Beavercreek

melvin dale

I do not understand the decision to hire Steve Pittman. There is little in his past that inspires confidence in success with our teams. 2 years as a head coach at Ponitz one winning season and one losing season then he quit or was forced out. Helped at Middletown a school in the midst of a basketball free fall further worries me. I know he was fourth on the list of candidates approved by the search committee. The number one choice a couple of school board members dismissed out of hand. They did not interview him or know him personally but did it because of age, The other two candidates dropped out and we get Pittman. Why do people who don't even interview make decisions they no nothing about.

I know for a fact that this hire was because he was a Beavercreek alum and was “local”. Obviously not hired because of his record. Seems to be a pattern in the hiring s this year in southern Ohio

Pittman has plenty of experience as an assistant. Was with Darnell Hoskins at Springfield and Thurgood Marshall

So now tallboy and norm are going to gang up on another young coach. You “guys” have a good conversation.

There is no doubt with the facilities and the feeder program and the student body that Beavercreek can be a big time program. We shall see.

I'm not sure what you guys expected with the level that Beavercreek's program has performed at for the last several years relative to Centerville, Wayne, Springfield and Fairmont. Established head coaches in good situations weren't going to be chasing this job in large numbers.

If there were a few guys with good resumes that were "passed over" or "dropped out", somebody like this with a thin head coaching resume was going to get the job. Give the guy a chance.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Nwwarrior , what you just said is exactly the point. Same situation at Fairmont. Both Beavercreek and Fairmont have the facilities and resources to have top level programs and have underperformed. Yet in both cases you have to wonder what the people who made the hiring decisions were looking for. In both cases they hired an alumni who had losing records as head coaches. Why not think outside the box and hire a proven winner?? I wish both coaches the best.

Both of those schools should win 20 games a year consistently if you have a top flight coach who knows how to build a program

I don't think a proven winner was going to either of those schools unless it happened to be a coach who's a retiree, i.e. a Staley brother. I didn't necessarily expect guys with losing HC records, but I figured guys with five years or less of HC experience at smaller schools.

Most head coaches are teachers, and it's hard to bring in experienced teachers due to state laws that typically force longer tenured teachers to take pay cuts when taking new jobs unless they're moving to a district that has a much higher pay scale. A proven winner from my area, Chris McGuire (Shawnee), probably has around a .650 or better winning percentage over 15+ years with maybe 2-3 losing seasons. Financially, somebody like him has so many years where they're at that they'd take a sizable pay cut to go to a Beavercreek or a Fairmont unless it came with an admin job.

Both of those schools should win 20 games a year consistently if you have a top flight coach who knows how to build a program

So these 2 play each other twice a year. Considering a 22 game regular season, if they split every year, that would leave them room for one total loss in their home and home series' with Wayne, Centerville and Springfield, not to mention any out of conference opponents. Pretty tall task on an annual basis.

I was referring to the whole season including the playoffs. They both have phenomenal resources and facilities. A tall order is what sustained greatness is all about. But you have to have an administration and athletic director who are committed to excellence as well and to finding a top flight coach who they will let build a true program.. Hamilton and Middletown are in the same boat. Not very good basketball at all.

I think 20-5 is quite attainable
20 wins in that conf annually!? Get out of here. You have to go out play a tough schedule to prepare yourself for a tourney run. Fairmont made a district final which is tough to do and won 17 games. That’s one heck of a year but they didn’t win 20 games so you consider it a disappointment. So clueless

Stupid approach

I agree the high school AD and Principal are really fired up for sports. The school board in their infinite stupidity continue to hire idiots and over rule these guys. Hiring x players or former college players is an ineffective way to do this you need to hire coaches who are coaches with real coaching experience, screw age, race etc. Beavercreek athletics are a joke the one guy on the board who was a former superintendent at the Creek and Xenia has made a career out of ruining his high school sports programs where he worked and hiring idiots. Get the geeks out of it

I don't think a proven winner was going to either of those schools unless it happened to be a coach who's a retiree, i.e. a Staley brother. I didn't necessarily expect guys with losing HC records, but I figured guys with five years or less of HC experience at smaller schools.

