Benedictine 2020

Hearing we are looking for a new home field .
Also, I always think back to when Regina closed. That campus would have been great for Benedictine.

Hearing we are looking for a new home field .
Also, I always think back to when Regina closed. That campus would have been great for Benedictine.

1st I have heard about finding a new home field.

South Euclid is nothing great at this time and the SND's always wanted the Regina facility for Notre Dame College. Nonetheless the Benedictine Monks take a vow of stability that is why the are sticking it out where they are now. Also the Regina location is not central and too far from freeway so access for students from the south side of the footprint would have a tough commute.

Has the Week 7 game with Hoban been cancelled or moved? I see on the OHSAA Open Dates page, Benedictine is looking for Week 7 and 10 games, now.

Congrats to Joe Schaefer on being named the new DC at Youngstown State.

From those 02-05 Championship (level) teams you now have 2 college coordinators and a BUNCH of assistants at the HS level. Speaks a lot to Coach Bortnick and his staff and to the men now paying it forward as adults.

I really hope Bene and LC keep each other on the schedule for many years. Heard some rumors that they may not play in the future. It’s an underrated rivalry in my opinion.

Here's what I have for Week 10. These are teams I haven't found games for, not necessarily open. (Senate League)

10 BIDWELL RIVER VALLEY
10 CINCINNATI HILLS CHRISTIAN ACADEMY
10 CINCINNATI TAFT
10 CLEVELAND BENEDICTINE
10 CLEVELAND COLLINWOOD
10 CLEVELAND EAST TECH
10 CLEVELAND GLENVILLE
10 CLEVELAND JOHN ADAMS
10 CLEVELAND JOHN F KENNEDY
10 CLEVELAND JOHN HAY
10 CLEVELAND JOHN MARSHALL
10 CLEVELAND LINCOLN WEST
10 CLEVELAND RHODES
10 CLEVELAND VILLA ANGELA-ST JOSEPH
10 CONNEAUT
10 DAYTON BELMONT
10 DAYTON DUNBAR
10 DOHN COMMUNITY
10 EDON
10 EUCLID
10 FORT FRYE
10 GARFIELD HEIGHTS
10 JEFFERSON TOWNSHIP
10 LIMA CENTRAL CATHOLIC
10 MANCHESTER
10 MOGADORE
10 RIDGEDALE
10 SANDUSKY ST. MARY'S
10 UNIVERSITY SCHOOL
10 WARREN HARDING
10 WARRENSVILLE HEIGHTS

You may want to check with Garfield Heights, University School and Warrensville Heights as they have all scheduled each other.

Last edited:
Kind of shocked they could fill week 10, I thought for sure they would be idle the last week of the season which is not ideal. While not a huge fan of the NCL it did make scheduling weeks 5-10 much easier on the AD.

Kind of shocked they could fill week 10, I thought for sure they would be idle the last week of the season which is not ideal. While not a huge fan of the NCL it did make scheduling weeks 5-10 much easier on the AD.
Just curious. What were your issues with the NCL?

1st I have heard about finding a new home field.

South Euclid is nothing great at this time and the SND's always wanted the Regina facility for Notre Dame College. Nonetheless the Benedictine Monks take a vow of stability that is why the are sticking it out where they are now. Also the Regina location is not central and too far from freeway so access for students from the south side of the footprint would have a tough commute.
Brooklyn High School Field would be a good choice. Close to the freeway, close to restaurants, easy access. I know they're interested in renting their field to Benedictine.

1965.jpg

While Brooklyn checks a lot of boxes it moves Benny further away from their traditional east side base. Also, while they have not been filling up Bedford the visiting side stands at Brooklyn are puny and you could kiss good bye to getting any decent sized Division 1 or 2 school to play a home/home series if that is the way things start to head with the dismantling of the NCL. Heck Fitch's band will take up 1/2 the visiting stands. The infrastructure there is not the best either, they are use to Brooklyn crowds in the lower hundreds. I remember Benny playing Maumee in a Div 2 playoff game at this stadium and it was a cluster F with regards to parking, concessions, and restrooms. Also the lighting and scoreboard are way below the standards of a Bedford. Now I understand the cost factor and that is probably the biggest factor; if Brooklyn is ready to beef some things up and allow Benny to brand the stadium during their games it would make sense.

Benedictine has been averaging about 600-700 people per home games in recent years. First Home game of the season I bet the average crowd is around 800-1,000 people. I think Brooklyn Stadium can accommodate 2,800-3,000 people. It could be tough for a playoff game. The year Benedictine played at Woodridge, in the opening round, it was a lot of fun in a packed house. I bet there were only 1,800 people there, but it felt like 10,000.

Benedictine has been averaging about 600-700 people per home games in recent years. First Home game of the season I bet the average crowd is around 800-1,000 people. I think Brooklyn Stadium can accommodate 2,800-3,000 people. It could be tough for a playoff game. The year Benedictine played at Woodridge, in the opening round, it was a lot of fun in a packed house. I bet there were only 1,800 people there, but it felt like 10,000.
Yeah, I wouldn't be worrying too much about visiting fan crowd sizes. Most fan bases don't fill their own side most games, let alone travel to the away games in any great numbers. There are some exceptions, but for the most part HS football attendance is way down all over. Brooklyn would hold any crowd Benny would need, I'm guessing.

Yeah, I wouldn't be worrying too much about visiting fan crowd sizes. Most fan bases don't fill their own side most games, let alone travel to the away games in any great numbers. There are some exceptions, but for the most part HS football attendance is way down all over. Brooklyn would hold any crowd Benny would need, I'm guessing.
Not if y'all plan on playing the tigers....

I can’t imagine any tigers coming to play at wherever Benedictine’s home field is.
I agree. Massillon only would schedule St Ignatius on their home field. They would not schedule a Home & Home with Ignatius. So Iggy/Massillon is only a 1 year deal.