Benedictine Bengals Basketball 2020-2021

Auggie

Here is the schedule> https://bengalsathletics.com/teams/2936088/boys/basketball/varsity/schedule

Notable programs that remain on the new Independent schedule are St. Ed's, Hoban, St. Ignatius, SVSM, and VASJ. A lot of public schools are added: Boardman, Copley, Revere, Solon, Mentor, North Royalton, Massillon, Worthington, and Beachwood. Of interest is that Hoban & VASJ are the only former NCL schools still on the schedule, guess the Bengals shouldn't holding their breath to an invite from the new Crown Conference.

MrBeneBengal

Here is the schedule> https://bengalsathletics.com/teams/2936088/boys/basketball/varsity/schedule

Notable programs that remain on the new Independent schedule are St. Ed's, Hoban, St. Ignatius, SVSM, and VASJ. A lot of public schools are added: Boardman, Copley, Revere, Solon, Mentor, North Royalton, Massillon, Worthington, and Beachwood. Of interest is that Hoban & VASJ are the only former NCL schools still on the schedule, guess the Bengals shouldn't holding their breath to an invite from the new Crown Conference.
It’s a bit early , but would love to see a roster . HUDL still has Devon Fox on Bene roster .

fr willie

I will get a roster by next week. The schedule could be in flux depending on the Covid .A couple of scrimmages have already been cancelled. Have y'all seen the newly painted ceiling in the gym.

oldbengal

Looks nice, but it also needs better acoustics. Hope they don't put those ugly vinyl pads back up. By the way, there were plans several years ago to remodel and expand the gym entrance. What ever happened th that?

SVillegrad

I saw the Benedictine-Medina scrimmage yesterday. I'm only a little familiar with Benedictine, but it looks like they started juniors Hearst and Maiden. Then sophomore big man Sam Brown and I believe one of the guards was also a Sophomore (but not 100 percent, he was wearing no. 5). Not sure who the other guard was, but he was wearing no. 8.

They played 6 varsity quarters and Medina won five of them (2, 6, 15, 5, 8). Benedictine won one (the third) by 2. They played a 7th quarter which was Medina varsity backups vs. Benedictine JV which Medina won 17-3, but that was to be expected.

Medina is very good, probably top 10 D1 and top 5 overall in NEO. But I thought Benedictine looked alright. They didn't shoot well (only 2 or 3 three pointers total) and Medina killed them in fast breaks (at least five dunks and five more easy layups). But Maiden and Brown looked pretty good down low (though Chris Howard-Caffey of Medina was by far the best big man out there). Hearst is a load and got some getting to the rim. He's a tank though.

My outside take is they will be decent and should be able to bully teams around the rim (Maiden, Brown and Hearst are all physically imposing). But they need much better guard play to make a run.

Just.here

I saw the Benedictine-Medina scrimmage yesterday. I'm only a little familiar with Benedictine, but it looks like they started juniors Hearst and Maiden. Then sophomore big man Sam Brown and I believe one of the guards was also a Sophomore (but not 100 percent, he was wearing no. 5). Not sure who the other guard was, but he was wearing no. 8.

They played 6 varsity quarters and Medina won five of them (2, 6, 15, 5, 8). Benedictine won one (the third) by 2. They played a 7th quarter which was Medina varsity backups vs. Benedictine JV which Medina won 17-3, but that was to be expected.

Medina is very good, probably top 10 D1 and top 5 overall in NEO. But I thought Benedictine looked alright. They didn't shoot well (only 2 or 3 three pointers total) and Medina killed them in fast breaks (at least five dunks and five more easy layups). But Maiden and Brown looked pretty good down low (though Chris Howard-Caffey of Medina was by far the best big man out there). Hearst is a load and got some getting to the rim. He's a tank though.

My outside take is they will be decent and should be able to bully teams around the rim (Maiden, Brown and Hearst are all physically imposing). But they need much better guard play to make a run.
Great analysis and about what I would expect from the Bengals this year.
Front court should be a load for a lot of teams. I’m excited to watch them the next 2 years.
Maiden improved every game last year in only his 3rd season playing basketball so it should be fun to watch him grow. Last year Sam Brown looked like he’s loaded with potential and I expect him to become our 2nd best scoring option by the end of the year. Jalen Brown and Ja’Wuan Howard we’re probably the other guards with Brown being a pass first point guard (a rarity for the Bengals) and Howard being the best 3 point shooter of the bunch. The star of the show is going to be Detric Hearst. With Maiden and Brown on the court Hearst could draw a smaller defender and I’d expect teams to struggle stopping him from getting to the rim.