Benedictine 2020

Few thoughts from the Hoban game:

The quality of coaching between the offense and defense is growing more and more noticeable. I thought Prevesk called his best game as offensive coordinator. He was creative and took advantage of an over aggressive Hoban defense. Also looks like he took my advice from after the SVSM game and got the QB more involved in the run game which proved to be very effective.

The defense on the other hand was disappointing to say the least. Hoban scoring 31 was not an accurate representation of how the defense played. It easily, and should have, have been 40+. The part that drives me crazy about the defense is that they try to run the “Gregg Williams defense.” Which puts a single safety 20+ yards off the line of scrimmage making him a non-factor on a majority of plays. Bene was essentially playing 11 v 10 on defense most of the night and you could see that by how wide open the middle of the field was on almost every passing play. Against bad teams like SVSM this strategy worked because the free safety could bate the below average QB into making mistakes, but against a good team with a good QB this defense will continually get picked apart.

Proud of how the guys fought and never gave up after some big plays by Hoban, but this team definitely has some work to do if they want to make a deep run in D2.

Go Bengals
I thought the same thing. The emotions are always high after a hard fought game. There were a lot of great takeaways from the game. The team kept fighting. You can tell that they were all fighting together. The QB seems to keep them in games. He was under a ton of pressure last night with 2 DE's that looked like they can play in Big Time college programs. The #11 player had a heck of a game. Seemed like he was either running the ball or tackling someone. Very impressed with that young man. #15 is the best athlete on the field. But, what are the coaches credentials? Defense couldn't contain the ends or stop the big play. Next week they have 2 D1 WR's. Do they not have a zone defense package? I have never seen that much confusion on a sideline at the end of a big game? Even on live stream it looked like they were all running around or just looking on the field with no calls? Why couldn't they get the play calls in? It seemed like it was 2nd and 2 from the 2 yard line and the QB was hurrying the coaches to get the calls in? Its 2nd and 2....theres only 2 plays.....QB sneak or RB blast? It looked like I was watching a youth recreational game? Big games will always spotlight inexperience. It was obvious. The hope is that the coaches recognize their shortfalls and make the adjustments. It will tell what kind of leaders they are. This could be the experience to help make that adjustments. It all goes back to the head coach and how he is able to manage that process. There is no time to sulk. Time to learn, adapt, and get back to work. Because its Massillion next week. how does a top tier game get that referee crew? Were we able to save a couple bucks to get the D-level refs. What a mess that was. Seemed like they couldn't place the ball in the right spot all night. Missed 2 horse collars and it seemed like a couple pass interferences in the last series that were right in front of the back judge. Those could be toss ups but definitely thought 1 was obvious. With big games that needs to be a priority to have the right crew. What a mess that was. First home game in a new stadium and that crew came out of a clown car. Some final thoughts. The addition to the student on the boxcast was great. he did a nice job announcing. added another level depth to the broadcast. Also the new field looked amazing. I hope more tickets open up to see a game there.

i do love watching this team and the boxcast has allowed a ton more viewers. Hope it remains in place for the long term.

I'm very thankful we can watch the Bengals during this pandemic. With that said, I don't even mind paying $10 for BHS games, or any other high school games I'd like to watch IF the quality of the broadcasting improves. Boxcast accepts constructive criticism and observations to be passed onto the schools doing the camera work and commentary. I would encourage everyone to participate in this process so broadcasts may improve and become more enjoyable. Simply email Boxcast, or if there is a purchase involved, just return email the confirming passcode.

Warren and St. V's camera work was poor. The camera work by Hoban was much better, with some slow reaction to the passing game. The biggest detractions last night were the reflections of the EXIT sign and commentators' images onto the booth windows the camera was shooting through, the expected bias of the commentators, and the annoying pronunciation of our beloved school's name. As Fr. Robert used to say, Benedic-teen is an after-dinner drink. Munch has been a fan of BHS over the years, so I was surprised that he did not correct his Hoban partner.

Go Bengals!

I'm very thankful we can watch the Bengals during this pandemic. With that said, I don't even mind paying $10 for BHS games, or any other high school games I'd like to watch IF the quality of the broadcasting improves. Boxcast accepts constructive criticism and observations to be passed onto the schools doing the camera work and commentary. I would encourage everyone to participate in this process so broadcasts may improve and become more enjoyable. Simply email Boxcast, or if there is a purchase involved, just return email the confirming passcode.

Warren and St. V's camera work was poor. The camera work by Hoban was much better, with some slow reaction to the passing game. The biggest detractions last night were the reflections of the EXIT sign and commentators' images onto the booth windows the camera was shooting through, the expected bias of the commentators, and the annoying pronunciation of our beloved school's name. As Fr. Robert used to say, Benedic-teen is an after-dinner drink. Munch has been a fan of BHS over the years, so I was surprised that he did not correct his Hoban partner.

