Barberton's 100 greatest Football players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vandersoll ?

Great list! Player #55 sounded familiar. Weren't there twins from Coventry with the same last name about the same time? Any relation?

Don Kotnik is in the Summit County Hall as well, but as a golfer. His son Mike who is a good friend of mine was a senior at Toledo St. Johns the year they beat us in the Playoffs. To this day he still laughs about that kid making that FG to beat us. That kid was a bare foot kicker and it was about 10 degrees that night if you recall and to top it off Mike swears that that was the 1st non extra point that kid made all season. Just a off the subject story I thought I would throw in there.

Last edited:
Don Kotnik is in the Summit County Hall as well, but as a golfer. His son Mike who is a good friend of mine was a senior at Toledo St. Johns the year they beat us in the Playoffs. To this day he still laughs about that kid making that FG to beat us. That kid was a bare foot kicker and it was about 10 degrees that night if you recall and to top it off Mike swears that that was the 1st non extra point that kid made all season. Just a off the subject story I thought I would throw in there. Very nice list frecriss, thanks for including my dad Ron Mollric. He was happy to hear he made the list.

Your Father was a terrific player, he was the team leader in both passing and punting while at Kent State.

76. Joel Campbell. A two year starter at guard for the Magics in 1976-77, Campbell teamed with Chuck Rowland, Bob Hill and Tim Phillips to give Barberton an overpowering offensive line. Joel would go on to Mount Union where he was named to the All-OAC team in both 1980 and 1981.

I was a freshmen at MU when he was there. He wasn't a big guard, he was a good technique based guard. I lined up against him many times in practice, he was a good football player to be sure.

What a line that was with Campbell(Mount Union), Rowland(Michigan/Toledo), Bobby Hill(Youngstown State) and Tim Phillips(Marshall),they were all seniors in 1977.

I can never remember who the center was though, it was either Gary Whipkey or Dan Ozbolt. They were both juniors.

What a line that was with Campbell(Mount Union), Rowland(Michigan/Toledo), Bobby Hill(Youngstown State) and Tim Phillips(Marshall),they were all seniors in 1977.

I can never remember who the center was though, it was either Gary Whipkey or Dan Ozbolt. They were both juniors.

I believe Whipkey was the center.

Mario Russo

Guys...I just came across this site. My father is Mario Russo. I printed out the entire thread and sent it to him to read. I am sure that he will get a kick out of it. I know that Mario will be back in Ohio next week...I think there is an Akron Hall of Fame function. Be sure to say hi to him if you see him. Mike

Guys...I just came across this site. My father is Mario Russo. I printed out the entire thread and sent it to him to read. I am sure that he will get a kick out of it. I know that Mario will be back in Ohio next week...I think there is an Akron Hall of Fame function. Be sure to say hi to him if you see him. Mike

Mario Russo was a great player for the Magics on those awesome teams of 1950-51. Great coach also!

Status
Not open for further replies.