Attention OHSAA, make the right call to move HSFB to April 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveDawg

The Bulldog
The NFL players who opted out are gone, the college football season is about to go dark and the OHSAA wants to piecemeal the schedules of remaining participants with a 'make it up by the seat of your pants' tournament that is all about the money and not safety to the families, students and schools themselves. If the season is not moved to spring with an April, May, June calendar by midnight tonight, there will be lawyers lining up to play for this fall and we know how that will turn out. Helmets are worn for protection, how can you protect students and their families against what you can not see?
Move it or lose it, time for a uniform decision...
Turn out the lights OHSAA - it's a global pandemic.

I'm not anti spring football in the least. I would prefer that to no season, but here's the key issue.

You talk about safety of the players now, and that's legit (despite what some will say. They aren't worth the time and won't listen to the argument anyway). But answer this: how is it at all safe to play into June and then come right back to practice for 2021 in August? Where's the safety in that? You're basically asking kids to play 20 violent games (potentially up to 31 if a team wins state both seasons!) in about 7 months. That's incredibly short sighted.

What about seniors going off to college? We all know if NCAA plays in the spring, no likely draft picks will play and risk injury. Would you be ok if your school had a stud senior sit out so he could get ready for fall college camp?

Everyone's worried about missing this year and not playing for 2 years.....why is it ok to tell baseball or track kids, many of which at small schools alsovplay football, that they don't get a season for THREE CALENDAR YEARS. They already lost 2020. This would mean most lose 2021. So for some schools no games from 2019 until 2022. But that's fine because it's "just" baseball?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Spring football can work....but only if EVERYONE switches and only if seasons are changed. If it's just a 1 year thing and then bsck to fall, just cancel the season.

High School football is not college football nor is it professional football. Sharing kids with other sports gives us one shot. Kids are excited about having and season a playoffs. PLAY NOW!!!!
Btw, Urban Meyer thinks spring football is a horrible idea with the thought that you’d follow that up with a 2021 season.

The NFL players who opted out are gone, the college football season is about to go dark and the OHSAA wants to piecemeal the schedules of remaining participants with a 'make it up by the seat of your pants' tournament that is all about the money and not safety to the families, students and schools themselves. If the season is not moved to spring with an April, May, June calendar by midnight tonight, there will be lawyers lining up to play for this fall and we know how that will turn out. Helmets are worn for protection, how can you protect students and their families against what you can not see?
Is this a joke? What you should be mad about is the overreaction that led to taking games away, not the season being played.

Helmets are worn for protection...and kids still get concussions. Life isnt without risk.

How can you protect families from what you cannot see...Personal hygiene? Wear a mask if you want or stay home.

We will never have another season if this is your attitude. The flu kills large numbers of people every year...in fact it is more dangerous to the school age population. How can you justify potentially infecting someone?

The virus will still be around in the spring even if there is a vaccine...so then what?

I'm not anti spring football in the least. I would prefer that to no season, but here's the key issue.

You talk about safety of the players now, and that's legit (despite what some will say. They aren't worth the time and won't listen to the argument anyway). But answer this: how is it at all safe to play into June and then come right back to practice for 2021 in August? Where's the safety in that? You're basically asking kids to play 20 violent games (potentially up to 31 if a team wins state both seasons!) in about 7 months. That's incredibly short sighted.

What about seniors going off to college? We all know if NCAA plays in the spring, no likely draft picks will play and risk injury. Would you be ok if your school had a stud senior sit out so he could get ready for fall college camp?

Everyone's worried about missing this year and not playing for 2 years.....why is it ok to tell baseball or track kids, many of which at small schools alsovplay football, that they don't get a season for THREE CALENDAR YEARS. They already lost 2020. This would mean most lose 2021. So for some schools no games from 2019 until 2022. But that's fine because it's "just" baseball?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Spring football can work....but only if EVERYONE switches and only if seasons are changed. If it's just a 1 year thing and then bsck to fall, just cancel the season.
Most baseball players have had a summer season which is often more important to their college future if they are interested in pursuing that . Ditto softball . There is no AAU football . Football players have already missed college camps and portions of their normal weight training regimen fir a time in spring . There isn’t a club season like there is in other sports

I have believed and still maintain the belief that there will not be HS football this season. I don't like it, I hate it. Keeping sports in perspective, we should not play. Also against spring football and could care less about the OHSAA. If they go bankrupt, so be it, people go bankrupt every day. A new and maybe better organization will replace it with hopefully more realistic spending habits.

Yes. Spring is a magical time of the year where coronavirus will magically disappear

We come to yappi cause we are vested in sports and football. I want us to play somehow someway. With that said, dont kid yourself, if power 5 or big 10 shuts it down, high school does to, simple as that. We have too many betas, need alphas, in positions of power. decisions are group think and watered down. 20 years ago people screaming for a stoppage would be outcasts, now it is the other way around. looks at nearly all collegiate presidents and the boards behind them. Look at what happened to Urban. That's why I have no faith we will play too many village idiots in charge.

Yes. Spring is a magical time of the year where coronavirus will magically disappear

So you don’t believe in vaccines? We will have a vaccine by January 1st, and kids will be required to have it for school and sports. But then, here we go again because people will refuse to take it and the conspiracies around it will be enormous.

So you don’t believe in vaccines? We will have a vaccine by January 1st, and kids will be required to have it for school and sports. But then, here we go again because people will refuse to take it and the conspiracies around it will be enormous.
I always love it when I see someone use the word "conspiracies" or "conspiracy theorist". You immediately know that person is an indoctrinated clown. So, in a sense, the word is like an indoctrinated clown detector.

I wonder why people have issues with vaccines? Note, I got all of mine, and all of my kids got theirs. But here is a little pwespective in light of your claim that everyone will be forced to get one. Swine Flu Vaccine 1976

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/long-shadow-1976-swine-flu-vaccine-fiasco-180961994/

January 1? You know this how?

There is a 0% chance of either of those 2 things happening.

As far as Dewine and the ODH goes, I actually have felt Ohio State played a major role in them allowing contact sports. My question is if the B1G cancels or postpones, is how much that hurts the chances of Dewine and the ODH of allowing contact sports this fall? Maybe they had a way to do it separately at the college level vs. the high school level, but I felt like those two were intertwined. If the B1G makes a move on their own that affects Ohio State, it could make it easier for Dewine to push the fall seasons off.

This is why the Amish do not get Covid 19...they don't have TV's.

Correct, the Amish just say they have CS...Common Sense!!

I have kids coming up through right now and there is no way I will allow them to get a Covid vaccine, to many people are making this into a bigger issue than it is. I understand people are dying from it, but I refuse to live my life in fear! The flu and swine flu killed more people, funny how we never shut down for that outbreak.

Most baseball players have had a summer season which is often more important to their college future if they are interested in pursuing that . Ditto softball . There is no AAU football . Football players have already missed college camps and portions of their normal weight training regimen fir a time in spring . There isn’t a club season like there is in other sports

There are many, many baseball and softball players, especially at smaller schools who don't play travel/summer ball. And even with that, representing your school, playing ball with your high school teammates, the kids you grow up with is very important to a lot of those who do play travel/summer ball. My daughter got to play a pretty normal summer schedule this year, she will be going on to play in college, and she was still heartbroken over losing her summer season. Moving football to spring and disrupting spring sports once again is just robbing Peter to pay Paul.

From the CDC - through the end of July the average number of deaths in the United states per day was 7434 in 2020. In 2017, there was more than 7700 deaths per day in the United States. We're canceling everything due to this death rate!

1. You have no idea if that is true. That's almost as silly as Trump claiming it was just going to disappear.

2. They have never been able to develop an effective vaccine for any other known coronavirus. What makes this one any different? They have already found multiple mutations in Covid-19. It will continue to mutate, even if they come up with a vaccine it will never be 100% effective.

3. Let's say by some miracle they do come up with a vaccine by January 1. How long to you think it will take to manufacture 380 million vaccines and widely distribute them to the entire population. I'm not the smartest guy in the room, but if I were a betting man I would say it would be well after April 1, 2021 in time for spring football.

Bottom line, if we can't play ball now it won't be any safer to play in the spring.

From the CDC - through the end of July the average number of deaths in the United states per day was 7434 in 2020. In 2017, there was more than 7700 deaths per day in the United States. We're canceling everything due to this death rate!
How is this possible?
With Covid we should be ahead of schedule.....

This question makes me think that those urging a spring season don't have the kids safety in mind. I would be very reluctant to let my sophomore or junior son play a full season of football in Match/April/May then turn around and play another season starting two months later in August.

The wear & tear on young bodies represents a much greater threat to the kids health then the covid does.

Status
Not open for further replies.