Best 10-season run?

Another interesting aspect to this thread would have been..."Why did it end?".
I imagine coaching change is the most common reason.

Great question.
I will take up Mar11on and Co7dwa7er:
MSML: It is on going. They did lose in the playoffs this year which was their first loss to a D7 team I do believe. Maybe their dynasty is over?

For Coldwater,
Coldwater from 2007-2016:
131-17
Five state titles; four state runner-up,

I would say two main reasons:
1. They had some amazing classes in that time frame. Classes are still good, but hard to truly keep up that pace.

2. They dropped from DV to DVI, and DVI proved to be more difficult than DV with Marion Local in the way!

Just my opinion:
-The rise back to prominence of St Edward football
-Depth declined significantly (guess we didn't recruit enough)
-Ignatius was advanced at passing during their run. Other teams started throwing the ball more
-it just wasn't possible to dominate D1 the way Ignatius had been doing it any longer.

If I remember correctly, the 1997 graduates lost their first game of their freshman season, won the next 54, and then lost the state championship to end their careers.
You're correct. In that 54 game win streak the Tigers won a couple games that the ball bounced their way. The state championship game they lost,the Tigers blew a lead with some turnovers.

Great question.
I will take up Mar11on and Co7dwa7er:
MSML: It is on going. They did lose in the playoffs this year which was their first loss to a D7 team I do believe. Maybe their dynasty is over?

For Coldwater,
Coldwater from 2007-2016:
131-17
Five state titles; four state runner-up,

I would say two main reasons:
1. They had some amazing classes in that time frame. Classes are still good, but hard to truly keep up that pace.

2. They dropped from DV to DVI, and DVI proved to be more difficult than DV with Marion Local in the way!
What about Kirtland in D5?

This is the case for Newark Catholic. NC has won 1 state title (2007) since JD retired after the 1991 season. It is scary to think how much more JD could have accomplished had he stayed at NC as I believe he was only 44 years old when he retired.

Newark Catholic had 2 things going against them after Graham retired in 1991:

1) The breakup of the Licking County League forced NC to go play in the Central Catholic League. NC was good but they were trending down in the 90’s as Desales & Watterson were trending up. I don’t know if NC ever beat either while they were in the CCL

2) As with most small catholic schools in small towns throughout Ohio, dwindling population and loss of jobs meant lower student enrollments. NC wasn't getting bigger, they were struggling to keep enrollment

I’m sure Graham would have helped but I don’t think the 1980’s NC would have continued on as dominant in the 90’s with him.

What about 'em? I am staying in my lane and only commenting on teams I have first hand knowledge about.
Plus, there are enough K fans who can bloviate about their team.
I think it's an interesting topic, how would the Cavs competed with the Hornets How about Van Wert vs the Cavs and the Hornets.
How about the Flyers vs Hornets the last few years?
I guess what I'm getting at, how good is Kirtland?

I think it's an interesting topic, how would the Cavs competed with the Hornets How about Van Wert vs the Cavs and the Hornets.

In my eyes, Kirtland is one of the small school teams outside of the MAC that I generally expect to be as dominant as they are, year in and year out. Similar to how I view Coldwater and Marion Local. In all fairness, I think those schools have earned that type of respect over their past 10-15 years of football at the small school level (DV-DVII)

I have seen them play enough over the years and this has always been my takeaway.

They are extremely well coached, tough and disciplined kids no doubt about that. Reminds me a lot of MAC teams.

All they do is win. And win. And win. And win.

You truly do not notice how good they are until your team, or a team you know very well, goes up against them. I watched 'em vs whomever they whipped in the finals and it was the same ole same ole for them. You come away by just watching them on film or against someone else that you should be OK against them. They typically dont wow you..........

Until you face them one on one.

That is when they shine, no doubt about that.

Coldwater looks be down for the foreseeable future, but if the Cavs are fortunate to ever make it back into the finals and find themselves facing the Hornets all I could ask for is it to be close in the 4th QTR and who knows what will happen.

I have seen them play enough over the years and this has always been my takeaway.

They are extremely well coached, tough and disciplined kids no doubt about that. Reminds me a lot of MAC teams.

All they do is win. And win. And win. And win.

You truly do not notice how good they are until your team, or a team you know very well, goes up against them. I watched 'em vs whomever they whipped in the finals and it was the same ole same ole for them. You come away by just watching them on film or against someone else that you should be OK against them. They typically dont wow you..........

Until you face them one on one.

That is when they shine, no doubt about that.

Coldwater looks be down for the foreseeable future, but if the Cavs are fortunate to ever make it back into the finals and find themselves facing the Hornets all I could ask for is it to be close in the 4th QTR and who knows what will happen.
I wonder if their lineman push the sled much?

This is the case for Newark Catholic. NC has won 1 state title (2007) since JD retired after the 1991 season. It is scary to think how much more JD could have accomplished had he stayed at NC as I believe he was only 44 years old when he retired.
I’ve seen quite a few posters over the years compare Tiger LaVerde’s run at Kirtland to that of JD Graham at Newark Catholic. LaVerde is in his 40s & appears to be on his strongest run yet.

Does someone happen to know why Graham elected to retire early? Seems to me he could have had at least a handful more double-digit win seasons, and even some more titles, no?

