wilco

Only reason why Nirvana gets ranked ahead of Pearl Jam is because their lead singer offed himself.

Only good rock music in the 90's originated from the 80s

Disagree 100% though a popular opinion among people who liked 80s rock. They were about as close to arena rock as the alt scene got

Are we talking bands that basically got big in the '90s or those that had the height of their success in the '90s?

Exploded in the '90s:
Pearl Jam
Nirvana
Green Day
Foo Fighters

Height of Success:
REM
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Beastie Boys
Jane's Addiction

Pixies
Sonic Youth
10,000 Maniacs
Wilco

Tough call on whether RHCP hit their peak in the 90s or early 2000s

Pavement is another hipster band to throw in there

Exploded in the '90s:
Pearl Jam
Nirvana
Green Day
Foo Fighters

Height of Success:
REM
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Beastie Boys
Jane's Addiction

Pixies
Sonic Youth
10,000 Maniacs
Wilco
Wilco. Nice. Saw them at the Detroit Fillmore.

I can listen to anything on that list except Sonic Youth.

We talking grunge/alternative or rock? If we are talking rock it is GNR, Metallica, and Def Leopard.

If we are talking grunge/alternative I'd say Pearl Jam, Red Hot, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Nirvana. A bunch of poser rip offs followed like STP & Candlebox. Pearl Jam 10 is one of the best albums of all time. Two of their most pushed songs (Evenflow and Jeremy) were probably the two worst from the album.

I have to agree with thevoice. The only reason Nirvana gets ranked so high is the mystique of Kurt Cobain (much like The Doors and Morrison). My two favorite Nirvana songs were remakes (Man Who Sold The World - Bowie & Where Did You Sleep Last Night - Leadbelly)

Yea..I guess thats why there's so many 90's music stations out there...lol.

Because people under 50 don't listen to the regular radio, and 90s is now grouped into "classic rock". "Alternative radio" has been dead for at least a decade.

90s bands have huge numbers on YouTube, Spotify, etc.

Nirvana was the biggest band in the world when Cobain died. Acting like people rate them highly because of his death makes very little sense

Californication came out in ‘99, so I’m considering the 90s their peak.

I guess. It was released in the 90s but their popularity resurgence lasted till like 2010ish, which was longer than their brief very early 90s height during Blood Sugar Sex Magic's run