Most head coaches are teachers, and it's hard to bring in experienced teachers due to state laws that typically force longer tenured teachers to take pay cuts when taking new jobs unless they're moving to a district that has a much higher pay scale. A proven winner from my area, Chris McGuire (Shawnee), probably has around a .650 or better winning percentage over 15+ years with maybe 2-3 losing seasons. Financially, somebody like him has so many years where they're at that they'd take a sizable pay cut to go to a Beavercreek or a Fairmont unless it came with an admin job.

I would be surprised if Step 10 at a Fairmont or Beavercreek would not be close, if not more than where McGuire is on Shawnee's scale. Plus the top end would be much higher. It would be a financial win for a guy like him in the long run. I think he's just happy at Shawnee.

I would be surprised if Step 10 at a Fairmont or Beavercreek would not be close, if not more than where McGuire is on Shawnee's scale. Plus the top end would be much higher. It would be a financial win for a guy like him in the long run. I think he's just happy at Shawnee.

I'm not so sure. At a lot of bigger districts in this part of the state the biggest difference in pay is in the early years and it tapers a bit at the top. It's been a couple years since I looked at their salary schedule, but Clark-Shawnee actually has a rather generous top-end that I believe runs to step 35 paying in the upper 70s assuming you max out your educational increases. That's pretty darn good for just about anywhere, especially being around Springfield/Clark county. He got in there fairly young and probably has a step for all of his years, probably closing in on 20 at this point plus having whatever's the max experience they'll pay a basketball coach. I'd be pretty surprised if it wouldn't be a 5-6k or more cut, not including probably having a much more stressful coaching gig as apposed to having it made.

Same boat for a few other CBC guys like your man Dixon at Urbana. There's probably 4-5 good experienced coaches in the league that IMO would be pretty successful in a GWOC or new MVL job, but financially I think it would be a fair loss to at best a slight gain switching over. Those two especially I think would do well. I'd put their peak runs just a couple notches below the Cupps' golden years at Graham. The only thing they haven't done is have enough talent to get out of an always brutal D2 SW district tournament.

Mcguire has had 2 losing seasons in the last 3 years.

I watched Beavercreek play yesterday at Springfield shootout. Im not saying they will win the league or make a deep run in tournament but they looked different. Tons of energy man to man defense full court and bench had just as much energy

They should have some talent. Not necessarily great but enough to be competitive with a fresh outlook and perspective. A few nice experienced seniors and their sophomore class ought to be pretty good.

I watched Beavercreek play yesterday at Springfield shootout. Im not saying they will win the league or make a deep run in tournament but they looked different. Tons of energy man to man defense full court and bench had just as much energy

Well, you have to say the first few weeks then have been successful for this coach.

Summer can fool you though, everyone is happy.

Where they winning? If they were losing and you were witnessing energy and bench engagement then you have something.

Well, you have to say the first few weeks then have been successful for this coach.

Summer can fool you though, everyone is happy.

Where they winning? If they were losing and you were witnessing energy and bench engagement then you have something.

Both it was same energy no matter what was going on

I think the gym at Beavercreek is one of the better ones.. it seats 2500. Which is a good size for an Ohio gym. I know it is not butler or Fairmont. My point to the whole scenario was that that area has unlimited potential to build a serious program if they think outside the box and get a coach with a championship pedigree and a proven track record and let him build a program from elementary through the high school.. With that said , I do wish Coach Pitman the best.

I don't mind the Beavercreek field house, but I fully understand why some people might not like it. It can feel kind of cramped if anywhere close to capacity with the way with way the seating is leveled top and bottom, and there are some obstructed sightlines in the upper deck. It could have a really good home court advantage if attendance was consistently strong, but it's easily the worst of the large GWOC schools as far as fan viewing experience. Not even close.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk