BASEBALL TRYOUTS THIS YEAR

I know that you guys are joking and it is a common thing to just say that this generation and their parent are just soft. But I do think that it is very hard for multi-sport athletes to excel at multiple high school sports in this day and age despite what recruiters and scouts like to say. Most of the trouble comes from high school and club coaches and not the college recruiters.
The general concensus since the beginning of time is that the younger generations are softer than we were.
In some aspects it is true, but in others.....not so much.

When I think about 'back in my day' it was much easier being a 3 sport athlete. Spring and summer was baseball. August through the end of football was football season, and then you went into basketball.

Pretty simple.

The only co-mingling we ever did was in January of hoops season a few of us would go and hit on Saturday mornings for a little bit on our own. Sometimes we took it more seriously than other weekends and we were a pretty decent team/program.

Nowadays........these kids get pulled all different directions. I want to say it is tougher being a 2 sport athlete now than it was a 3 sports in the late 80s, early 90s.

I was thinking about all of this a couple of months ago when I was talking to my Godson. He has been able to piece together a full baseball and football schedule in a pretty decent program, work part time even in season, and on the side does wood working projects for people and I am like man, when I was a kid no way was I doing that much!

Coaches demand more out of season nowadays. Luckily, for us, back in the day summer was baseball season. I coached summer HS baseball for a decade and by the end of that run we had to keep a spreadsheet to know who was going to be there on certain nights due to kids missing for evertying else.

We compromised with the basketball coach to not schedule anything on Monday nights so they could do their thing.
With football we had an agreement with the coaches taht the kids would attend baseball tournament games instead of 7 on 7's, etc, and if we didnt have a tournamen gme then we would not schedule any baseball those nights of 7/7 so the kids were not put in the middle to have to choose.

The general concensus since the beginning of time is that the younger generations are softer than we were.
In some aspects it is true, but in others.....not so much.

When I think about 'back in my day' it was much easier being a 3 sport athlete. Spring and summer was baseball. August through the end of football was football season, and then you went into basketball.

Pretty simple.

The only co-mingling we ever did was in January of hoops season a few of us would go and hit on Saturday mornings for a little bit on our own. Sometimes we took it more seriously than other weekends and we were a pretty decent team/program.

Nowadays........these kids get pulled all different directions. I want to say it is tougher being a 2 sport athlete now than it was a 3 sports in the late 80s, early 90s.

I was thinking about all of this a couple of months ago when I was talking to my Godson. He has been able to piece together a full baseball and football schedule in a pretty decent program, work part time even in season, and on the side does wood working projects for people and I am like man, when I was a kid no way was I doing that much!

Coaches demand more out of season nowadays. Luckily, for us, back in the day summer was baseball season. I coached summer HS baseball for a decade and by the end of that run we had to keep a spreadsheet to know who was going to be there on certain nights due to kids missing for evertying else.

We compromised with the basketball coach to not schedule anything on Monday nights so they could do their thing.
With football we had an agreement with the coaches taht the kids would attend baseball tournament games instead of 7 on 7's, etc, and if we didnt have a tournamen gme then we would not schedule any baseball those nights of 7/7 so the kids were not put in the middle to have to choose.
I agree with 100% percent what you just said. Sometimes, I am amazed at all the stuff my kids got going on and they still kept it all together. In reply to another above response, I will relay a story: a few years ago, I was listening to a podcast of the sports station up in Dayton. It was a podcast that was primarily promoting the "FLYING TO THE HOOP?" tournament. The host was interviewing the Huber Heights Wayne basketball coach. At the time HHW had a pretty good team and was playing in the tournament. The HHW football had just had a very successful season and I think they had made it to the state finals. The host asked the coach how were the football players melding into the team and the coach said that he wished the football players had never played football. That they were behind and that they were never going to catch up and never really contribute. The host was dumbstruck and quickly moved on. I couldn't believe he said it so I had to stop the podcast and re-play it. It was said and squares with some other stuff that I have had other public school coaches say about baseball (interfering with AAU basketball for example). I am telling you, some of these high school coaches are ruthless.

