Ask The Ref?

A punt is a scrimmage kick. It can be kick catch interference but only if there's a receiver that is in position to catch the ball. AS12 can give you the official wording.

K may catch, touch, muff or bat a scrimmage kick in flight beyond the neutral zone if no player of R is in position to catch the ball.

K can never touch, muff, or bat a free kick in flight inside an area in or beyond the neutral zone to the receiver's goal line unless K is blocked into the ball (or receiver if in the area) or when warding off a blocker.

Who determines the number of officials for the playoffs for weeks 11 thru 13?

A week ago we hosted a regional semi-final that used 6 officials. Yesterday we hosted a regional final that used 5 officials. Seemed kind of strange to use 6, then 5, instead of the other way around.

A week ago we hosted a regional semi-final that used 6 officials. Yesterday we hosted a regional final that used 5 officials. Seemed kind of strange to use 6, then 5, instead of the other way around.

The football regulations call for 20 crews that have 6 officials. Those crews are assigned based on rankings/ratings and other criteria ultimately determined by the OHSAA

Intentional short kick on the kickoff. Ball goes high in the air and is recovered by the kicking team 20yds down field. The return team doesn't have a player near the ball, but a flag is thrown for interference. There was no obvious fair catch sign made. Just curious on the explanation.
To add...

Do you remember the national championship game a few years ago where Saban called an onside kick and it changed the course of the game?

That would not be legal in HS under the rule AS12 cited.

There was a 15yd penalty issued on the kickoff.
The kicking team kicks the ball out of bounds, so does the return team get the ball from the 35 or the 20 because of the 15yd infraction?

There was a 15yd penalty issued on the kickoff.
The kicking team kicks the ball out of bounds, so does the return team get the ball from the 35 or the 20 because of the 15yd infraction?

Need some more information....

Who committed the foul that resulted in a 15yd penalty and when did it happen?

The return team, which was the defenders who caused the penalty on the extra point, got penalized 15yds on the ensuing kick off.

The return team, which was the defenders who caused the penalty on the extra point, got penalized 15yds on the ensuing kick off.

The ball will be placed 25 yards in advance of the kickoff spot. So if the KO was from the 45yd line the ball will be placed at the 20yl or 5 yard penalty and re-kick. Depending on where it went out of bounds there could also be a five yard penalty enforced from the OOB spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Receiving Team will be given 4 options.....

- Be awarded the ball at a spot 25yds from the kicking line.
- Be awarded the ball at a spot 5 yards in advance on the spot where it went out of bounds untouched.
- Assess a 5yd penalty to the kicking team and re-kick the ball.
- Decline the penalty and be awarded the ball out of bounds at the sport where it went out untouched.

The order of which these options are presented should be based upon what the most advantageous outcome will be for the offended team to the least advantageous.

Free Kick

Watched the Pick v Davidson game last weekend, last two minutes onside kick - sure looked like the kicking team was blocking the receiving team prior to the ball going 10 yards - isn't that a NFHS rule these days?

Watched the Pick v Davidson game last weekend, last two minutes onside kick - sure looked like the kicking team was blocking the receiving team prior to the ball going 10 yards - isn't that a NFHS rule these days?

No member of the kicking team shall initiate contact to (block) an opponent on a free kick until:

a. The legal kick has traveled 10 yards;

b. The kicking team is eligible to recover a free-kicked ball; or

c. The receiving team initiates a block within the neutral zone.

The penalty for violation of this rule (if accepted) is a 10yd assessment from the previous spot and a replay of the down

Once a crew is assigned for post season, they will typically work together as a crew through however many games their 'Crew #' was assigned for the post-season.
So if in the 1st round you had a crew of 6, that crew would be working (this years playoffs) a minimum of 3 games for post-season.
You most likely seen a crew in the earlier round that will be working deeper in the playoffs, then the crew you had the following week...

This year OHSAA extended out the number of playoff crews working 6 man mechanics to 20 crews. I believe they would like to continue to increase that number, but # of officials, and # of officials who work and understand the 6 man mechanics is still limited.
During regular season, some leagues and 'highlight' games are utilizing 6 man crews.

There is a total of 112 crews that work the playoffs.
Crews 57-112 work a 1st round game only
Crews 29-56 work 2 rounds
Crews 15-28 work 3 rounds (crew #'s 15-20 have 6 officials)
Crews 8-14 work 4 rounds (State Semi-finals - all have 6 officials)
Crews 1-7 are State Final crews (all 6 man crews)

Question: Can a flag be thrown for Defensive Holding and the offense later in the play be called for Offensive pass interference? The Game had a situation like that but it was only called on the defense.

