Benedictine 2019

Senior Mike Davis to return Friday. Tall, Fast, Agressive LB to help rotation. Great to have more Senior leadership. Good timing!

Frosh played great 2nd half season, but fall 17-14 to talented Walsh team. Observation is the new coaches were a bit overwhelmed. Example 3 consecutive time outs on goal line stand, primarily due to players in wrong position? Not the most coveted job, but need re-evaluate early to determine future for the frosh staff. Literally, the 1st impression of students/players is 1st day of Frosh football. Need to make it impactful. This group has size, athleticsm, and are very coachable. Next steps studies, weight room, development. They have a bright future if can stick together. The RB looks to be real deal, could be contributor on next years Varsity unit. Congrats Baby Bengals.

JV also played 5-6 games (tough to know exact b/c still don't know how to utilize websites at Benny) with solid success. Past years the JV experience was a joke. This season they had a group that consistently played together and developed. Some solid players including Soph QB, RB, WR's. Line has some beef and look to be very coachable. Overall solid progress.

Some DII Injury updates: Avon Lake has been hit hard with injury including starting RBs, DB's and possibly linemen. Also, unfortunately Hoban's Caden Clark out with knee injury, looks to be season ending. Traynums been held out last 2 weeks, but sounds like he'll be back for playoffs. Hate to see players injured but does impact going into the playoffs.

Looking at Region 6. It looks like after this weekend, even with a Benedictine win, they will finish in the 4 or 5 spot in the region. I think Avon, Avon Lake, Brecksville all win. Benedictine will not have enough secondary points to finish higher than fourth.
I originally like Brecksville in this game, but after further scouting, looks like Wadsworth has more weapons and stronger defense. Im going Wadsworth , with Benny win this could lead to Benny v Brecksville week 11.

I originally like Brecksville in this game, but after further scouting, looks like Wadsworth has more weapons and stronger defense. Im going Wadsworth , with Benny win this could lead to Benny v Brecksville week 11.

Was the Brecksville QB's brother at Benny at one time? I seem to remember the Labas name on a roster. On the field I would also lean to Wadsworth, weather might be a big factor as Labas has an arm and the Wadsworth DBs have been torched all season. Wadsworth is the better over all team though. Either way take the over in this game.

Was the Brecksville QB's brother at Benny at one time? I seem to remember the Labas name on a roster. On the field I would also lean to Wadsworth, weather might be a big factor as Labas has an arm and the Wadsworth DBs have been torched all season. Wadsworth is the better over all team though. Either way take the over in this game.
No Labas at Benny. Maybe confusing with Joe Laffey?

Bene will win big tomorrow. I would like to see Jalen Edwards have another 200 yard + rushing game. For every TD he scores tomorrow , I will down a beer ?.
Jalen should get player of the year. If he does , keg party at my place !
Definitely in conversation Not sure what POY you are referring to?

For News Herald should be in conversations, only thing is up against Perry QB who broke tons of records last 2 years and is Lake Co resident. Tough one.

For NorthCoast League. Dont know any other single player that has performed better. Maybe bigger names in league but none have out-played Edwards. Should be top choice.

Do you think the investigation into the former school presidents sexual misconduct actions will effect recruiting? Maybe cause some more transfers to happen? Not a good look for the school.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news...-following-inappropriate-behavior-allegations
Do you think the investigation into current teacher Patrick DeChant for trying to meet a teen for sex will effect recruiting? Maybe cause some more transfers to happen? Not a good look for the school.