Go Bengals!
Benedictine had their own boxcast last night, the picture quality and camera work was really well done.

I wish I knew Redwing. I just picked up a link from this page. Next time I'll look closer if it's a home game. Thanks.
The Harding and Hoban broadcasts were posted on bengalsathletics.com so hopefully you should be able to find links there for the remainder of the season.

A couple thoughts on the Hoban game:

- While the score was close Hoban was the better team, if this was a boxing match there may have been no KO but it would have been a unanimous decision for the Knights. That being said Hoban is a top 5 team regardless of Division in Ohio and Benny gave a better effort than what Ed's gave them the week before, that is something to build off of for the rest of the year.

- The offense seems to be starting to look like LY and the OL played better against a great front 7 from Hoban. Schultz in particular is rounding into form and is great at making throws into a tight window. Of the RBs I like Jackson the best and I would cut down on the rotation and get him more touches.

- The defense has some challenges and I would like to see some improvement from this unit, not sure what it is but they just don't seem to be taking it to the opponent. The DBs especially seem suspect at times to WRs that run sharp crisp routes. At the HS level I am not a fan of zone defense but maybe this side should consider it against better teams like Hoban.

- Hoban passes the look test, they all looked very buff including the QB. They are the chalk for Div II and it showed by not having a sharp game and still getting a positive result. They do need to tighten up their mental aspects, especially for such a Senior dominate team.

- Euclid Community Stadium looked great on the Boxcast. I had reservations leading into the season but this might have been a good choice in the long run.

Sloppy , sad, and pathetic performance by the Bengals . Start with Gales , unsportsmanlike at a critical time . How many dropped balls between Gales and Lott ?
How many penalties this game ? It’s week after week after week! Clean it up !!!!!!
And this at the end ...
“Benedictine assistant coach has to be pulled away from Massillon coaches at least three times after the game. “
What is this crap ??? !!

Some of this is the opponent, Massillon plays chippy and tries to get you in to this kind of game. Heck, their coach was baiting Schultz on one of the INT returns.
Man stop it we dont play chippy we play hard especially on defense Massillon MO as always been black swarm defense with big hits now don't get me wrong we do some stupid ish sometimes but tonight wasnt on us

Sloppy , sad, and pathetic performance by the Bengals . Start with Gales , unsportsmanlike at a critical time . How many dropped balls between Gales and Lott ?
How many penalties this game ? It’s week after week after week! Clean it up !!!!!!
And this at the end ...
“Benedictine assistant coach has to be pulled away from Massillon coaches at least three times after the game. “
What is this crap ??? !!

What is sad, you don’t give any credit to the team that won the game. That speaks volumes.

What is sad, you don’t give any credit to the team that won the game. That speaks volumes.
I think everyone who supports Benedictine is disappointed in the product on the field tonight and we have some criticism on the team. Not sure how that “speaks volumes.”

And this at the end ...
What is this crap ??? !!

I'm guessing our coaches were pissed-off that Massillon didn't just kneel on the ball with 1:36 left.

We're always going to get homered in Massillon, so just stop playing them. Back in '63 I believe it was 0-0 at the half, but we eventually lost 22-0. In that second half there were more flags than could be seen at the United Nations Building. And Augie-coached teams don't play undisciplined.

We wasted two time outs early. They never ran the ball once at the 10-yard line before that first pick. With 8 minutes to go, there was no reason to immediately throw the ball 35-40 yards downfield. We had the chance to go up 17-14, eat time off the clock, and give the defense a rest. I would have called more short to intermediate passes, understanding that 5 defenders at the second level makes it tough. But our guys were getting open in front of the safeties, and our line opened some nice holes throughout the game. What never worked was the lateral pass.

Feedback on the telecast: The streaming was blurry when the camera moved. When it was stationary, like fixated on the band at halftime, it was clear. It didn't look like weather was a factor. The announcers were pitiful.

Last edited:
I'm guessing our coaches were pissed-off that Massillon didn't just kneel on the ball with 1:36 left.

We're always going to get homered in Massillon, so just stop playing them. Back in '63 I believe it was 0-0 at the half, but we eventually lost 22-0. In that second half there were more flags than could be seen at the United Nations Building. And Augie-coached teams don't play undisciplined.

We wasted two time outs early. They never ran the ball once at the 10-yard line before that first pick. With 8 minutes to go, there was no reason to immediately throw the ball 35-40 yards downfield. We had the chance to go up 17-14, eat time off the clock, and give the defense a rest. I would have called more short to intermediate passes, understanding that 5 defenders at the second level makes it tough. But our guys were getting open in front of the safeties, and our line opened some nice holes throughout the game. What never worked was the lateral pass.

The announcers were pitiful.

LOL! The best team won the game. The score should have been at least 35-3.

The announcers were pitiful.
The last drive we ran the ball 8 straight plays up the middle with a 3rd string RB, the score was 21-10. How about make a freakin tackle and stop it.