Benedictine 2019

Will keep the thread open - through the banquet, as is our Tradition.

Hopefully someone in attendance, can post the award winners. Has a date been set yet?

So the 2020 schedule is shaping up like this???>

@ Shaker
SVSM or Heights (Preference would be Heights as they offer more computer points and when on the road it's a great location for the Benny fans)
Cleveland Central Catholic
@ Massillon (Probably a 2 year deal both games there but on the flip side a good pay day to help with the budget)
Fitch
@ Hoban
NDCL
Lake Catholic
@ Warren Harding (Probably a 2 year deal both games there but on the flip side a good pay day to help with the budget)
Walsh Jesuit

Dump CCC and you have a solid schedule. Also, I see NDCL dropping off some time soon and even possibly Lake Catholic, at that point I would suspect we start to see Columbus privates like DeSales, Watterson, or Hartley.

So the 2020 schedule is shaping up like this???>

@ Shaker
SVSM or Heights (Preference would be Heights as they offer more computer points and when on the road it's a great location for the Benny fans)
@ Massillon (Probably a 2 year deal both games there but on the flip side a good pay day to help with the budget)
Fitch
@ Hoban
NDCL
Lake Catholic
@ Warren Harding (Probably a 2 year deal both games there but on the flip side a good pay day to help with the budget)
Walsh Jesuit

Dump CCC and you have a solid schedule. Also, I see NDCL dropping off some time soon and even possibly Lake Catholic, at that point I would suspect we start to see Columbus privates like DeSales, Watterson, or Hartley.
Walsh and Hoban will be gone soon. StV/St M will be in week two next year( not contractually inked but close ) Warren Harding is starting to look like a possible no go.

Walsh and Hoban will be gone soon. StV/St M will be in week two next year( not contractually inked but close ) Warren Harding is starting to look like a possible no go.

Just got an update from Fr. David...

The NCL schedule use to rotate every two years so the remaining teams kept up that tradition for 2020>
@ Shaker
SVSM
@ Massillon
Fitch
Walsh Jesuit
@ Hoban
NDCL
Lake Catholic
???

If WGH is not in the cards that week 10 opening is very problematic. Not only is that deep into conference play but also many teams use that as their rivalry game slot. Might want to go the Candian route as an open date week 10 is not good,

I could see Walsh dropping off but Hoban will have trouble finding games in the 2nd half of the season. Is it the Benny side that wants to sever the series?

Look for NDCL to be gone sooner rather than later, their football program is going to be very challenged in the near future...

Just got an update from Fr. David...

The NCL schedule use to rotate every two years so the remaining teams kept up that tradition for 2020>
@ Shaker
SVSM
@ Massillon
Fitch
Walsh Jesuit
@ Hoban
NDCL
Lake Catholic
???

If WGH is not in the cards that week 10 opening is very problematic. Not only is that deep into conference play but also many teams use that as their rivalry game slot. Might want to go the Candian route as an open date week 10 is not good,

I could see Walsh dropping off but Hoban will have trouble finding games in the 2nd half of the season. Is it the Benny side that wants to sever the series?

Look for NDCL to be gone sooner rather than later, their football program is going to be very challenged in the near future...
You're correct about NDCL. I'm Fr Willie ( math) not Fr David ( Latin)

Hearst is listed at 6’4”, 215 pounds. Imagine him playing DE! And he is built .
Excited to see what he does on the basketball court .

Can someone at Bene please put a basketball roster on the website ? Thanks

Attachments

• DECDA240-B430-4B2E-900B-0EDEFD5CEA9C.png
    DECDA240-B430-4B2E-900B-0EDEFD5CEA9C.png
    180 KB · Views: 11
Information flow is not a strong suite of this athletic department.
I suggest they create a student run Sport Information/Management Club. They have 300+ young men in the building. With the popularity of Sports Management as a major in College, you would think there is a group of 12-15 young men who would be willing to help support. The young men who did the sports broadcasting online, did a great job. Would love to see that evolve to 1) Website Management to include roster updates, schedule, scores, and periodic student written articles. 2) Continue the broadcasting, possibly add additional sports.

Club to be monitored by AD or another Tech/Sports Adult in the building. Guest mentors could include Terry Pluto, Jack Marschall, other Sports Media alumni....

Would help students and help drive communication and information to alumni. Based on this thread as being one, if not the most, popular threads on the Yappi portal, the demand is there! Should have to over think it! Total cost $0.....

I suggest they create a student run Sport Information/Management Club. They have 300+ young men in the building. With the popularity of Sports Management as a major in College, you would think there is a group of 12-15 young men who would be willing to help support. The young men who did the sports broadcasting online, did a great job. Would love to see that evolve to 1) Website Management to include roster updates, schedule, scores, and periodic student written articles. 2) Continue the broadcasting, possibly add additional sports.

Club to be monitored by AD or another Tech/Sports Adult in the building. Guest mentors could include Terry Pluto, Jack Marschall, other Sports Media alumni....

Would help students and help drive communication and information to alumni. Based on this thread as being one, if not the most, popular threads on the Yappi portal, the demand is there! Should have to over think it! Total cost $0.....
Pay me, I’ll do it ?
Anyway , here is the Matt Goul Top 25 for basketball ?

Posted in another thread, thought this group would appreciate....
I understand the competitive balance formation and purpose. I also do not discount that fact that parochial schools have to market and recruit in order to exist. These schools are available for those looking for something different than what is provided at their local schools. It may be religion, discipline, surroundings, College opportunities, and yes, Athletics. Because they attract from a wider geography the perception or even the "competitive" product can lead to an advantage. But will all things in life there should be limits.

If you review the competitive balance data, there is a glaring flaw affecting 4 schools. Out of the 714 schools associated with the OHSAA, 4 schools (less than 1%) based on enrollment and CB adjustments JUMP 2 divisions. As a result, these schools are at times playing schools that are 2x plus the size schools. This was very apparent at a recent playoff game attended. The sidelines, stands, bands, and all things related to the experience were noticeably out of balance.

It seems that as they continue to evolve and improve the competitive balance the OHSAA should look at this evidence and make a limit that schools should only have a maximum of 1 divisional jump. This would only improve what is considered an attempt to level the playing field. These schools should consider this information in order to continue to perfect the competitive balance.

Based on each of the schools locations, they have to draw from a variety of grade schools and areas. Each has a deep rooted commitment to their communities and most are located.

The schools include:
Division II (based on actual enrollment would be DIV)
1) Toledo Central Catholic- 219 base enrollment, 414 adjusted
2) Cleveland Benedictine- 261 actual base enrollment, 410 adjusted
Division III (based on actual enrollment would be DV)
3) Bishop Fenwick- 205 actual base enrollment, 276 adjusted
Division V (based on actual enrollment would be DVII)
4) Lutheran East- 111 actual enrollment, 195 adjusted

While sympathetic to your point NEO I think you are going to find no allies in the OHSAA to pull through a ban on moving up two Divisions due to competitive balance. Since this is most likely the condition moving forward the way to combat this is to be more aggressive in getting young men into the football program. Not only do they need to bring in more 8th graders and keep them in the fold playing football but to possibly get other athletes already in the building to come out for football. The chance to play deep into the postseason is actually a hindrance to the winter sports athletes but the internal athletes in spring sports should be recruited to add depth to the team. On the flip side the football guys should then go out for the spring sport of track, nothing better than a good skill player putting a nice FAT 100 on their resume to help with recruiting.

I believe in the 1st year the limit was one division, but most member schools did not want that limit in place so it was changed year 2. I'd guess as long as the formula is in use, the one division limit won't come back.

#freefrgirard

News Herald All- Stars
1st Team Offense: RB Jalen Edwards (leading rusher in the area, should have been POY finalist?)
1st Team Defense: DB Matthew Stauffer (all-around great athlete & young man)

2nd Team Offense: QB Ron Schultz (1st year starter, excited to see what this kid will do next year)
2nd Team Offense: WR Charles Rosser (not sure how 2nd team, not a better WR in area)
2nd Team Offense: WR Chris Gales (another one that could dominate next year, all the tools)
2nd Team Offense: K Ivan Shuran (best kicker in area, if not state)

3rd Team Defense: LB Terrance Hollan (great all-around player, tough, fast, & still a Jr)

Honor Roll: OL Luke Beltavski (heart & soul of an OL that will return as 3 year starters!)

Congrats to the 3 seniors, you were part of turning this ship around! For the 5 juniors, its your time to step up and lead a great class returning.

Attachments

• NHAllStars.pdf
    834.1 KB · Views: 12
News Herald All- Stars
1st Team Offense: RB Jalen Edwards (leading rusher in the area, should have been POY finalist?)
1st Team Defense: DB Matthew Stauffer (all-around great athlete & young man)

2nd Team Offense: QB Ron Schultz (1st year starter, excited to see what this kid will do next year)
2nd Team Offense: WR Charles Rosser (not sure how 2nd team, not a better WR in area)
2nd Team Offense: WR Chris Gales (another one that could dominate next year, all the tools)
2nd Team Offense: K Ivan Shuran (best kicker in area, if not state)

3rd Team Defense: LB Terrance Hollan (great all-around player, tough, fast, & still a Jr)

Honor Roll: OL Luke Beltavski (heart & soul of an OL that will return as 3 year starters!)

Congrats to the 3 seniors, you were part of turning this ship around! For the 5 juniors, its your time to step up and lead a great class returning.
Could be quite a few kids transferring IN next year. This could be significant.