Attachments

• 76365680-F1DD-4781-B430-C2EE0B0AAAE6.jpeg
    76365680-F1DD-4781-B430-C2EE0B0AAAE6.jpeg
    24.8 KB · Views: 15
Just got update lots of positive happening at HOC. Weight room is buzzing young men working hard! Next years Jr class is fully entrenched & committed to returning to playoff! Will have strong Sr. leadership from Charles Rosser (D1 WR), Jalen Edwards (RB/LB), Uchenna (DE), Levi Fair (DL) & Mike Davis(WR/DE) . O-line all returning starters all Jr’s incl Beltavski, Hamrick, Black, Vasko, Jolly, Gregor, & Womack, Jr. Skilled players- Gales (WR/DB), Rogers (RB,DB), Lott (DB/WR), Fletcher (DB), Johnson (WR/DB). Look out for players Hollan (LB,TR), Merrill (LB/RB) and player they call Bama (LB type), all will have big part in next season. QB will most likely be Schulz( Jr) who led 2021 Frosh team to 8-1 record. Kicker is best in area name Ivan Shuran. Above does not include talented to be Soph class. Benny alum are excited with return of Goode, Kobylinski, Prevesk, McClendon returning to coach and lead this group. Players are excited-now just need the alumni & parents to embrace the effort and support this group. Future looks bright. Who’s in?
Let’s order the banner now!
Congrats to the Bengals on finishing the season 9-1 with 1st round home game! A great regular season sets them up for the playoff run! It's been great to see the alumni reengage to support the program and the school! Congrats to the players, coaches, and support staff that have worked tirelessly to get to this point! Re-boot and get ready for the New season!

Anyone know what day the DII playoffs will be played? Friday or Saturday?

Starting two years ago, the OHSAA in its ultimate wisdom, moved all playoff games, for all divisions, to Fridays. This severely limits the quality venues available starting week #2 of the playoffs (i.e. In the past, a venue like Byers Field could host a DII playoff game on Friday and a DI game on Saturday).

Now in week #2 (the start of neutral sites), instead of having 32 playoff games on a Friday and 24 games on Saturday, all 56 games are played on Friday (again limiting the number of venues that can be used). The funny thing is, the OHSAA complains its gate money has dropped. It had to, when you limit people to only one game per weekend. Was always nice to catch a Bengal playoff game on a Friday and then go watch St. Ed or St Ignatius on Saturday.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention how painful it is to see Ignatius not make the playoffs....I cant imagine 1500 similar looking young men showing up Monday morning knowing their weekends are now free. I hope they have counselors on-site. Maybe we can borrower their student section for the playoffs?
All in good fun!

Brecksville Bees will win this matchup. Disciplined , good offense. Do not make dumb mistakes.
The mental errors , penalties , unsportsmanlike penalties will catch up to the Bungles.
35-24 Bees ?

Forgot to mention how painful it is to see Ignatius not make the playoffs....I cant imagine 1500 similar looking young men showing up Monday morning knowing their weekends are now free. I hope they have counselors on-site. Maybe we can borrower their student section for the playoffs?
All in good fun!
Wildcats have how many State Titles to your Bungles ?

Wildcats have how many State Titles to your Bengalss ?

St. Ignatius - 11 (9 of which came in a 14 year span)
Benedictine - 8 (including at least one title every decade since the OHSAA football playoffs have started in 1972. No other school in Ohio can claim this record. Newark Catholic, who is currently ranked in the D VII top ten, has a chance to join Benedictine in this feat but needs to win the state championship this year to do so.)

I have posed this question before, and I'll posed it again to you, the all knowing FWDTH, Please bless us with you infinite wisdom.
Would you rather have?
A) A run of titles like St Ignatius had
or
B) 1 or 2 championships a decade over 5 decades

Last edited:
St. Ignatius - 11 (9 of which came in a 14 year span)
Benedictine - 8 including at least one title every decade since the OHSAA football playoffs have started in 1972. No other school in Ohio can claim this record. (Newark Catholic, who is currently ranked in the D VII top ten, has a chance to join Benedictine in this feat but needs to win the state championship this year to do so.)

I have posed this question before, and I'll posed it again to you, the all knowing FWDTH, Please bless us with you infinite wisdom.
Would you rather have?
A) A run of titles like St Ignatius had
or
B) 1 or 2 championships a decade over 5 decades
Ignatius. ?

I'll give you my answer: Benedictine, and here is why.

