Ask The Ref?

We had one of those in 2019. Tried twice to get him to change his choice. Made sure the nonspeaking captains understood and appealed to them. When we explained to the coach all he asked was, "What did the knuckle-head say?"
"We want to defend the scoreboard," every time we asked.
Wow. Somewhere, Abner Haynes ("We'll kick to the clock") is chuckling.

Except we have been specifically directed not to do that. Whenever a coach starts to tell me his choice I say "Make sure your captain knows" like I'm supposed to.

Yep, and even if a coach designates a captain to make penalty decisions, we are still looking at the coach, especially when it comes to enforcements that are unusual. It's silly to put that on a kid.

We walk kids out of the game that are pushing the limits with regards to unsporting behavior.... Why, one asks....? It's because we don't want them to mess up and penalize their team when maybe, just maybe we can prevent it. This is no different.

I'll argue this point (and have with many powers that be) with anyone and anywhere..... but not on here....

I've (we've) handled the coin toss like this for decades....... Never had a coach complain that we corrected a kid's mistake that would have hurt his team or benefitted his team.

When playoffs begin do the crews that will officiate the finals also have games? I guess what I mean is do the crews go by the wayside the same as the teams?

When playoffs begin do the crews that will officiate the finals also have games? I guess what I mean is do the crews go by the wayside the same as the teams?

In a normal year, crews are notified early to mid-season of their complete playoff assignment(s)

Finals Crews work all 5 weeks
Crews that work thru the Semi Finals work the first 4 weeks
Crews that work thru the Regional Finals work the first 3 weeks
Crews that work thru the Regional Semi-Finals work the first 2 weeks
Crews that only are assigned a Regional Quarter-Final work only the first week

Thanks. I figured something like that. Another question, you don't have to answer if you prefer not to, are the crews "seeded" in the same manner as the teams?

Thanks. I figured something like that. Another question, you don't have to answer if you prefer not to, are the crews "seeded" in the same manner as the teams?

There's a convoluted rating system in place that puts officials in place to receive tournament assignments. When it's all said and done, the powers that be in Columbus have the final say of who works when, where, and how many. The rating system is not the end all be all determining factor of playoff assignments in any sport.

Were all the games this weekend 6 man? Every crew I know of had 6.
I know that last year semi-finals and finals had 6-man crews, and that those crews worked together throughout the playoffs. Consequently every week there were some games with 6-man crews.

Maybe they expanded it this year.

All linemen are set. All players are shown in the position they have when the ball is snapped. Is this a legal formation? Right tackle seems to be too far back.
ff_line5.JPG

The Right Guard is as well....

Rule 2-32-9 . . . A lineman is any A player who is facing his opponent’s goal line with the line of his shoulders approximately parallel thereto and with his head or foot breaking an imaginary plane drawn parallel to the line of scrimmage through the waist of the snapper when the ball is snapped.

There are less than 5 on the line on more than 4 in the backfield.

The Right Guard is as well....

Rule 2-32-9 . . . A lineman is any A player who is facing his opponent’s goal line with the line of his shoulders approximately parallel thereto and with his head or foot breaking an imaginary plane drawn parallel to the line of scrimmage through the waist of the snapper when the ball is snapped.

There are less than 5 on the line on more than 4 in the backfield.
What is the wording of the rule that determines max/min on the line and in the backfield? This was changed for 2019, correct?

What is the wording of the rule that determines max/min on the line and in the backfield? This was changed for 2019, correct?

Rule 2-14 - Formations

ART 1.....
A scrimmage formation requires a minimum of five A players legally on their line and no more than four players behind their line at the snap

Are officiating crews rotated? Example - crew A had Avon v Avon Lake last week. Will they see Avon again or will they be sent to another region? In other words, can the same crew officiate the same team two weeks in a row? Thanks

Are officiating crews rotated? Example - crew A had Avon v Avon Lake last week. Will they see Avon again or will they be sent to another region? In other words, can the same crew officiate the same team two weeks in a row? Thanks

Crews can see the same team multiple times throughout the playoffs. I've never seen more than twice. I think the OHSAA does try to avoid this when possible. I know of a couple crews this year who have seen or will see the same team twice.

Crews can see the same team multiple times throughout the playoffs. I've never seen more than twice. I think the OHSAA does try to avoid this when possible. I know of a couple crews this year who have seen or will see the same team twice.

This year.... anything goes.... Crews not traveling, Regular season crews being used, More games......

Previous years, it would be a rare occasion that a crew saw a team twice..... The times that it happened were usually related to a logistical matter.

Watching the replay of an out of state high school game and the thought occurred to me, when I saw this running back with a full head of hair flowing out behind his helmet, is there a penalty if the ball carrier is tackled by pulling him down by his hair? Seems that would closely approximate a Horse collar.

Watching the replay of an out of state high school game and the thought occurred to me, when I saw this running back with a full head of hair flowing out behind his helmet, is there a penalty if the ball carrier is tackled by pulling him down by his hair? Seems that would closely approximate a Horse collar.
No.

The NFHS has not deemed this to be an illegal act because the player has the option to....
1) Choose not to have long hair.
2) Tuck or otherwise secure said long hair safely inside the jersey

The player does not have the option to not participate with a jersey or shoulder pads.

Since it's legal to grab the jersey at the top of the numbers and very possible to have long hair extending to or past the top of the numbers, this places the opponent at a disadvantage. (grabbing the same place on different players and have one result in a foul)

Offense driving with the ball at the end of the half/game. No time outs left and clock is winding down. Offensive player is tackled in bounds and the offensive team tries to line up quickly to spike the ball and stop the clock. They snap the ball with 1 second but they have an illegal formation/motion. The penalty is called and the clock stops at 1 second. Do they get another play or should there be a run off?