Benedictine 2020

OSU_FB11

A lot to digest here as what was supposed to be a banner year for the Benedictine football team fell very short of expectations and has yet again brought some soul searching on direction of the program. At some point I will post thoughts on what happened on the field and what the future may hold but the bottom line is that because some dude ate a bad raw bat in China it probably affected the fortunes of a HS football team on the other side of the world.

• First and foremost the school needs to be strengthened as an institution to make anything else associated with it more than just respectable. As a place that charges a decent amount of $s for a good but not great product I really think Benedictine needs to elevate its game to help overcome the location issue. The leadership team in place seems strong and I think the energy is there to make it a destination for young men looking for a quality single sex Catholic education. The next piece of the puzzle seems to be moving forward and that is the $s being invested through the centennial campaign into the physical campus that is needed and long over due. The Opportunity Corridor project should help to make it easier for folks in the southern and western 'burbs get the school which is where it seems most suburban students come from these days. But there is still a lot of work that needs to be done as Benedictine is still somewhat stuck in the good old days. There are things that can be done that are not high cost too: beef up and be at the forefront of a social media presence, develop strategic partnerships with University Circle institutions, and be a beacon of hope in a challenged neighborhood.
  • Transitioning over to athletics... From what I have heard and seen the current AD has been a nice addition to the team and this could be a blue print for future personnel moves. Because of the changing times there is no longer an ensconced coach that is almost like a priest staying at 1 school for a lifetime working for peanuts. Guys like Bossu are not happening anymore and once Kyle leaves Iggy they will be in the same boat. We had probably the perfect candidate for this type of guy in Coach Schaeffer yet I don't blame him for wanting to make a career out of football and to support a family these days he needed to move on. Point being the model I could see working at Benny is a coach system that has recent alumni with energy being mentored by more seasoned grads or recently vested OPERS public coaches that don't need the bigger $s but still want the challenges and rewards of coaching at a high profile program. Then if the younger guys need to move on there are guys ready to step in with the mentors in place to help in a transition.
  • I respect what Coach Goode is trying to do with the program's direction but from what I have seen his management of day to day aspects and especially his attention to detail is lacking. Looking at the staff I don't really see that guy who can come up to him and tell him maybe he should look at doing X differently or try Y. The football program is screaming for some kind of senior mentoring personnel.
  • With regards to a football action team... As a wise man said, a camel is horse designed by a committee. Not sure a bunch of curmudgeons alums are the answer to getting things going in the right direction. I would rather see this energy be focused into supporting the team through aspects like some sort of alumni backing structure that allows a connection to the program by staying engaged in a variety of manners but not having a say in day to day operations. I would like to see a term limited alumni volunteer football admin position created to act as a bridge between the current football staff and the alumni base so there is accountability and transparent communications on key decisions.
  • I do know Jeff Rotsky and have an informed opinion on his coaching abilities. His style works for certain types of programs, Benedictine is not one of them for a variety of reasons. If anyone would like to discuss specifics I would do so through a message as opposed to a public forum.
  • Finally I don't think there is any program in Ohio that has been more affected by the competitive balance multiplier than Benedictine. Because of the Covid things will stay the same again in 2021 and with the reduced enrollment it really is a Div IV sized team that should be moved up to Div III. The team doesn't have the roster depth that these much larger suburban teams do or the resources that a Hoban or LaSalle have. This is something that cannot be changed and they have to suck it up but it does affect what happens in the post season.

I know this is kind of long winded essay with many different ideas but isn't that what this place is for?

Auggie,
They had a chance to get several young(er) but established alumni assistants a few years ago and turned them away. As in those guys reached out, expressed interest and weren't even given the time of day. Those assistants have done really nice jobs at other places. (think 03-05 championship run)

fr willie

I disagree with that premise. The 2014-2015 teams were loaded with 2003-2005 grads that were coaches. There's actually one of the 2014 team on staff now. The staff we have now is young , 40's, and for the life of me I can only think of only a couple of other guys from 03-05 that are coaching on other staffs and successful. Augie I sometimes think you dream these things up. Also rather than complaining about staff on this forum come down to school and offer your help and expertise in making our program better. If you have names of coaches that want to work at Benny please feel free to let me know. We could use a couple more position coaches and definitely another freshmen coach or two. Please be constructive in your comments rather than coounter-productive.

MrBeneBengal

I disagree with that premise. The 2014-2015 teams were loaded with 2003-2005 grads that were coaches. There's actually one of the 2014 team on staff now. The staff we have now is young , 40's, and for the life of me I can only think of only a couple of other guys from 03-05 that are coaching on other staffs and successful. Augie I sometimes think you dream these things up. Also rather than complaining about staff on this forum come down to school and offer your help and expertise in making our program better. If you have names of coaches that want to work at Benny please feel free to let me know. We could use a couple more position coaches and definitely another freshmen coach or two. Please be constructive in your comments rather than coounter-productive.
Fr Willie, Head over to the Bene Basketball thread , let us know how the team is looking .