Avatar 2 Bombing With Friday Box Office

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
The trades originally pegged (hoped) Avatar 2 would open to as high as $200 million domestically or more, with the low estimates at $175 million, but the numbers don’t look to be anywhere close.

It’s now estimated Avatar 2 will be lucky to hit $150 million for the weekend with even $120 million possible.

I'm not that surprised. This is one of those movies that was more about the special effects rather than the story. It really was an amazing visual when the first one came out. Now it is commonplace. I'll maybe see it on a Monday when movies are only $5 at our local theater.

The first Avatar didn’t do big opening day numbers either and still went on to be the highest grossing movie of all time.

Itsstrength will be in its longevity and the fact it has no competition for quite awhile.

It’s got next to no chance of breaking even let along turning a profit. One of the most bloated pictures of all time.

It’s got next to no chance of breaking even let along turning a profit. One of the most bloated pictures of all time.

Oh sure, but the opening day number has little bearing. Avatar plays the long game.

I do think it will turn a slight profit. I think the amount they are stating they need to hit to break even is being overblown.

Maybe people are getting tired of garbage sequels, remakes and Superhero movies, and would like to go see something original for the first time in years. Or maybe it's just me.
Went and saw Violent Night on Friday and thought it was a decent movie.

Maybe people are getting tired of garbage sequels, remakes and Superhero movies, and would like to go see something original for the first time in years. Or maybe it's just me.

I haven't seen it, and liked but didn't love the original. Have heard great reviews for the sequel. Granted, have also seen some say it's boring.

I find myself not in any rush to see it.

When I read where they're "resurrecting" Sigourney Weaver's character and that of the evil colonel, I just shook my head and figured for the same plot as the first one, just recycled a tad. Really enjoyed the first one from a visual perspective. No desire to see this one.

Why do we have so many sequels and Superhero films? Because like everything else, China is also ruining Hollywood. The CCP wants mindless drivel, so we get mindless drivel.

Why do we have so many sequels and Superhero films? Because like everything else, China is also ruining Hollywood. The CCP wants mindless drivel, so we get mindless drivel.

not quite true. A number of Superhero films didn't even release in China this year because they banned the film. Russia as well.

I'm not that surprised. This is one of those movies that was more about the special effects rather than the story. It really was an amazing visual when the first one came out. Now it is commonplace. I'll maybe see it on a Monday when movies are only $5 at our local theater.

Already up to $515M worldwide on day 6.

It will likely break even if it has the same legs as the first movie. Production budget was rumored to be around $400M, which means it will need to make about $1B to break even.

It's already halfway there in less than a week.

I did watch two similar movies yesterday before going on my bike ride.

When this flick came out, my mother was 20 and preparing to leave home to enlist in the Navy. Her youngest brother was 7 and was not handling it well, so she took him into town to see Yellow Ribbon, and made it a special day for him with popcorn and candy, a luxury they almost never had.

About 20 years ago my uncle sent Mom a DVD of Yellow Ribbon, and a letter saying how much that day meant to him. When she passed away, my father gave me the DVD. I still have it, but don't think I can ever watch it.

When I read where they're "resurrecting" Sigourney Weaver's character and that of the evil colonel, I just shook my head and figured for the same plot as the first one, just recycled a tad. Really enjoyed the first one from a visual perspective. No desire to see this one.

apparently Weaver is playing the role but it's not exactly her role from the first movie. I'm hearing its a bit of a mystery.

apparently Weaver is playing the role but it's not exactly her role from the first movie. I'm hearing its a bit of a mystery.
Hmm. Sounds like a possible resurrection of a plot device from “Alien 4: Resurrection”. Shouldn’t be a stretch for Ms. Sigourney”. 😎

Hmm. Sounds like a possible resurrection of a plot device from “Alien 4: Resurrection”. Shouldn’t be a stretch for Ms. Sigourney”. 😎

I dunno, it's weird. I haven't seen the movie yet, but going by reviews, it's left as a mystery that few have figured out.

She's playing Zoe Saldana and Sam Worthington's daughter, it seems the daughter has the "soul" of Weaver's character from the first film, but the mystery is in how the daughter "came to be".