The OSU guy did hold him but when the ball got there the WR held his arm so he couldn't catch it.

Question: Can a flag be thrown for Defensive Holding and the offense later in the play be called for Offensive pass interference? The Game had a situation like that but it was only called on the defense.

The OSU guy did hold him but when the ball got there the WR held his arm so he couldn't catch it.

Absolutely !

When this occurs you have offsetting penalties and a replay of the down.

What actually is involved in calling a 'pick' play by the offense as offensive interference?

More and more this rule has vanished at almost every level of football

What actually is involved in calling a 'pick' play by the offense as offensive interference?

More and more this rule has vanished at almost every level of football

We have to determine whether or not the offensive player's movement interfered or impeded the defender's ability to move towards, bat, or catch a legal forward pass thrown beyond the line of scrimmage.

Easier to describe than to judge while the play is live.....

When OSU botched the kickoff catch against TTUN, if an OSU player had batted the ball out of bounds what would have been the penalty (if any) and what would it have been under NFHS rules?

When OSU botched the kickoff catch against TTUN, if an OSU player had batted the ball out of bounds what would have been the penalty (if any) and what would it have been under NFHS rules?
Batting by definition is an intentional act.

If this occurred, it would be a foul for illegal batting under NFHS rules.

K could accept the result of the play (R's ball where it was batted out of bounds) or accept a 15-yard penalty and re-kick.

What is the rule on a Qb throwing a pass beyond the line of scrimmage? Does his whole body have to be passed the line?

Both feet must be in or behind the neutral zone when the ball is released. If one or both feet are beyond, it would be a foul.

Yes, the college rule is different.

I’m under the impression that hurdling a defender as a runner is illegal in high school football.

I’ve seen it happen multiple times, including today’s Division III title game, and never called.

Is it illegal?

If it is illegal, why is it never or rarely flagged? Lack of knowledge? Not wanting to toss the flag on what is usually a “WOW” play?

I’m under the impression that hurdling a defender as a runner is illegal in high school football.

I’ve seen it happen multiple times, including today’s Division III title game, and never called.

Is it illegal?

If it is illegal, why is it never or rarely flagged? Lack of knowledge? Not wanting to toss the flag on what is usually a “WOW” play?
“Hurdling is an attempt by a player to jump (hurdle) with one or both feet or knees foremost over an opponent who is contacting the ground with no part of his body except one or both feet.”

This is the NFHS definition of hurdling, and it is a foul. If it’s not being called I can guarantee you it’s not because the officials don’t want to negate an exciting play. Officials that officiate like that won’t be around very long.

Most of what we refer to as "hurdling" involves the defender having a knee or hand or something on the ground other than just his feet.

Watching the replay of the OSU-Northwestern game where the Northwestern receiver fumbled after being stripped, and the fumble was overturned - I believe the replay official ruled the receiver's shin above the ankle was down before he lost the ball, even though his knee never touched the ground.

Is this the same for NFHS? For years I've had the idea that ground contact had to be with the knee joint on up (or the elbow joint on up) that determined if a runner was down, but it wouldn't be the first time my bubble's been busted. Thanks in advance.

Watching the replay of the OSU-Northwestern game where the Northwestern receiver fumbled after being stripped, and the fumble was overturned - I believe the replay official ruled the receiver's shin above the ankle was down before he lost the ball, even though his knee never touched the ground.

Is this the same for NFHS? For years I've had the idea that ground contact had to be with the knee joint on up (or the elbow joint on up) that determined if a runner was down, but it wouldn't be the first time my bubble's been busted. Thanks in advance.
Yes. The ball is dead when any part of the runner's body other than the hand or foot touches the ground.

However, in the case you mention, it's very likely that the only way to catch the shin being down first is with instant replay. So in a high school game the ruling on the field likely would have been the same, and obviously wouldn't be overturned since we don't have replay.

A friendly reminder to fans and officials posting on this thread......

Fans >> This is for serious questions pertaining to rules and mechanics only. If you want to complain about a specific call in a game, then open a separate thread and have at it.

Officials >> I have three rules about officials posting responses to questions...

1) They must be correct
2) There will be no arguing with a fan on here. If you are going to post, act as if you are on the field. Ignore the noise and stick to answering the questions. (I'll weed out the "noise")
3) If a question has been answered, do not answer the question again.

Posts by anyone that are outside the guidelines will be deleted.

Thanks AS12

Last edited: