Atwater Waterloo demolishes bleachers

wildcat71

Drove by Atwater Waterloo stadium and the entire home side including bleachers, concession stand and restrooms are gone. The visitors bleachers also gone and sitting in that place are what appear to be what were auxiliary band bleachers. Theses are very, very small. They are about 3 maybe 4 rows high. Wonder what the plan is for the home side. I read this is all volunteer work as district is broke and played last year's home games at a neighboring school. Great that volunteers have stepped up to help out a struggling school district.

I'm not sure why schools don't use volunteers more. Over the last decade, I watched local school personnel run volunteers off from multiple projects. Maybe that tide is turning a little and we can get more people to step up and make the sports programs better.

Good luck to Waterloo is getting games at their school again.

I hope the Vikings are on their way back. Hard to believe how far they have fallen after being competitive most of the time. The teams need community support to build some pride and confidence. Get back in the PTC where you belong.

I'm not sure why schools don't use volunteers more. Over the last decade, I watched local school personnel run volunteers off from multiple projects. Maybe that tide is turning a little and we can get more people to step up and make the sports programs better.

Good luck to Waterloo is getting games at their school again.

There are probably some liability issues and issues of recourse for why it's not done more. What recourse would a school have if work done by volunteers was done incorrectly or resulted in an injury? If the school officially hires a company and has a contract with the terms in writing, they can potentially sue the contractor if something goes wrong.

Incidentally, Canton CC's original stadium that was used from 1954-1998 was built by the booster club as was the old baseball field that was behind the tennis courts. A small pressbox/coaches' booth on the visitors' side was built in the late '70s by the summer work crew (students who provided labor on various projects in exchange for tuition credit) under the supervision of Coach Klinefelter who had a wide variety of handyman and construction skills. IIRC, the booster club also provided labor when a new gravel track surface was installed in the mid '70s to replace one that had previously been vandalized beyond repair. My grandpa was one those laborers on the stadium and baseball field projects. As best I can tell, the projects were a good excuse for the guys to get together and shoot the BS and have a few pops on a nice day.

Last edited:
I've seen a baseball field covered in weeds (dirt portion). A couple baseball parents went out and put weed killer in the infield. They were runoff and accused of $6000 worth of damage to the field and the field was closed for the Summer. Absolutely nothing was destroyed except the weeds. Never quite understood why the school reacted that way unless it was protecting a job or just wanting to shutdown the field.

I and fellow students were used as the labor to build St. X's first football stadium; did a good job on the bleachers, not so much on the press box[it leaned after a year] :oops:

Saw today that Waterloo AD Mike Davies stated that they plan on having games at their home stadium this year. Hopefully, they have bleachers and workers ready to install.:)

Saw today that Waterloo AD Mike Davies stated that they plan on having games at their home stadium this year. Hopefully, they have bleachers and workers ready to install.:)
For a district that I believe has financial woes, you have to wonder where the money is coming from.
Not much of a football school for quite a while now.
I think they prefer boys basketball in that neck of the woods.

Talked to some people from there.....bleachers were a huge liability and had to be removed. Luckily, local construction companies volunteered to remove. No plans to replace the bleachers because there is no money to do it. Unless they get lucky and a wealthy donor comes around, it will be bring a lawn chair to watch games there.

Talked to some people from there.....bleachers were a huge liability and had to be removed. Luckily, local construction companies volunteered to remove. No plans to replace the bleachers because there is no money to do it. Unless they get lucky and a wealthy donor comes around, it will be bring a lawn chair to watch games there.
Assuming there is a season, if there are any limitations placed on crowd size and who can attend games this fall, lawn chairs might be all that are needed.

Assuming there is a season, if there are any limitations placed on crowd size and who can attend games this fall, lawn chairs might be all that are needed.
Maybe they'll go the route of loges.

1593708108850.png

I needed a great laugh today and when I saw that pic of the loges.....I cracked up.......one would need binoculars to see the field from the top "floors"

Actually the neighbor that lives behind the visitors side of Waterloo’s stadium already has a tree house he used to watch the games from. Been up there for years.