Bellevue Girls outa control...hair pulling video

Look at the second video in this article. Much closer view.
The Bellevue girl supposedly will get a one game suspension. Head coach is the girl's dad. Bellevue Superintendent and their AD are married, so they all might have hoped this would all go away quietly when they initially told Norwalk it was just an accident and there would be no disciplinary action. Meanwhile, the Norwalk girl is in concussion protocol, out that game, and her next game, minimum.

Look at the second video in this article. Much closer view.
The Bellevue girl supposedly will get a one game suspension. Head coach is the girl's dad. Bellevue Superintendent and their AD are married, so they all might have hoped this would all go away quietly when they initially told Norwalk it was just an accident and there would be no disciplinary action. Meanwhile, the Norwalk girl is in concussion protocol, out that game, and her next game, minimum.
She really could have had her neck broke I think...ugly.

I would hope it would be more than a one game suspension. She should have been ejected from that game and would have to serve a two game suspension.

At a minimum, she deserves a two game suspension but IMO, I think she should get a three game suspension because it looks like she was able to finish that game. And the OHSAA shouldn't have to force this upon the school, they should take the action themselves knowing that what the player did totally crossed the line.

That coach and that team have always been dirty. Played again them in AAU. Terrible sportsmanship. I will never forget a
playing against them. She should have gotten far worse and the coach needs to go. He tarnishes the whole program.

Girls (or boys), playing on an unforgiving basketball court are going to get injured (head, hip, knee....whatever). The key word is "playing" basketball.

This incident goes way beyond normal play... and yes, did the offender think that by grabbing her hair she would slam down onto the court, probably not, but this decision (a non basketball move) should be dealt with by more than a game or two suspension. Hell, even the NFL with another player coming at you won't let you doink them on the head with their own helmet without severe consequences.
What is harder than hitting your head on some rock hard maple? Looks like some home cooking and some OHSAA bylaws about not getting involved will lead to another poor decision by adults. What a shame...

Last edited:
That coach and that team have always been dirty. Played again them in AAU. Terrible sportsmanship. I will never forget a
playing against them. She should have gotten far worse and the coach needs to go. He tarnishes the whole program.
CCHS93, I kinda have to agree with you, at least on the coach's ethics...poor, poor, poor...and the player, even if a minor...darn close to being an adult.

Pretty sure he saw the incident live, and did his character shine through? and even though his "star" player made a poor decision...he's like, well since the refs didn't see it, let play on, the heck with the opponent lying on the floor. Never would I let my daughter play for such a so called leader of our youth. On the other hand, nice job owning up to the foul that was missed by the Bellevue player, I could understand knowing you got away with a common foul in a game, but knowing what you did and didn't get caught, we'll never know what she told her coach and what he blindly believed even if he missed it...which i doubt he did.

I would hope it would be more than a one game suspension. She should have been ejected from that game and would have to serve a two game suspension.

At a minimum, she deserves a two game suspension but IMO, I think she should get a three game suspension because it looks like she was able to finish that game. And the OHSAA shouldn't have to force this upon the school, they should take the action themselves knowing that what the player did totally crossed the line.
The girls father is the coach. Initially the claimed it was accidental! She has a basketball scholarship to Kent. Do the REALLY want that in their program?

One game is laughable... especially since the kids went on social media and joked about it and mocked those who called out what she did. This looks horrible all around for Bellevue. Have heard rumors that Kent will pull her scholarship but no confirmation.

Wow, one game suspension? That's a joke. I would hope anyone that has a kid coming up in the Bellevue district would seriously consider letting their daughter play for a coach who thinks that that kind of thing deserves a one game suspension. That's a season ending suspension at most schools. Gotta wonder if the OHSAA can/will get involved, though in the past they've claimed that they won't rule based on "video" because that never tells the "whole story". Looks like in this case it sure does....blatantly obvious

This was tweeted after the game by one of the Bellevue players. #Thugs #StayClassy

No let's not move on, this stuff is bush league especially since this a #1 seed with aspirations of being in Columbus. It will be poetic justice to resurrect this thread as they progress through the tourney and eventually get bounced when the karama wheel spins around and figuratively pulls the back of their hair.

Last edited:
I still think the punishment should be consistent with OHSAA guidelines. The incident appeared to happen in the 1st quarter. She should have been ejected from the game at that point and suspended for the next two. Because the officials missed the blatant and violent violation, she should have to miss the next three games.

I've already read other adults saying they would have run on to the court if that were their daughter. If you don't police these incidences correctly, you will see more incidences of parents coming out of the stands to confront the officials and violators. This was a non-basketball play and there is no excuse for it.

