Ben Knostman/Tipp City Tippecanoe

Awesome!! Love the D1 ers from the 937. Was Wright state or any of the Ohio MAC in play. Dayton kick the tires? Hoping we can keep more local, but understand many kids want to try new regions of the country.

Winthrop is a pretty solid low-major program. Pat Kelsey seems to be making a concerted effort as of late to make inroads and create an Ohio pipeline for his program. Congrats to the kid.

So far this season he is averaging a triple double. Double figures in scoring, rebounding and assists.
Knostman may be the best player to ever go to Tipp. There have been a few scouting reports of him that say he is the best passer in the state of Ohio. He has great size 6’5 for a pass first point guard. Tipp has a pretty good team this year with Knostman and 6’6 forward Zac Frederick. Unfortunately none of the local schools really recruited him but he should fit in well at Winthrop

Ben has 176 assists in his past 25 games, that’s good for 7 assists a game. He has 5 triple doubles in his career. I assume he will break Tipp’s assist record before the end of the season, and I’m sure he already has the most triple doubles in Tipp history.
Through 5 games he is averaging 14.8 points, 11.6 rebounds, 10.6 assists, 2.4 steals and 1.4 blocks per game. All while shooting 61% from the field. He should be a lock for First Team All State

Knostman may be the best player to ever go to Tipp. There have been a few scouting reports of him that say he is the best passer in the state of Ohio. He has great size 6’5 for a pass first point guard. Tipp has a pretty good team this year with Knostman and 6’6 forward Zac Frederick. Unfortunately none of the local schools really recruited him but he should fit in well at Winthrop
So sad WSU or a local BGSU or Miami cant keep these guys. Wonder what they think is wrong.

Ben has 176 assists in his past 25 games, that’s good for 7 assists a game. He has 5 triple doubles in his career. I assume he will break Tipp’s assist record before the end of the season, and I’m sure he already has the most triple doubles in Tipp history.
Through 5 games he is averaging 14.8 points, 11.6 rebounds, 10.6 assists, 2.4 steals and 1.4 blocks per game. All while shooting 61% from the field. He should be a lock for First Team All State
Those are incredible numbers especially in bigger school basketball.

Didn’t Tipp have a really good team several years back and at least one of the guards was the coach’s son? They lost a really tough one to Dunbar in the tourney.

Didn’t Tipp have a really good team several years back and at least one of the guards was the coach’s son? They lost a really tough one to Dunbar in the tourney.

Yes. They had back-to-back undefeated regular seasons and I believe district titles in 2005-06 and 2006-07. In 2006-07 they beat Dunbar in the regular season before losing to them in the regional.

Guards were extremely good. I believe one was a Zawadski; the other kid's name escapes my memory. I'm pretty sure that guard went D1 and played at one of the MAAC schools in New York.

Edit: Robert Goldsberry played at Canisius.

Last edited:
Yes. They had back-to-back undefeated regular seasons and I believe district titles in 2005-06 and 2006-07. In 2006-07 they beat Dunbar in the regular season before losing to them in the regional.

Guards were extremely good. I believe one was a Zawadski; the other kid's name escapes my memory. I'm pretty sure that guard went D1 and played at one of the MAAC schools in New York.

Edit: Robert Goldsberry played at Canisius.
Thanks, man. The Tipp vs Dunbar game was one that I hated to miss. People got their $ worth that night.

Thanks, again.

Thanks, man. The Tipp vs Dunbar game was one that I hated to miss. People got their $ worth that night.

Thanks, again.
That was a crazy year for Tipp, that's for sure. They actually beat Dunbar 61-49 in the regular season, but then just couldn't quite get it done in the tournament. Watching Tipp's "big" guys of Kyle Corbin and Luke Gyetvai try to battle with Aaron Pogue inside was interesting.

As for Knostman, heading into Wednesday's game with Butler, he was AVERAGING a triple double through six games. Currently he's at 16 points, 11.3 rebounds, and 9.9 assists. Also averaging 2.6 steals and 1.3 blocks.

Through 7 games he has 4 triple doubles and 3 double-doubles.

