Australian Rules Football

Auglaize99

Richmond and Carlton kicked off the 2020 season in an empty stadium. This game would normally have been played in front of 80,000 fans. Even on TV the difference in the atmosphere was evident. The ambient sound was scattered echos as opposed to the roar of a crowd.

FS2 is scheduled to show one AFL game per week. I you need more footy, Fox Soccer Plus is the primary channel for viewing AFL in the US.

Always liked the old Aussie referee unis, and watching them make the call after a try or kick on goal.

Last edited:
Aussie rules football is f'n awesome to watch as a casual fan. Idk who holds the tv rights for it in the USA, but ESPN or Fox should air it in primetime since there's nothing else on right now.

Next to my building in Queens there's a construction worker/Latin dive bar that I typically avoid because they never have drink deals and fights typically break out there, but I had a friend visit me on a weekday night and we ended up in there at like 1 am and watched Aussie Rules football for like an hour and it was a good time (y)

Aussie rules football is f'n awesome to watch as a casual fan. Idk who holds the tv rights for it in the USA, but ESPN or Fox should air it in primetime since there's nothing else on right now.
ESPN had it years and years ago. Then Fox Sports World had it until they rebranded as Fox Soccer Channel. When that converted eventually into FS1 there was no desire to bring it back. I think it went to pay channels like a lot of international soccer competitions and never came back.

I loved it growing up. Essendon Bombers fan here.

ESPN had it years and years ago. Then Fox Sports World had it until they rebranded as Fox Soccer Channel. When that converted eventually into FS1 there was no desire to bring it back. I think it went to pay channels like a lot of international soccer competitions and never came back.

I loved it growing up. Essendon Bombers fan here.
As I mentioned on a different thread, 1 of the PBS digital channels (MHZ Worldview) a few years ago would carry a tape delayed Aussie game on Mon. nights. I'm not sure what prompted them to discontinue with it. They also carried a league recap/highlights show on some other weeknight. I was a fan of the Western Bulldogs for their play on the field and the Collingwood Magpies for their uniforms. All of the teams' fight songs are pretty funny.

I watch it on fox sports channel plus. With the time difference it is early morning here. I have to get our 15+ year old ? out to go potty and then around 2AM I start watching.

FS1 had two games on last night. First game was awesome and came right down to the horn and I watched half of the second game.

Hawthorn Hawks vs Brisbane Lions tonight at midnight eastern on FS1. LIVE SPORTS on your television

Apparently the games are usually on FS2 all season long. So tune in there whenever regular sports come back.

When do you guys think we'll have regular sports again? I doubt the NHL plays again this season, NBA the same, MLB may get in half a season, NFL maybe start late and college sports no clue.

The NRL is showing reruns. Most I haven't seen so they are new to me. SEC, BTN and other conference networks are showing a lot of reruns. They call them "classics". Wouldn't call very many classic.

CBS showed the 1992 (Duke vs. Kentucky) and 2016 (Villanova vs. UNC) NCAA tournament games yesterday and today in the afternoon. Great games.

Years ago I used to be a faithful watcher of Australian footie, and I came to the conclusion that there were no rules in Australian Rules Football. It seemded that anything was allowed.

Go to Youtube and do a search for "Australian football hamstring". Quite a few clips of Aussie players pulling hammies, seems to be a common injury for them.

My girlfriend got me into it. Her dad played when he was young and his family were missionaries in New Guinea. Apparently if he stayed, he would have went pro.
It's a really neat and easy to understand sport.