Apparently, they play tonight. It will be interesting to see what kind of ethics Bellevue displays. Very disappointed in the way this is playing out. People can come back from mistakes but the adults have to make the right decisions. This goes up to the parents, Head Coach, AD, and Superintendent.

Last edited:
I still think the punishment should be consistent with OHSAA guidelines. The incident appeared to happen in the 1st quarter. She should have been ejected from the game at that point and suspended for the next two. Because the officials missed the blatant and violent violation, she should have to miss the next three games.

I've already read other adults saying they would have run on to the court if that were their daughter. If you don't police these incidences correctly, you will see more incidences of parents coming out of the stands to confront the officials and violators. This was a non-basketball play and there is no excuse for it.

Apparently, they play tonight. It will be interesting to see what kind of ethics Bellevue displays. Very disappointed in the way this is playing out. People can come back from mistakes but the adults have to make the right decisions. This goes up to the parents, Head Coach, AD, and Superintendent.
Interesting update which in itself is a little strange. First of all, the incident was a display of horrible sportsmanship and incompetent officiating to boot. The one ref was literally standing feet away and basically did nothing. No intentional foul call, no required ejection. The young lady who suffered the injury was placed in concussion protocol after I presume a doctor's examination per OHSAA guide lines, which seems routine. Here's where it gets a little interesting. Tonight, was Norwalk's senior night, and per Fox 8 coverage, the Norwalk and visiting team coach cooked up the idea to allow the young lady to start the game and shoot two uncontested shots, scoring, and then leaving the game. Seems at face value to be a gesture of good sportsmanship, but if the young lady was in concussion protocol, why was she even allowed to dress, let alone start the game and play, no matter how innocent it appeared? Don't want to come across as a downer here, but that's a pretty serious rules violation, regardless of the coaches intentions. Not knowing how serious the concussion was, which is irrelevant, no athlete should ever be allowed to participate in any game, etc until they are cleared to do so. Per the Norwalk coach's interview, he stated he didn't even know the young lady was in protocol until before the game. Huh? How would he or the AD not know something that required a medical exam and appropriate diagnosis. He didn't know, but when he became aware, he still put that girl on the court. Sorry, but that also is wrong, and I would think punishable via the OHSAA, senior night or not. Just my 2 cents worth.

Daddy is her coach. The super and AD are husband and wife. The fix is in!

Interesting update which in itself is a little strange. First of all, the incident was a display of horrible sportsmanship and incompetent officiating to boot. The one ref was literally standing feet away and basically did nothing. No intentional foul call, no required ejection. The young lady who suffered the injury was placed in concussion protocol after I presume a doctor's examination per OHSAA guide lines, which seems routine. Here's where it gets a little interesting. Tonight, was Norwalk's senior night, and per Fox 8 coverage, the Norwalk and visiting team coach cooked up the idea to allow the young lady to start the game and shoot two uncontested shots, scoring, and then leaving the game. Seems at face value to be a gesture of good sportsmanship, but if the young lady was in concussion protocol, why was she even allowed to dress, let alone start the game and play, no matter how innocent it appeared? Don't want to come across as a downer here, but that's a pretty serious rules violation, regardless of the coaches intentions. Not knowing how serious the concussion was, which is irrelevant, no athlete should ever be allowed to participate in any game, etc until they are cleared to do so. Per the Norwalk coach's interview, he stated he didn't even know the young lady was in protocol until before the game. Huh? How would he or the AD not know something that required a medical exam and appropriate diagnosis. He didn't know, but when he became aware, he still put that girl on the court. Sorry, but that also is wrong, and I would think punishable via the OHSAA, senior night or not. Just my 2 cents worth.

Have worked a couple of games where a player who was in a full leg brace due to suffering a torn ACL, was on the floor to score a ceremonial bucket on Senior Night. The leg brace was illegal by rule, however the player was out there to score this basket. One time the player had to by physically assisted to the basket in order to complete the action.

As long as this was an in-and-out action, with no "real" action associated........

...... there's nothing to be concerned about.

The ref didn't see what happened. He was close but was looking down court. You can't just call a foul because someone told you what happened.

Tim Stried of the Ohio High School Athletic Association commented. "The OHSAA has seen the video of the incident and has spoken with both schools," Stried said. "We will see how Bellevue handles this incident before deciding on any other action."

Ward family accepts apology, encourages public forgiveness:
That's nice and should be the parents view. As the general public, we have the right to continue to be offended by such actions, while at the same time hope the young lady does learn from them and move forward.

That Ward family seems like a very outstanding family. My hope for Liv is she completely heals from her severe concussion. Its interesting in life sometimes the offended forgive and move on much faster than those who merely witness the incident.

Totally agree there should never be threats issued, BUT, such a blatant act will permanently call in to question the offenders character. That's just life.