Tradition is defined as "the transmission of customs or beliefs from generation to generation, or the fact of being passed on in this way".
Have you ever been to a football state championship reunion at Benedictine? Men from their late 70's to men in their early 20's are represented. Men who are proud to be part of the Bengal tradition. Men who take great joy in passing down this tradition to the next generation. This is in no way a knock on St. Ignatius or any other school, but in the confines of OHSAA football, nobody has done what Benedictine has. Benedictine is truly the "Home of Champions".

P.S. I didn't attend Benedictine, but over the years have come to totally respect what the Monks and school have done for these young men, MOB.

I'll give you my answer: Benedictine, and here is why.

Tradition is defined as "the transmission of customs or beliefs from generation to generation, or the fact of being passed on in this way".
Have you ever been to a football state championship reunion at Benedictine? Men from their late 70's to men in their early 20's are represented. Men who are proud to be part of the Bengal tradition. Men who take great joy in passing down this tradition to the next generation. This is in no way a knock on St. Ignatius or any other school, but in the confines of OHSAA football, nobody has done what Benedictine has. Benedictine is truly the "Home of Champions".

P.S. I didn't attend Benedictine, but over the years have come to totally respect what the Monks and school have done for these young men, MOB.
This is a great question and better answer! Thank you Benny Wrestler, you are one of the reasons the Benny thread is so popular. Even the haters enjoy trolling and admiring the strong bond the Benedictine community has! As you look at other Parochial's there is a direct connection between success on the Football field (most popular HS sport) to success in the school. There is not another extracurricular in HS that impacts the overall HS experience. Players/Students want to be part of success! Benny is no different!

What stands out about Benny's titles is that each year the makeup, style, era, and path to championships were vastly different. Going back to the 70's group, the play was still very much impacted by the Lombardi style of play. Triple options, QB runs, very little passing game, just disciplined and hard nosed football. The QB Al Keller was a tough SOB that lead a group packed with young men from blue collar, hardworking families. Most were 2nd generations in the States. Parents worked in mills or labor type jobs. The work ethic and commitment learned from parents was apparent on the field. Players like Glowik, Keller, Delguyd, & Merrill. All tough as nails and all still very connected to the Bengals!

The 80's the Bengals were just stacked with talent! The eastside Cleveland population was still flourishing and the near suburbs of Hts, South Euclid, Mayfield, etc. fed the school with some of the best athletes the school has ever seen. The combination of size, athleticism, and smarts presented matchup issues for all. The 80's teams to me defined what Benny is all about. Teams/Players led by Coach Bossu thru those years were dominating at all levels. Not completely sure but if you compare decades, the overall 80's records/success would rank high on the list.

Moving into the 90's, transitioning to Hodackievic era. The tough, hard nosed style of play remained. With population decline and the meteoric rise of Ignatius impacted enrollment but never deterred the passion and heart on the field. Early 90's were spotty but by the time mid-90's arrived, all cylinders were running hard. These teams showed great balance of speed, size, and versatility. The OL/DL's typically played both ways, QB's were game managers, RB's were studs, and the Defenses under Russ were always well prepared and vicious.

As the century turned in 2000's started, the return of Coach Bortnick from the late 80's eras made it's way thru Benny! A no brainer that these teams were disciplined, dedicated to the weight room, committed to the trenches, these were hard run-centric teams. Similar to previous versions, the Bortnick groups were tough! Watching Ray Williams run the ball was a treat. He was one of the best talents to ever come from the Cleveland area. It's just a shame that some terrible choices led to a young persons life taken and the school taking a major hit both on reputation and enrollment. Although Bortnick is not a MOB, he is one that needs to be considered for the Hall of Honors. He contributed a great deal to the school and impacted a lot of young men during his time! He had to lead a team thru what I would say are some of the darkest days on MLK.

Next up, the Schaefer era. This was too short of an era. But if you ever saw Coach Schaefer play you knew the team was going to be packed with intensity. The roster was packed with DI talent. Their style of play was up-tempo, hard nosed, with the benefit of having 2 future NFL players in Jerome Baker & Justine Layne. If you ever got to see this team play it was blast. The OL would have 6 yard push and the backs could pick a hole. The less publicized player on this team was Pecorao (sp?). This young man was a treat to watch. Big, fast, and aggressive. Im sure hes gone onto great things.