Last edited:
I agree with 100% percent what you just said. Sometimes, I am amazed at all the stuff my kids got going on and they still kept it all together. In reply to another above response, I will relay a story: a few years ago, I was listening to a podcast of the sports station up in Dayton. It was a podcast that was primarily promoting the "FLYING TO THE HOOP?" tournament. The host was interviewing the Huber Heights Wayne basketball coach. At the time HHW had a pretty good team and was playing in the tournament. The HHW football had just had a very successful season and I think they had made it to the state finals. The host asked the coach how were the football players melding into the team and the coach said that he wished the football players had never played football. That they were behind and that they were never going to catch up and never really contribute. The host was dumbstruck and quickly moved on. I couldn't believe he said it so I had to buck up the podcast and re-play it. it was said and squares with some other stuff that I have had other public school coaches say about baseball (interfering with AAU basketball for example). I am telling you, some of these high school coaches are ruthless.
I got a nasty voicemail from a basketball coach when his players skipped an open gym in June to play in a big summer baseball county league game. One reason why their baseball program stinks whereas at a diff place I coached the football coach would have the kid who was pitching in a summer league tounry game just be a spotter in the AM and not lift so he was strong. Hint...both of those programs in the latter example have tremendous success in both sports because the programs work together and don't Make the kids choose or pick a side

the coach said that he wished the football players had never played football. That they were behind and that they were never going to catch up and never really contribute. The host was dumbstruck and quickly moved on. I couldn't believe he said it so I had to stop the podcast and re-play it. It was said and squares with some other stuff that I have had other public school coaches say about baseball (interfering with AAU basketball for example).

I'd be fired for saying that.

Wish more coaches/parents would simply let their kids enjoy every high school sport they desire to play, regardless of the sole called priority of one over another. The reality is that the vast majority of these young athletes will be finished competing in any organized sport after high school graduation. Most will never compete in college. So hard for parents to just remember that fact and have to deal with their son/daughters end of competitive sports.

BASESWIMPARENT......I didn't want to seem to attack you, but I just wanted you to note that while it might be an individual coaches' rule, or even a SCHOOL or SCHOOL DISTRICT rule, it is not a STATE rule that you cannot go to another team's practice or open gym that is out of season. As noted, it is a violation of Ohio rules to go to another non-interscholastic team's practice, tryouts, games (such as a summer baseball teams tryouts during spring baseball season, or play CYO basketball AND for your school basketball team).

It happens all the time, legally at our school, kids in wrestling will come to open gyms for baseball, just to get some swings in, or to throw and get their arms in shape For that matter, how could a kid play soccer, but then also be a kicker on the football team? Just wanted to set you straight.....

I will ask my AD but that idea is very dangerous if you think about it. What do you mean you ask? How about this? I practice really hard at wrestling, but I plan on playing baseball. What if between school and practicing for wrestling, I don't have time or I am not willing or interested in getting some swings in or throwing because I am focused on wrestling (like lifting in the morning and practicing in the afternoon). Maybe I will finish high at states. Maybe I can honestly compete for a state championship. But alas, I don't win the states but finish 8th and I go to baseball tryouts for winter athletes which is later in the baseball season. I struggle at tryouts because this is the first time I have done baseball related activities since October. When I get cut after two or three days, the coach says: "I really respect multi-sport athletes but you are behind and I had not seen you at any of the non-mandatory (but really mandatory) open gyms."

I will ask my AD but that idea is very dangerous if you think about it. What do you mean you ask? How about this? I practice really hard at wrestling, but I plan on playing baseball. What if between school and practicing for wrestling, I don't have time or I am not willing or interested in getting some swings in or throwing because I am focused on wrestling (like lifting in the morning and practicing in the afternoon). Maybe I will finish high at states. Maybe I can honestly compete for a state championship. But alas, I don't win the states but finish 8th and I go to baseball tryouts for winter athletes which is later in the baseball season. I struggle at tryouts because this is the first time I have done baseball related activities since October. When I get cut after two or three days, the coach says: "I really respect multi-sport athletes but you are behind and I had not seen you at any of the non-mandatory (but really mandatory) open gyms."

But he IS behind other kids and thus not as good. Are you saying he shouldn't get cut because he played another sport and didn't have the time to get better at this sport? How is that fair to the kids that did put in the work to get better? The kid was successful at wrestling. That's admirable in and of itself. Why should he get special treatment with one sport just because he is good at another? He chose to prioritize one sport over another and wanted to get really good at one. There's nothing wrong with that. But every action has consequences, and for this one it meant falling behind in another sport. There's only so much time in a day and he chose how to use his time. Again, nothing wrong with that, that's just life.