Trimble 2010-2019:
2010 7-4 lost to Shadyside in Regional Quarterfinals 36-20
2011 7-4 lost to Symmes Valley in Regional Quarterfinals 28-19
2012: 10-2 lost to Newark Catholic in Regional Semifinals 20-13
2013 14-1 lost to Marion Local in Division VII State Title 33-0
2014 13-1 lost to Norwalk St. Paul in Division VII Final Four 41-13
2015 9-3 lost to Caldwell in Regional Semifinals 40-19
2016 9-3 lost to Waterford in Regional Semifinals 22-0
2017 9-3 lost to Danville in Regional Semifinals 27-10
2018 13-2 lost to McComb in Division VII State Title 28-3
2019 11-1 lost to New Middletown Springfield 20-19

102-24
3 Regional Titles
3 State Final Fours
2 State Runner Ups

Shadyside 2005-2014:
They appeared in the state finals twice. They made the playoffs every year. In nine of those ten years, they won at least one playoff game. They were 102-26.

Trotwood Madison 2010-2020
Overall: 122-27

Playoff Appearances: 11- 10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20*

Regional Championships: 9- 10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,19

Final 4 appearance: 9- 10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,19

State Championship Game appearance: 7- 10,11,12,13,16,17,19

State Championships: 3- 11,17,19

RAMNATION ALMIGHTY

Last edited:
We in absolutely no way measure up, but Defiance's best 10 years was 1994-2003

94: 10-2 Regional finalist, lost to Walsh Jesuit
95: 3-7
96: 7-4, Lost round 1 to Watterson. WBL co-champ
97: 14-0 WBL champs, D2 state champs
98: 6-4
99: 7-3
2000: 12-1 WBL champs. Lost to Buchtel in OT in regional finals
2001: 9-3, lost by 3 to Avon Lake round 2
2002: 5-5
2003: 10-3, lost to state champ Avon Lake in regional finals

83-32
6 playoff appearances
3 league titles (JUST missed out to some good Kenton/St. Marys teams in 94, 01, and 03).
4 regional finals
1 state championship

Last edited:
We in absolutely no way measure up, but Defiance's best 10 years was 1994-2003

94: 10-2 Regional finalist, lost to Walsh Jesuit
95: 3-7
96: 7-4, Lost round 1 to Watterson. WBL co-champ
97: 14-0 WBL champs, D2 state champs
98: 6-4
99: 7-3
2000: 12-1 WBL champs. Lost to Buchtel in OT in regional finals
2001: 9-3, lost by 3 to Avon Lake round 2
2002: 5-5
2003: 10-3, lost to state champ Avon Lake in regional finals

83-32
6 playoff appearances
2 league titles (JUST missed out to some good Kenton/St. Marys teams in 94, 01, and 03).
4 regional finals
1 state championship
You may not feel you measured up, but honestly, many would buy that Resume'.

What is your point? How many teams have a whole season of shutouts? Here is their record for 1930. Canton McKinley was 7-3, and Massillon Washington was 6-3-1. They were playing tough competition then.

Pittsburgh Oliver 39-0
Pittsburgh Allegheny 58-0
Columbus Central 45-0
Canton McKinley 7-0
Dayton Stivers 6-0
@ Massillon Washington 19-0
@ Youngstown Chaney 33-0
Columbus Aquinas 33-0
Ashtabula 63-0

What is your point? How many teams have a whole season of shutouts? Here is their record for 1930. Canton McKinley was 7-3, and Massillon Washington was 6-3-1. They were playing tough competition then.

Pittsburgh Oliver 39-0
Columbus Central 45-0
Canton McKinley 7-0
Dayton Stivers 6-0
@ Youngstown Chaney 33-0
Columbus Aquinas 33-0
Ashtabula 63-0
Again, we deal with context of time. For example, Massillon didn't become Massillon until Paul Brown took over.

When SHS played consistent "tough" competition, it didn't fare so hot. The AAC couldn't end soon enough for the chewing gum.

Pittsburgh Oliver 39-0
Columbus Central 45-0
Canton McKinley 7-0
Dayton Stivers 6-0
@ Youngstown Chaney 33-0
Columbus Aquinas 33-0
Ashtabula 63-0

I have done extensive research on many local teams over the years and I know that Big Red was undefeated and unscored upon in 1930, an outstanding accomplishment for any team. I certainly mean no disrespect but I would bet a substantial amount that the score of the 1930 Big Red-Chaney game was 7-0 Big Red. It was played in Girard and featured goal line stands by both teams and a 90+yard punt by Puck Burgwin before Steubenville scored in the 4th quarter to win 7-0.

I have done extensive research on many local teams over the years and I know that Big Red was undefeated and unscored upon in 1930, an outstanding accomplishment for any team. I certainly mean no disrespect but I would bet a substantial amount that the score of the 1930 Big Red-Chaney game was 7-0 Big Red. It was played in Girard and featured goal line stands by both teams and a 90+yard punt by Puck Burgwin before Steubenville scored in the 4th quarter to win 7-0.
I would listen to Ytown. He was a HS sophomore that year.

I would listen to Ytown. He was a HS sophomore that year.

Scipio,

It seems that I have gone from the guy ragging on Buckeye Bill, may he rest in peace, about his age to the guy being ragged on about his age. However it does beat the alternative which you may find out about if this abuse continues. :)