Ask the Ref?

This is in reference to an NCAA D3 game, but I figured this was the best place to ask:
Team A has the ball on their end of the floor. Team A's coach says something to get a technical. Team B shot two free throws but Team A retained possession.

Is this handleddifferent in college than in high school? I always thought a technical was two shots and possession.

Under NCAA rules, play resumes after this type of technical foul at the point of interruption. The point of interruption here is A is in possession of the ball, therefore A gets the ball for a throw in at the spot nearest to where the ball was when play was stopped for the technical. (there are some exceptions to this both under NCAA-M and NCAA-W)

Under NFHS rules, part of the penalty for a technical foul is awarding the opponent the ball for a designated spot throw in at the division line opposite the scorer's table after the two free throws are attempted.

Is there any such rule that doesn't allow a High School Basketball player to also play JO Volleyball during the season. As girls basketball draws to an end
JO Volleyball starts normally the last week of Jan. or first week of Feb.

Clearly you school ball comes number one before pay to play travel ball .

Thanks In Advance

I hope you understand, but that will not be addressed here.

Please refer your questions to your school's Athletic Director. Player eligibility is a serious matter and only those charged with the responsibility of overseeing this should be involved.

Anyone providing advice on this subject will have their post deleted. Let the people responsible for player eligibility handle this.

Thank You.....

AS12

Out of Bounds Violation

When there is a loose ball by the sideline and one player goes out of bounds trying to get to the ball.Even if they do not touch the ball. Is this a violation? Looking up 9-3-3 but not sure . Thanks!

When there is a loose ball by the sideline and one player goes out of bounds trying to get to the ball.Even if they do not touch the ball. Is this a violation? Looking up 9-3-3 but not sure . Thanks!

Players are legally out of bounds all throughout the game.

9-3-3 refers to leaving the playing court for an unauthorized reason. Examples of this are...

1) Leaving the court to avoid a 3 second violation
2) Running out of bounds to avoid a screen
3) running out of bounds in order to have a defender run into a screen
4) running out of bounds in order to stop action (take away an advantage by the opponent)

In the play you describe, unless the player took a path that gave him an advantage over his opponent or allowed him to reach the ball before it went out of bounds, this is nothing.

Team A scores a 2 point layup while their team has 6 players on the court. No one notices until play is stopped by the refs. Refs give a 2 shot technical to team B. Team A's points stay on the board. Refs reasoning is 'we gave team B 2 shots'. Correct call?

I don't think the basket is a correctable error... or whatever the term is. In other words, I don't think they can set everything back to the way it was before the 6 kids on the court thing started. I could be wrong tho :)

I don't think the basket is a correctable error... or whatever the term is. In other words, I don't think they can set everything back to the way it was before the 6 kids on the court thing started. I could be wrong tho :)

I'm trying to find the final exact score. If I'm correct, Team A won by two......a JV game. Oh boy.....but rules are rules. And thank you for your input. when I get a chance, I'm going to try and see the specific rules.

Hope all is well.

Last edited:
Team A scores a 2 point layup while their team has 6 players on the court. No one notices until play is stopped by the refs. Refs give a 2 shot technical to team B. Team A's points stay on the board. Refs reasoning is 'we gave team B 2 shots'. Correct call?

Rule 10-2-2

Correct call, provided the technical foul was charged to the team and not to an individual player or the Head Coach.

All activity that occurred including time consumed, points scored, fouls committed...etc.... are unchanged.

Rule 10-2-2

Correct call, provided the technical foul was charged to the team and not to an individual player or the Head Coach.

All activity that occurred including time consumed, points scored, fouls committed...etc.... are unchanged.

Well, if it's any consolation, it occurred last night in a JV game. And that team won by 2 points. Thank goodness it wasn't a varsity game.

Thanks for your input.

I am always amazed how fast officials and coaches notice an extra player on a football field, making 23 instead of 22....how in the world did no one notice a team having 6 players until a play took place to completion? And I don't mean officials, opposing coach, players, etc....

I am always amazed how fast officials and coaches notice an extra player on a football field, making 23 instead of 22....how in the world did no one notice a team having 6 players until a play took place to completion? And I don't mean officials, opposing coach, players, etc....

Because they are human and made a mistake...... (and it happens in every sport)

CoachHoversten, if you have a beef with an officiating crew, please open a separate thread in this forum and discuss it there. This thread is for questions regarding questions about rules and mechanics only.

Thanks for understanding....

Last edited:
Are fans not allowed to criticize officials anymore? Attended Lakota West/Mason girls game last night. Do officials have the power to remove anyone for saying anything negative?

Are fans not allowed to criticize officials anymore? Attended Lakota West/Mason girls game last night. Do officials have the power to remove anyone for saying anything negative?

You can certainly criticize, (why someone would go to a HS sporting event and yell at officials remains a mystery to me) but there is a line that can't be crossed and officiating crews have the authority to direct game management to remove unruly fans.

With regards to the game you describe, unless you can provide video and/or audio of what exactly was said and all the other details surrounding the criticism, we aren't going to discuss the details here.

You are free to open a separate thread in this forum and discuss it there.... I'm sure you'll get the answer you are looking for from some of the others.

So officials, the UCONN/ Baylor game the other night, the last second shot attempt by the Baylor player, was it a foul or not? Is there "verticality" in high school basketball?

So officials, the UCONN/ Baylor game the other night, the last second shot attempt by the Baylor player, was it a foul or not?
Yep.... a miss by the crew. The defender moved forward into the airborne shooter.

Is there "verticality" in high school basketball?
Yes

Rule 4-23 - GUARDING

ART. 3
. . . After the initial legal guarding position is obtained:
a. The guard may have one or both feet on the playing court or be airborne, provided he/she has inbound status.
b. The guard is not required to continue facing the opponent.
c. The guard may move laterally or obliquely to maintain position, - provided it is not toward the opponent when contact occurs.
d. The guard may raise hands or jump within his/her own vertical plane.
e. The guard may turn

So officials, the UCONN/ Baylor game the other night, the last second shot attempt by the Baylor player, was it a foul or not? Is there "verticality" in high school basketball?
Foul or no foul it's getting to the point that the announcers of these games seem to think they're the only ones that are capable of determining if a foul should be called or not. I've already lost a lot of interest because of all the video replays. Throw in the announcers and it's becoming more and more difficult to watch these games.

Foul or no foul it's getting to the point that the announcers of these games seem to think they're the only ones that are capable of determining if a foul should be called or not. I've already lost a lot of interest because of all the video replays. Throw in the announcers and it's becoming more and more difficult to watch these games.
Amen......

Yep.... a miss by the crew. The defender moved forward into the airborne shooter.

Yes

Rule 4-23 - GUARDING

ART. 3
a. The guard may have one or both feet on the playing court or be airborne, provided he/she has inbound status.
c. The guard may move laterally or obliquely to maintain position, - provided it is not toward the opponent when contact occurs.
e. The guard may turn
I agree, while the players feel they may had been vertical, a photo of the play clearly shows their arms were not vertical but at probably a 30-45 degree angle into the shooter. The difficult thing for officials is that offensive players go into the defender, trying to draw contact.

Basketball is becoming incredibly difficult to officiate because of the physical contact that's allowed to go on. There is this give and take all game along about what is permissable and what is not. I certainly do not envy officials jobs. I'd like the announcers to put more of a larger view on games. The girl in question from Baylor the other night was 7-22 from the field. And while the one call may have been missed, I always say that's why there is 40 mintutes, in games. There were dozens of ways Baylor could have won that game.

Yes

Rule 4-23 - GUARDING

ART. 3
e. The guard may turn
something I've always been curious about. Defender has established a legal guarding position - prepared to take the charge. At the last second - she realizes she is about to take a serious hit, she turns her body, leans away, and with one foot steps backwards away from the offense. Offense initiates the contact.

Foul on offense, or defense? is stepping away considered 'obliquely'?

Why is it a technical foul in girls basketball to grab rim during warm ups?
It's against the rules to grasp the rim anytime, unless it is done to prevent injury. There are no rule distinctions between boys and girls games.

The reasons why the rules makers don't want people grabbing or hanging on the rims.........

1) safety reasons
2) potential damage to the backboards

Last edited:
something I've always been curious about. Defender has established a legal guarding position - prepared to take the charge. At the last second - she realizes she is about to take a serious hit, she turns her body, leans away, and with one foot steps backwards away from the offense. Offense initiates the contact.

Foul on offense, or defense? is stepping away considered 'obliquely'?
A player, after obtaining legal guarding position, is permitted by rule to turn or duck to absorb the shock of the imminent contact.

As long as the movement is not towards the opponent, (after LGP is obtained) that movement is legal.

I was watching a game last night the other team while we were shooting free throws was stomping there feet on the bleachers. I know fans can do this but can the others teams bench do this

"Ladies, you can't do that when they have the ball for a FT"........ Usually does the trick.

If it doesn't, the coach gets told....... If that doesn't get it to stop, award a substitute FT for a missed one while it was happening......

To be honest, this should be a rare occurrence and one that the officials will only see in the first half. We aren't looking back down the floor at the bench during FTs in the second half of basketball games. Our focus in what's happening at the free throw lane.