My long winded point, is that each championship team were made up of very different traits. Different decades; different coaches; population changes; different diversity makeups of the team; and different adversities to overcome to reach the pinnacle! As a result, the school, traditions, and team continue to pull in players, alumni, past educators, to support and follow this great tradition created thru the decades!

Now in the Goode area, the team makes the playoffs by going 9-1. The game itself has changed (no huddle, press corners, balanced attack, zone blocking, etc) but the approach of playing tough football from whistle to whistle has re-appeared. It will be fun to watch how this group continues and if administration/supporters can leverage the success on the field to increasing #'s in the school.

In no way is this disrespect to Ignatius. They have done an incredible job of establishing and maintaining a long standing tradition of winning. There's some good learning on how they leveraged the wins to growing the endowment and increasing the amenities that make it a popular/safe choice for families. They have figured out how to leverage their successful years into future years. With Kyle now age 70, it will be interesting to see how long he will continue as HC. At Benedictine, we have had peaks and valleys. The goal would be to create a more consistent high level of success. The roller coaster is tough to ride some times but I wouldn't want it any other way!

Looking forward to the next chapters! Go Bengals!

This is a great question and better answer! Thank you Benny Wrestler, you are one of the reasons the Benny thread is so popular. Even the haters enjoy trolling and admiring the strong bond the Benedictine community has! As you look at other Parochial's there is a direct connection between success on the Football field (most popular HS sport) to success in the school. There is not another extracurricular in HS that impacts the overall HS experience. Players/Students want to be part of success! Benny is no different!

What stands out about Benny's titles is that each year the makeup, style, era, and path to championships were vastly different. Going back to the 70's group, the play was still very much impacted by the Lombardi style of play. Triple options, QB runs, very little passing game, just disciplined and hard nosed football. The QB Al Keller was a tough SOB that lead a group packed with young men from blue collar, hardworking families. Most were 2nd generations in the States. Parents worked in mills or labor type jobs. The work ethic and commitment learned from parents was apparent on the field. Players like Glowik, Keller, Delguyd, & Merrill. All tough as nails and all still very connected to the Bengals!

The 80's the Bengals were just stacked with talent! The eastside Cleveland population was still flourishing and the near suburbs of Hts, South Euclid, Mayfield, etc. fed the school with some of the best athletes the school has ever seen. The combination of size, athleticism, and smarts presented matchup issues for all. The 80's teams to me defined what Benny is all about. Teams/Players led by Coach Bossu thru those years were dominating at all levels. Not completely sure but if you compare decades, the overall 80's records/success would rank high on the list.

Moving into the 90's, transitioning to Hodackievic era. The tough, hard nosed style of play remained. With population decline and the meteoric rise of Ignatius impacted enrollment but never deterred the passion and heart on the field. Early 90's were spotty but by the time mid-90's arrived, all cylinders were running hard. These teams showed great balance of speed, size, and versatility. The OL/DL's typically played both ways, QB's were game managers, RB's were studs, and the Defenses under Russ were always well prepared and vicious.

As the century turned in 2000's started, the return of Coach Bortnick from the late 80's eras made it's way thru Benny! A no brainer that these teams were disciplined, dedicated to the weight room, committed to the trenches, these were hard run-centric teams. Similar to previous versions, the Bortnick groups were tough! Watching Ray Williams run the ball was a treat. He was one of the best talents to ever come from the Cleveland area. It's just a shame that some terrible choices led to a young persons life taken and the school taking a major hit both on reputation and enrollment. Although Bortnick is not a MOB, he is one that needs to be considered for the Hall of Honors. He contributed a great deal to the school and impacted a lot of young men during his time! He had to lead a team thru what I would say are some of the darkest days on MLK.