And I know you've said the coaches need to have longer tryouts to see more of what the kids can do. Well to that I say, we ain't got time for all that. The high school season, particularly baseball, is VERY short. Every day you add to tryouts is one less day you get practicing as a team. They need to show up ready to play or not. No one has time for all the excuses. We have a season to get started.

Well, first off, all I was discussing was your statement that going to another season's practice or open gym is not permitted by OHSAA rule. Can we simply agree that you were incorrect in that statement, and then move on to the other topic that you've now brought up? OK, lets do that.....

Any coach from any sport has a right to hold his tryouts and make his cuts when he wants to. If he wants to be dumb and shortsighted and not give 3 or 4 athletes from another sport the right to have a "late tryout", I believe that is his right. I would tell you that the VAST majority of coaches, if they are in a sport that "cuts", will allow that athlete his own tryout a couple of weeks AFTER the original tryouts, so he can see if that player will help him.

And just because I said it is permitted that a player can go to another sports' open gyms or practices, that doesn't mean he HAS to. At our school, no player can be FORCED to go his next sport while still in his current sport. He's free to, if he wants, but we cannot mandate has to come to baseball practices when he's still in wrestling, or basketball or ......whatever. And I think most coaches would feel that well too. Sorry you had a sour experience with sport overlap at your school

But he IS behind other kids and thus not as good. Are you saying he shouldn't get cut because he played another sport and didn't have the time to get better at this sport? How is that fair to the kids that did put in the work to get better? The kid was successful at wrestling. That's admirable in and of itself. Why should he get special treatment with one sport just because he is good at another? He chose to prioritize one sport over another and wanted to get really good at one. There's nothing wrong with that. But every action has consequences, and for this one it meant falling behind in another sport. There's only so much time in a day and he chose how to use his time. Again, nothing wrong with that, that's just life.

And I know you've said the coaches need to have longer tryouts to see more of what the kids can do. Well to that I say, we ain't got time for all that. The high school season, particularly baseball, is VERY short. Every day you add to tryouts is one less day you get practicing as a team. They need to show up ready to play or not. No one has time for all the excuses. We have a season to get started.
I thought we respected and encouraged multi-sport athletes.

Well, first off, all I was discussing was your statement that going to another season's practice or open gym is not permitted by OHSAA rule. Can we simply agree that you were incorrect in that statement, and then move on to the other topic that you've now brought up? OK, lets do that.....

Any coach from any sport has a right to hold his tryouts and make his cuts when he wants to. If he wants to be dumb and shortsighted and not give 3 or 4 athletes from another sport the right to have a "late tryout", I believe that is his right. I would tell you that the VAST majority of coaches, if they are in a sport that "cuts", will allow that athlete his own tryout a couple of weeks AFTER the original tryouts, so he can see if that player will help him.

And just because I said it is permitted that a player can go to another sports' open gyms or practices, that doesn't mean he HAS to. At our school, no player can be FORCED to go his next sport while still in his current sport. He's free to, if he wants, but we cannot mandate has to come to baseball practices when he's still in wrestling, or basketball or ......whatever. And I think most coaches would feel that well too. Sorry you had a sour experience with sport overlap at your school
First, I have not checked with our AD, but when I do and I will, I will report what he said since it was his baseball coach that told my son that he could not go to both and I really do seem to remember something on the slide show or video (whatever I watched it on my computer) confirming this because I was puzzled too. Second, I did not say that I had I sour experience, I am just saying that it is hypocritical of high school coaches to say that they respect and understand multi-sport athletes and then their actions don't speak to that. And, I do respect that the spring sports are so short that the coaches are under the gun time wise. So I bring answers. GO WATCH YOUR PLAYERS IN THE SUMMER. You will know that they can do and where they might fit. OR, quit being hypocrites and just come out and tell your players that the open gyms are mandatory and that if you want to play basketball for me, you better play AAU in the Summer and the Spring and if you wan to play football for me you better come to my 7 on 7 camps in the summer. If you allow players to participate in multi-sports simultaneously for the school in off season, you are opening yourself up to abuse of the purpose of those open gyms. That is: I am going to hold those players accountable even though I am not supposed to.

