Benedictine Bengals Basketball 2020-2021

Here is the schedule> https://bengalsathletics.com/teams/2936088/boys/basketball/varsity/schedule

Notable programs that remain on the new Independent schedule are St. Ed's, Hoban, St. Ignatius, SVSM, and VASJ. A lot of public schools are added: Boardman, Copley, Revere, Solon, Mentor, North Royalton, Massillon, Worthington, and Beachwood. Of interest is that Hoban & VASJ are the only former NCL schools still on the schedule, guess the Bengals shouldn't holding their breath to an invite from the new Crown Conference.

I will get a roster by next week. The schedule could be in flux depending on the Covid .A couple of scrimmages have already been cancelled. Have y'all seen the newly painted ceiling in the gym.

Looks nice, but it also needs better acoustics. Hope they don't put those ugly vinyl pads back up. By the way, there were plans several years ago to remodel and expand the gym entrance. What ever happened th that?

I saw the Benedictine-Medina scrimmage yesterday. I'm only a little familiar with Benedictine, but it looks like they started juniors Hearst and Maiden. Then sophomore big man Sam Brown and I believe one of the guards was also a Sophomore (but not 100 percent, he was wearing no. 5). Not sure who the other guard was, but he was wearing no. 8.

They played 6 varsity quarters and Medina won five of them (2, 6, 15, 5, 8). Benedictine won one (the third) by 2. They played a 7th quarter which was Medina varsity backups vs. Benedictine JV which Medina won 17-3, but that was to be expected.

Medina is very good, probably top 10 D1 and top 5 overall in NEO. But I thought Benedictine looked alright. They didn't shoot well (only 2 or 3 three pointers total) and Medina killed them in fast breaks (at least five dunks and five more easy layups). But Maiden and Brown looked pretty good down low (though Chris Howard-Caffey of Medina was by far the best big man out there). Hearst is a load and got some getting to the rim. He's a tank though.

My outside take is they will be decent and should be able to bully teams around the rim (Maiden, Brown and Hearst are all physically imposing). But they need much better guard play to make a run.

I saw the Benedictine-Medina scrimmage yesterday. I'm only a little familiar with Benedictine, but it looks like they started juniors Hearst and Maiden. Then sophomore big man Sam Brown and I believe one of the guards was also a Sophomore (but not 100 percent, he was wearing no. 5). Not sure who the other guard was, but he was wearing no. 8.

They played 6 varsity quarters and Medina won five of them (2, 6, 15, 5, 8). Benedictine won one (the third) by 2. They played a 7th quarter which was Medina varsity backups vs. Benedictine JV which Medina won 17-3, but that was to be expected.

Medina is very good, probably top 10 D1 and top 5 overall in NEO. But I thought Benedictine looked alright. They didn't shoot well (only 2 or 3 three pointers total) and Medina killed them in fast breaks (at least five dunks and five more easy layups). But Maiden and Brown looked pretty good down low (though Chris Howard-Caffey of Medina was by far the best big man out there). Hearst is a load and got some getting to the rim. He's a tank though.

My outside take is they will be decent and should be able to bully teams around the rim (Maiden, Brown and Hearst are all physically imposing). But they need much better guard play to make a run.
Great analysis and about what I would expect from the Bengals this year.
Front court should be a load for a lot of teams. I’m excited to watch them the next 2 years.
Maiden improved every game last year in only his 3rd season playing basketball so it should be fun to watch him grow. Last year Sam Brown looked like he’s loaded with potential and I expect him to become our 2nd best scoring option by the end of the year. Jalen Brown and Ja’Wuan Howard we’re probably the other guards with Brown being a pass first point guard (a rarity for the Bengals) and Howard being the best 3 point shooter of the bunch. The star of the show is going to be Detric Hearst. With Maiden and Brown on the court Hearst could draw a smaller defender and I’d expect teams to struggle stopping him from getting to the rim.

Benedictine Freshmen beat by Ignatius 78-53. I really thought this game would have been more competitive. Bene could not handle the press.

Bengals lose to Mentor 100-80. Only plus from this game was Jalen Brown. 36 points .
Once again , Benedictine had way too many turnovers . They do not know how to handle the press. If they cut the turnovers in half , they can be in every game .
On a positive note , the freshman Won 67-48. They are a solid group .

It was a game of runs. Looked like Benedictine was going to get run off the floor, but they fought back. Mentor was pretty cold from three and the Bengals got it to 42-36 early in second half. Mentor ended up scoring like 40 in the 3rd quarter to pull away.

Their record is 1-9 right now, if my math is correct (only win being against Youngstown Urban Scholars?).

Wonder why Bene has struggled this year. Because this isn't like the Bengals to be this far down. And a schedule that features Hoban, North Royalton, and Beachwood does them no favors.

Were the Gilmour Academy and VASJ games cancelled because both teams came down with COVID issues?

Their record is 1-9 right now, if my math is correct (only win being against Youngstown Urban Scholars?).

Wonder why Bene has struggled this year. Because this isn't like the Bengals to be this far down. And a schedule that features Hoban, North Royalton, and Beachwood does them no favors.

Were the Gilmour Academy and VASJ games cancelled because both teams came down with COVID issues?
Yes. Gilmour and VA/SJ are dealing with Covid issues. Next game for the Bengals is Friday vs Hoban. Bengals have picked up a game at Painsville Harvey Feb 9 at Harvey. JV and Varsity Freshmen will play VA/SJ at home that same day.

All Bengal basketball games all three levels are streamed via YouTube Benedictine page. All games are live with a approx. 35 second delay. CYO games are streamed live on Sundays as well.