Next up, the Schaefer era. This was too short of an era. But if you ever saw Coach Schaefer play you knew the team was going to be packed with intensity. The roster was packed with DI talent. Their style of play was up-tempo, hard nosed, with the benefit of having 2 future NFL players in Jerome Baker & Justine Layne. If you ever got to see this team play it was blast. The OL would have 6 yard push and the backs could pick a hole. The less publicized player on this team was Pecorao (sp?). This young man was a treat to watch. Big, fast, and aggressive. Im sure hes gone onto great things.

My long winded point, is that each championship team were made up of very different traits. Different decades; different coaches; population changes; different diversity makeups of the team; and different adversities to overcome to reach the pinnacle! As a result, the school, traditions, and team continue to pull in players, alumni, past educators, to support and follow this great tradition created thru the decades!

Now in the Goode area, the team makes the playoffs by going 9-1. The game itself has changed (no huddle, press corners, balanced attack, zone blocking, etc) but the approach of playing tough football from whistle to whistle has re-appeared. It will be fun to watch how this group continues and if administration/supporters can leverage the success on the field to increasing #'s in the school.

In no way is this disrespect to Ignatius. They have done an incredible job of establishing and maintaining a long standing tradition of winning. There's some good learning on how they leveraged the wins to growing the endowment and increasing the amenities that make it a popular/safe choice for families. They have figured out how to leverage their successful years into future years. With Kyle now age 70, it will be interesting to see how long he will continue as HC. At Benedictine, we have had peaks and valleys. The goal would be to create a more consistent high level of success. The roller coaster is tough to ride some times but I wouldn't want it any other way!

Looking forward to the next chapters! Go Bengals!
Psh. You will have a few kids transferring out. Your freshmen RB and LB.

Survey, lets have some fun with this:

Who is Fr Willie Down the Hill or poster formerly known as Woogie?

A. Current student at Benny that is young, immature, and gets a rise out of antagonizing? Thinks they're funny? May go around the school showing his classmates how cool he is to be on Yappi. If back in school would be the type to get kicked on regular basis. Keyboard Cowboy!
B. Former coach that is so disgruntled to see Benny succeed that looks for ways to throw shade? Missed opportunities.
C. Current parent/relative that feels their son is getting the "shaft" because they don't get the playing time they DON'T deserve?
D. An Alumni/Staff that cant seem to let go of being part of the Bengal community but has nothing good to say?
E. Parent who's son transferred but still wishes they were at Benny? Cant stand to see Benny have success, especially since Son's new school doesn't have the following or community that Benny has to offer. Still disgruntled!

My guess is E., with strong possibility of A.! E. because use the word "Your". Also fixated on transfers. Started posting immediately after Goodson & Richardson transferred. Has also been fixated on Conkle. Makes me think part of the Soph class or Parent from Soph class! Has some contacts still in the school. Hmm..... A. Based on times of posts, quick replies to transfers (because they believe any time a kid says "I'm transferring" after having a rough day), & lack of any substance in posts.

Can’t forget the option of: got kicked out/not accepted into the school and has held a grudge for 50 years and finally found this website to take out his frustration

Woogies 1st ever post....Feb 2019.
"J Goodson RB leaving for Glenville, T Richardson QB has left for Gilmour
The transferring has already begun . Hearing there will be a lot more. Many issues over at Benedictine. Sad because I think the upcoming varsity team had a lot of talent."

Can’t forget the option of: got kicked out/not accepted into the school and has held a grudge for 50 years and finally found this website to take out his frustration
Good thought! But think they would have appeared earlier, plus wouldn't have inside info....someone much closer to program! Including names of players...

The transferring has already begun . Hearing there will be a lot more. Many issues over at Benedictine. Sad because I think the upcoming varsity team had a lot of talent."
This is classic b/c Goodson still talks about returning. As far as Gilmour, they will be lucky to have team next season. May have to go 9 v 9. Anyone talking about transfer should look closely at how these 2 lost out of being on a 9-1 playoff team! For Goodson there were much deeper reasons for leaving, he wanted to stay.

If you had Richardson as your QB, you probably would/could beat Hoban. Best QB in the area. Gilmour would beat Bene but Bene afraid to play Gilmour.