Read some comments on this thread about parents watching tryouts. What about parents watching practices also? Our school practices at an off-site facility up until the games start. Guess this gives parents license to observe in their minds. My son tells me that there are several freshman parents at the practices every day. Time to let them go by the time they are in 9th grade. Not doing them any favors by watching them and not letting them grow. Bet they feel the pressure of the parents watching. In other words, stop being a helicopter parent, it will be better for the kid.

I thought we respected and encouraged multi-sport athletes.
How is that disrespectful to muktisport athletes? Again, there are consequences to the decisions you make. Playing multiple sports, while almost ay coach will encourage, has its consequences. One of which is you will most times fall behind kids just focused on that one sport. If the school is big enough, thus creating a larger pool of potential players, the advantage will be towards the ones putting on the most time during the off-season. I dont really know what you want except to give preferential treatment to those kids and give them a free spot on a team because they spent too much time playing something else.

And I seriously doubt there are any kids that show up to a tryout that the coaches know nothing about. I guarantee they not only know about the kids, but they've talked to them in the off-season at some point, including the ones playing other sports. They know where they play summer ball and who they've been training with. Freshman they may have less idea of their actual talent due to never seeing them perform in person, but they will have talked with them, asked other players about them, and even reached out to other coaches. A kid showing up to a tryout that coaches know zero about is something that just doesn't happen very often, if at all. So even though it may not seem like it to you, kids are getting more of a fair shake than you may want to give them credit for.

Last edited:
First, I have not checked with our AD, but when I do and I will, I will report what he said since it was his baseball coach that told my son that he could not go to both and I really do seem to remember something on the slide show or video (whatever I watched it on my computer) confirming this because I was puzzled too. Second, I did not say that I had I sour experience, I am just saying that it is hypocritical of high school coaches to say that they respect and understand multi-sport athletes and then their actions don't speak to that. And, I do respect that the spring sports are so short that the coaches are under the gun time wise. So I bring answers. GO WATCH YOUR PLAYERS IN THE SUMMER. You will know that they can do and where they might fit. OR, quit being hypocrites and just come out and tell your players that the open gyms are mandatory and that if you want to play basketball for me, you better play AAU in the Summer and the Spring and if you wan to play football for me you better come to my 7 on 7 camps in the summer. If you allow players to participate in multi-sports simultaneously for the school in off season, you are opening yourself up to abuse of the purpose of those open gyms. That is: I am going to hold those players accountable even though I am not supposed to.

How is allowing players to come to open gyms during other seasons opening a coach to abuse of the purpose of open gyms? Do you think wrestlers that play baseball are not wrestling once or twice a week during baseball season? Baseball players who play football are playing baseball during the summer are also hitting the weight room in the morning for football and attending 7 on 7s when they are not playing baseball. During Football season the kids that will be playing basketball are going to basketball open gyms on sundays..

Your son was skipping swimming practice to go to baseball open gym. This isn't right, the sport that is in season comes first. Would your baseball coach allow your son the swimmer to miss baseball practice to attend open pool time.

"Open Gymnasiums or Facilities Member Schools 10.1) Regulations 10.1.2) The school may designate the sport or sports that will be played during the free play period, but may not limit participation to a select group of students from within the school. The school may also designate the grade levels involved and may limit participation to students enrolled in the school."

Straight from the OHSAA handbook in reference to open gyms. It's available for viewing on their site. The school may not limit participation in open gyms/conditioning to a select group of students (ie. those not playing a winter sport). Athletes involved in winter sports are free to attend an open gym for a spring sport. Don't rely on what a slideshow says or does not say.

When my son was in school, most of the basketball players didn't start working out for baseball until basketball season ended. We never had enough players to cut so it's not like they were missing out by not being with the team. A few of them would hit on Saturday mornings the last couple weeks of basketball season, but they didn't attend any of the weekday workouts/practices until after basketball ended

When my son was in school, most of the basketball players didn't start working out for baseball until basketball season ended. We never had enough players to cut so it's not like they were missing out by not being with the team. A few of them would hit on Saturday mornings the last couple weeks of basketball season, but they didn't attend any of the weekday workouts/practices until after basketball ended

You have to allow a kid 5 days from basketball season ends until he has to come to baseball practice.

It is always questionable whether that means 5 calendar days or 5 practice days.

All the conversation about winter sports and open gym aside - it does seem to me that three days of tryouts seem awfully quick to really evaluate players. Our baseball team had two weeks of tryouts - cuts were made after the first week and then rosters were set at the end of week 2.

You have to allow a kid 5 days from basketball season ends until he has to come to baseball practice.

It is always questionable whether that means 5 calendar days or 5 practice days.
Being a 3 sport athlete I found that if it was a sport I was not real fond of, hoops, I would take the full 5 days but baseball we went the very next morning!

How is allowing players to come to open gyms during other seasons opening a coach to abuse of the purpose of open gyms? Do you think wrestlers that play baseball are not wrestling once or twice a week during baseball season? Baseball players who play football are playing baseball during the summer are also hitting the weight room in the morning for football and attending 7 on 7s when they are not playing baseball. During Football season the kids that will be playing basketball are going to basketball open gyms on sundays..

Your son was skipping swimming practice to go to baseball open gym. This isn't right, the sport that is in season comes first. Would your baseball coach allow your son the swimmer to miss baseball practice to attend open pool time.

He never practiced with his school team except once a morning. He practiced with his club so he never really missed swimming practice. This adds another level of complexity that I just left out. He was until this year multi-event state qualifier. But he gave it up to focus on baseball because an assistant coach who is still on the team, told him he had to make a choice.

"Open Gymnasiums or Facilities Member Schools 10.1) Regulations 10.1.2) The school may designate the sport or sports that will be played during the free play period, but may not limit participation to a select group of students from within the school. The school may also designate the grade levels involved and may limit participation to students enrolled in the school."

Straight from the OHSAA handbook in reference to open gyms. It's available for viewing on their site. The school may not limit participation in open gyms/conditioning to a select group of students (ie. those not playing a winter sport). Athletes involved in winter sports are free to attend an open gym for a spring sport. Don't rely on what a slideshow says or does not say.
This reply is totally out of left field.

How is that disrespectful to muktisport athletes? Again, there are consequences to the decisions you make. Playing multiple sports, while almost ay coach will encourage, has its consequences. One of which is you will most times fall behind kids just focused on that one sport. If the school is big enough, thus creating a larger pool of potential players, the advantage will be towards the ones putting on the most time during the off-season. I dont really know what you want except to give preferential treatment to those kids and give them a free spot on a team because they spent too much time playing something else.

And I seriously doubt there are any kids that show up to a tryout that the coaches know nothing about. I guarantee they not only know about the kids, but they've talked to them in the off-season at some point, including the ones playing other sports. They know where they play summer ball and who they've been training with. Freshman they may have less idea of their actual talent due to never seeing them perform in person, but they will have talked with them, asked other players about them, and even reached out to other coaches. A kid showing up to a tryout that coaches know zero about is something that just doesn't happen very often, if at all. So even though it may not seem like it to you, kids are getting more of a fair shake than you may want to give them credit for.
First you give coaches a lot more credit than I do for those who do not go out and watch their players in the summer, Second, my concern for the open gym issue is that coaches can weaponize open gym attendance against those that don't attend for whatever reason. That is, we take attendance and hold it against those that don't come. What if those that don't come are (a) studying and (b) playing another in season sport. If you are going to have 3 day tryouts, one better have given one's self a chance to see all potential candidates with their best foot forward.

First you give coaches a lot more credit than I do for those who do not go out and watch their players in the summer, Second, my concern for the open gym issue is that coaches can weaponize open gym attendance against those that don't attend for whatever reason. That is, we take attendance and hold it against those that don't come. What if those that don't come are (a) studying and (b) playing another in season sport. If you are going to have 3 day tryouts, one better have given one's self a chance to see all potential candidates with their best foot forward.
I never said coaches are watching kids in the summer. I think that's an unreasonable expectation. I said they know who they play for. As for attendance, that's used to motivate those that aren't doing a winter sport or activity. Everyone's name is listed on the attendance sheet, with the winter sport listed next to the names of kids playing another sport. It is NOT expected got those kids to show up. Matter of fact, it would be a problem if they did because they need to be focused on the other sport and really shouldn't be there.

I never said coaches are watching kids in the summer. I think that's an unreasonable expectation. I said they know who they play for. As for attendance, that's used to motivate those that aren't doing a winter sport or activity. Everyone's name is listed on the attendance sheet, with the winter sport listed next to the names of kids playing another sport. It is NOT expected got those kids to show up. Matter of fact, it would be a problem if they did because they need to be focused on the other sport and really shouldn't be there.

I am saying that they should not rely on others opinion. That they go out and watch for themselves (thereby motivating their players) and I do think some coaches expect players to come out to open gyms regardless of other commitments. Read what others have posted on this thread. Tryouts executed indoors in a gym are very tough to get a good evaluation on the players. Outside is a big difference from inside. I don't no why it just is. Look, my whole point starting this thread is this: If we are going to have 3 day tryouts, how does one "know" whom to pick if the first time they have seen them is on that Monday. And I know that indoor tryout in gyms are really hard to evaluate. What I would encourage coaches to do is have their open fields in the fall (if that is still possible) and/ or check out your players in local tourneys in the summer. Spring sports are unique because of weather issues and how short the season is. I live in SWO and it only gets exponentially worse as you go north. The kids are pretty much there whole baseball career to play school ball. It is a really big deal to them. Thanks to everyone for participating.

Last edited:
I am saying that they should not rely on others opinion. That they go out and watch for themselves (thereby motivating their players) and I do think some coaches expect players to come out to open gyms regardless of other commitments. Read what others have posted on this thread. Tryouts executed indoors in a gym are very tough to get a good evaluation on the players. Outside is a big difference from inside. I don't no why it just is. Look, my whole point starting this thread is this: If we are going to have 3 day tryouts, how does one "know" whom to pick if the first time they have seen them is on that Monday. And I know that indoor tryout in gyms are really hard to evaluate. What I would encourage coaches to do is have their open fields in the fall (if that is still possible) and/ or check out your players in local tourneys in the summer. Spring sports are unique because of weather issues and how short the season is. I live in SWO and it only gets exponentially worse as you go north. The kids are pretty much there whole baseball career to play school ball. It is a really big deal to them. Thanks to everyone for participating.
At the end of the day it's on each player to stay in communication with the coach. Trust me, it's only when kids disappear, never talk to coaches, then show up on tryout day supposedly ready to go, that there's a problem. By that time they've set themselves up for failure and the excuses start pouring out about how they weren't given a shot, the teams were already chosen, they don't like me, blah blah blah. It boils down to kids learning to be responsible for their lives and what they want in order to be accountable for what they get.

At the end of the day it's on each player to stay in communication with the coach. Trust me, it's only when kids disappear, never talk to coaches, then show up on tryout day supposedly ready to go, that there's a problem. By that time they've set themselves up for failure and the excuses start pouring out about how they weren't given a shot, the teams were already chosen, they don't like me, blah blah blah. It boils down to kids learning to be responsible for their lives and what they want in order to be accountable for what they get.
Can't argue with that. As a father of high school boy, teaching responsibility has been my biggest challenge. My daughter not so much. My son... geesh.

Luckily the myriad of travel.ball has not hit our part of the state much and our HS team plays together in the summer for the most part and the school coaches can come watch whenever they want very easily.

Luckily the myriad of travel.ball has not hit our part of the state much and our HS team plays together in the summer for the most part and the school coaches can come watch whenever they want very easily.
I am guessing this is one of those 10 day teams that play in a league? I thought that the number of boys from the same high school was limited in the summer? I get confused by these rules. But there are several tourneys in SWO (mostly run by the Flame organization or the Midland Round Robins that local coaches could attend and catch a lot of their players (and other teams players too) in an afternoon.

I am guessing this is one of those 10 day teams that play in a league? I thought that the number of boys from the same high school was limited in the summer? I get confused by these rules. But there are several tourneys in SWO (mostly run by the Flame organization or the Midland Round Robins that local coaches could attend and catch a lot of their players (and other teams players too) in an afternoon.
Nope. As long as none of the coaches, paid or volunteer, coach the team it does not matter in June and most of July. We've played anywhere between 24-45 games together in the summer with most, if not all, the team together as do most of the local teams.