I'd say, from watching him and thinking back to watching Goldsberry, I think Knostman is the best player to come out of Tipp, and it's probably not that close. Goldsberry was a great ball handler, passer, and defender, but his offensive game was just average. In part due to having a great team around him so he didn't need to score. When you compare that to Knostman, his offensive game can take over a game for Tipp when they need him to. Him being 6'4" doesn't hurt, as in high school that's elite length for a guard, but his ability to score off the dribble is something Goldsberry didn't have, I'd say.

Not to take anything away from Goldsberry, as he was a great high school talent and obviously played 4 years at a Division 1 college, but Knostman's game has more versatility on top of his point guard skills.

That was a crazy year for Tipp, that's for sure. They actually beat Dunbar 61-49 in the regular season, but then just couldn't quite get it done in the tournament. Watching Tipp's "big" guys of Kyle Corbin and Luke Gyetvai try to battle with Aaron Pogue inside was interesting.

As for Knostman, heading into Wednesday's game with Butler, he was AVERAGING a triple double through six games. Currently he's at 16 points, 11.3 rebounds, and 9.9 assists. Also averaging 2.6 steals and 1.3 blocks.

I'd say, from watching him and thinking back to watching Goldsberry, I think Knostman is the best player to come out of Tipp, and it's probably not that close. Goldsberry was a great ball handler, passer, and defender, but his offensive game was just average. In part due to having a great team around him so he didn't need to score. When you compare that to Knostman, his offensive game can take over a game for Tipp when they need him to. Him being 6'4" doesn't hurt, as in high school that's elite length for a guard, but his ability to score off the dribble is something Goldsberry didn't have, I'd say.

Not to take anything away from Goldsberry, as he was a great high school talent and obviously played 4 years at a Division 1 college, but Knostman's game has more versatility on top of his point guard skills.
Thanks for reply. I greatly appreciate your insight. Have a good weekend.

Chris Wampler was pretty versatile, played at Wright state. Al Voke (spelling?) Early or mid 1960's. There have been other very good players. To average a triple double though, that is pretty insane.

Chris Wampler was pretty versatile, played at Wright state. Al Voke (spelling?) Early or mid 1960's. There have been other very good players. To average a triple double though, that is pretty insane.

Fair point. I don't really know much about guys from that far in the past to be able to say. We'll see if Knostman can keep up these sorts of numbers throughout the season. It's too bad the MVL is only playing conference games, we won't get to see him be all that tested until the postseason.

Fair point. I don't really know much about guys from that far in the past to be able to say. We'll see if Knostman can keep up these sorts of numbers throughout the season. It's too bad the MVL is only playing conference games, we won't get to see him be all that tested until the postseason.
Top Tipp players:

Dan Furlong
Mark Peters
Randy Thompson
Chris Wampler
Kellen Zawadzki
Robert Goldsberry
Greg Seay
Kyle Corbin
Kip Huntsberger

Through 10 games, Knostman averages:
  • 15.9 points
  • 10.9 rebounds
  • 10.4 assists
  • 2.7 steals
  • 2.4 blocks
Against Piqua on Friday, he nearly had a quadruple-double: 23 points, 14 rebounds, 14 assists, 8 blocks, 3 steals

It appears that Tipp added a non-conference game against Mason on February 13th, so that'll be a good test for them getting ready for tournament time.

Last edited:
Now through 12 games:

• 15.4 points
  • 10.6 rebounds
  • 10.0 assists
  • 2.8 steals
  • 2.4 blocks

The thing that surprises me the most about Knostman is his free throw shooting. You'd think as a point guard, that would be a strength of his game, but he's only shooting 56.4% from the line (yikes)

hahaha a dunk is a rare sight in a Tipp game

That begs the question of who has the most dunks at Tipp. I would guess Jesse Davis?
Dont remember the name but back in 1985 or somewhere close to that there was a kid who could dunk with authority. Dont really think he was a great player, just a good leaper around the basket.

Congrats to the young man. My future in-laws live in Rock Hill so I will get th chance to visit them and see him play.

hahaha a dunk is a rare sight in a Tipp game

That begs the question of who has the most dunks at Tipp. I would guess Jesse Davis?
Probably Jessie Davis or his brother Alex or Michael Landwehr. I know when Tipp had a basketball history website it had the stats on who had the most dunks but the website is gone now. I think it was like 15 lol

Last edited: