Ask the Ref?

This may have been answered before. A shot is taken, but fails to touch backboard, basket, even the net. Whoever catches it, do they get credit for a rebound?
I'd have to defer to the official scorers on here.

I would think so, but it's not something we discuss in training sessions.

I can actually answer this one. The simple answer is YES. Though the ball touched nothing, it is still considered a shot attempt which leads to a rebound.

A1 has the ball, is being guarded by B1, B1 knocks the ball away from A1 and it is rolling toward the division line. A1 runs, picks the ball up and drops it again in the front court. A1s momentum then carries them into the backcourt. A1 then re-enters the front court with 2 feet, picks the ball up and begins a dribble.

Is this a no call, play on situation. Or is this double dribble? Can a player voluntarily or intentionally lose possession?

would make sense, since it's legal to catch your own try that does not touch the rim.
Yep, and if I recall there was a one pager about common rules misunderstood in basketball I read that had that rule as like #3 or something behind there not being a foul called over the back and no three seconds during shot in flight.

A1 has the ball, is being guarded by B1, B1 knocks the ball away from A1 and it is rolling toward the division line. A1 runs, picks the ball up and drops it again in the front court. A1s momentum then carries them into the backcourt. A1 then re-enters the front court with 2 feet, picks the ball up and begins a dribble.

Is this a no call, play on situation. Or is this double dribble? Can a player voluntarily or intentionally lose possession?
Need some more information....

Did he possess the basketball and fumble it or did he drop it purposely?

Team A to inbound and ahead by 2 with 13 seconds left in the game. Team B with only 2 team fouls. In order to save time can Team B foul the inbound passer before he makes the inbound pass?
( I asked the ref in a YMCA game years ago if it would be a technical and he said “depends on how hard you hit him”.)

Team A to inbound and ahead by 2 with 13 seconds left in the game. Team B with only 2 team fouls. In order to save time can Team B foul the inbound passer before he makes the inbound pass?
( I asked the ref in a YMCA game years ago if it would be a technical and he said “depends on how hard you hit him”.)
A defender reaching through the throw-in plane and contacting the ball is a technical foul.

A defender reaching through the throw-in plane and fouling the thrower is an intentional foul. The thrower is awarded two free throws with no players positioned along the free throw lane. Play resumes with a throw in by the team that was fouled at the same spot where the foul occurred.

Need some more information....

Did he possess the basketball and fumble it or did he drop it purposely?
This was an intentional drop of the ball. There was no way to stop their momentum from carrying the player into the back court - so they picked up the loose ball, dropped it intentionally in the frontcourt so that the ball would not continue rolling into the backcourt.

JV game. Team A is shooting free throws. Ref hands ball to shooter and backs away. Shooter begins dribbling. Player from Team B walks from outside 3 point line and into the lane and lines up. Ref takes ball away from shooter, lets everyone get set and hands shooter the ball again. Should this have been a lane violation?

This was an intentional drop of the ball. There was no way to stop their momentum from carrying the player into the back court - so they picked up the loose ball, dropped it intentionally in the frontcourt so that the ball would not continue rolling into the backcourt.
The intentional drop of the ball becomes the start of a dribble. After the player has re-established himself in the front court (something touching in the front court, nothing touching the back court) He can do one of two things legally..... assuming nobody has touched the ball after the drop....

- He can pick the ball up. This constitutes the end of the dribble. He may now, pass or shoot. If he bjegoins another dribble, he has violated the dribble rule.

- He can immediately bat or push the ball again to the floor, resuming the dribbled that started with the drop.

JV game. Team A is shooting free throws. Ref hands ball to shooter and backs away. Shooter begins dribbling. Player from Team B walks from outside 3 point line and into the lane and lines up. Ref takes ball away from shooter, lets everyone get set and hands shooter the ball again. Should this have been a lane violation?
Yes, it's a violation.....

Let me ask this.... was the FT successful?

The intentional drop of the ball becomes the start of a dribble. After the player has re-established himself in the front court (something touching in the front court, nothing touching the back court) He can do one of two things legally..... assuming nobody has touched the ball after the drop....

- He can pick the ball up. This constitutes the end of the dribble. He may now, pass or shoot. If he bjegoins another dribble, he has violated the dribble rule.

- He can immediately bat or push the ball again to the floor, resuming the dribbled that started with the drop.
So if you deem that the player intentionally did this, it is not a loss of possession?

Over and back rule:
Offense has it in their zone. Does the ball need to physically cross the midcourt line for an over and back to be called (presuming a player was last established on the other side of the line).

Had some epic JV refs the other day who called 5 total fouls in the first three qtrs, while botching a lot of basic calls. No one cared really, as it was a laugher, but it got increasingly physical because nothing was getting called. But anyways.....

Over and back rule:
Offense has it in their zone. Does the ball need to physically cross the midcourt line for an over and back to be called (presuming a player was last established on the other side of the line).
It must touch either the floor in the back court or a player who is touching the back court.... (touching the back court must be followed by the a player from the offense to be the first to touch it)

Two players battle for a loose ball and they scuffle a little. Player A is called for a foul and both players are assessed technicals for the scuffle. Player A’s foul was Team A’s 6th foul of the half, and his technical was the 7th. No free throws were awarded, and Team B was given the ball. Was this correct?

Two players battle for a loose ball and they scuffle a little. Player A is called for a foul and both players are assessed technicals for the scuffle. Player A’s foul was Team A’s 6th foul of the half, and his technical was the 7th. No free throws were awarded, and Team B was given the ball. Was this correct?
Provided the technical fouls were issued simultaneously (or nearly simultaneously)..... Yes, the situation was handled correctly.

A1 is shooting the first of two FT's. B1 is behind the 3 point line and behind the imaginary free throw line extended. B1 does not cross either line during the first FT attempt. Referee called a violation on B1. Referee said that B1 can not be in front of the top of the three-point line. Is this the correct call?

A1 is shooting the first of two FT's. B1 is behind the 3 point line and behind the imaginary free throw line extended. B1 does not cross either line during the first FT attempt. Referee called a violation on B1. Referee said that B1 can not be in front of the top of the three-point line. Is this the correct call?
No

Would this have been a correctable error?

Referee was asked by the coach to confer with other referee about the rule and refused to do so.

Hopefully the coach reached out the the assigner and reported the actions of the official.

In this situation, at what point does it become an uncorrectable error vs an opportunity for the officials to confer and get the correct call made?

Could the coach had called a time out before the 2nd free throw was tried and discussed with the 2nd referee to see if he agreed with the ruling and perhaps get the correct call made?

In this situation, at what point does it become an uncorrectable error vs an opportunity for the officials to confer and get the correct call made?
Officials may correct an error if a rule is inadvertently set aside and results in only one of the following five circumstances....

- Failure to award a merited free throw
- Awarding an unmerited free throw
- Permitting a wrong player to attempt a free throw
- Attempting a free throw at the wrong basket
- Erroneously counting or canceling a score

As you can see, this situation does not fall under any of the 5 listed above.
Could the coach had called a time out before the 2nd free throw was tried and discussed with the 2nd referee to see if he agreed with the ruling and perhaps get the correct call made?
Yes.

A head coach can request an official's time out for a Coach/Referee conference if he/she feels that a rule has been misapplied. If the ruling is not changed because the coach was incorrect in his assessment of the rule or the officials (for some odd reason) do not change their ruling, then a time-out will be charged to the team requesting this conference.

If after this the officials refuse to budge, then the only alternative is for the coach to put it behind him and continue to coach the game. They should then contact the assigner of officials for that contest with all the details of what happened so the corrections can be made with the officiating crew.

This may be an odd question, but I’m gonna ask it any because I heard fans yelling for this at a game this week. Is there a rule that prohibits cheerleaders from crossing half court while doing backflips during a timeout? And if so can a technical foul be assessed to the team who cheerleader crossed half court? I’ve never seen anything like this called before but I heard fans yelling for it to be called.

This may be an odd question, but I’m gonna ask it any because I heard fans yelling for this at a game this week. Is there a rule that prohibits cheerleaders from crossing half court while doing backflips during a timeout? And if so can a technical foul be assessed to the team who cheerleader crossed half court? I’ve never seen anything like this called before but I heard fans yelling for it to be called.
NFHS Basketball Rules dictate that "no on court entertainment should occur" during a 30 second time out. However, there is no penalty associated with this rule. No official worth their salt would even consider assessing a technical foul here.

If it occurs, it's simply a "don't do that". If it happens again, we get game management involved. It it keeps happening, have game management remove them from the court.

Actually saw this in a college game but wondered what the rule was in high school.
A missed free throw is battled over, hit hard by a player, hits the floor, bounces high and into the basket. It was legal in the college game. Is it legal in high school? And can a player launch a full court shot and have it bounce into the basket and count? If it's shot from full court, bounces and goes in, is a 3 pointer?