Ashtabula County schools discuss 2020 County-only schedules

While Ashtabula County doesn't/shouldn't speak for the rest of the state, this is a very important snowball to watch. Nobody wants to be the first to close, but certainly nobody wants to be the last. So once the snowball starts rolling, no telling where it can go.

As much as this might project a negative view of HS football and sports happening, Ashtabula County is trying to make sports happen. But they just want it in their conditions. This is a precedent that will make HS football very difficult to schedule. The CVC, which has four Ashtabula schools, is certainly in a tough spot if all of the Ashtabula stays in house for the fall. However, Geneva and Lakeside (two CVC schools) don't seem to be involved in this discussion yet.

While Ashtabula County doesn't/shouldn't speak for the rest of the state, this is a very important snowball to watch. Nobody wants to be the first to close, but certainly nobody wants to be the last. So once the snowball starts rolling, no telling where it can go.

As much as this might project a negative view of HS football and sports happening, Ashtabula County is trying to make sports happen. But they just want it in their conditions. This is a precedent that will make HS football very difficult to schedule. The CVC, which has four Ashtabula schools, is certainly in a tough spot if all of the Ashtabula stays in house for the fall. However, Geneva and Lakeside (two CVC schools) don't seem to be involved in this discussion yet.

They are likely referring to the Ohio Public Health Advisory System, which currently lists Ashtabula and Geauga Counties at level 1 (the lowest active exposure and spread). While Lake County is currently at level 2 and Cuyahoga County is level 3.

Struthers plays lakeside and jefferson “who is in the NE8” I don’t understand this nonsense at all, it’s people trying to cover their own self so it doesn’t come back on them

CVC not in that much of a bind. They could easily consolidate from a three division conference into a two for the year. Really not that hard to figure out. One eight team division and one seven team division. Problem solved

What gets me is the county boundary thing. How does an imaginary line prevent the spread of the virus? In Ashtabula County Isn't Conneaut closer to Pennsylvania than Grand Valley? They play in a PA league don't they? I live in Warren County about 150 yards from Butler County. I work in Warren County but about half of my co-workers are from Butler County. Plus, when they first announced "hot spots" Butler and Warren County were highlighted just because of a couple zip codes that bordered Hamilton County

What gets me is the county boundary thing. How does an imaginary line prevent the spread of the virus? In Ashtabula County Isn't Conneaut closer to Pennsylvania than Grand Valley? They play in a PA league don't they? I live in Warren County about 150 yards from Butler County. I work in Warren County but about half of my co-workers are from Butler County. Plus, when they first announced "hot spots" Butler and Warren County were highlighted just because of a couple zip codes that bordered Hamilton County
Agreed completely.

CVC not in that much of a bind. They could easily consolidate from a three division conference into a two for the year. Really not that hard to figure out. One eight team division and one seven team division. Problem solved

Yeah, they could just retool the entire conference for one season. There are 21 teams in the CVC. If the four Ashtabula schools (Geneva, Lakeside, Edgewood, Grand Valley) sit it out, there are 16 remaining (no Richmond Hts football). Could divide up 8 and 8, but there would be a LOT of divided opinions on who is in the big school and who is not. Should Kirtland move up now? Beachwood and Hawken would fight tooth and nail to stay out of that top division. Maybe Kirtland moves up and bails one of them out, but not both. Harvey is moving to the lower division in 2021, but given the choice they would love to jump down now.

West G, Orange, Beachwood, Hawken, Chagrin Falls, Wickliffe, Perry, Harvey
Berkshire, Cardinal, Cuyahoga Heights, Independence, Brooklyn, Trinity, Lutheran West, Kirtland

Yeah, they could just retool the entire conference for one season. There are 21 teams in the CVC. If the four Ashtabula schools (Geneva, Lakeside, Edgewood, Grand Valley) sit it out, there are 16 remaining (no Richmond Hts football). Could divide up 8 and 8, but there would be a LOT of divided opinions on who is in the big school and who is not. Should Kirtland move up now? Beachwood and Hawken would fight tooth and nail to stay out of that top division. Maybe Kirtland moves up and bails one of them out, but not both. Harvey is moving to the lower division in 2021, but given the choice they would love to jump down now.

West G, Orange, Beachwood, Hawken, Chagrin Falls, Wickliffe, Perry, Harvey
Berkshire, Cardinal, Cuyahoga Heights, Independence, Brooklyn, Trinity, Lutheran West, Kirtland
Isn't Mantua Crestwood joining the CVCthis fall?? They have withdrawn from the Portage trail county division and were accepted into the CVC I believe in the spring.

Isn't Mantua Crestwood joining the CVCthis fall?? They have withdrawn from the Portage trail county division and were accepted into the CVC I believe in the spring.

You’re right, they slipped my mind. They replaced Fairport, who left for another league. So if there were no Ashtabula teams (which as of today is a moot point), there are 17 football playing members remaining.

You’re right, they slipped my mind. They replaced Fairport, who left for another league. So if there were no Ashtabula teams (which as of today is a moot point), there are 17 football playing members remaining.
And I believe Fairport Harding went to the NAC and replaced Grand Valley maybe. Dumb move again by Crestwood. Giving up long time league rivalries for more travel, less rivals which means small revenue. Especially now!

Not an issue anymore. All four CVC schools reaffirmed commitment to league this year. Nobody is leaving.
I think it was more or less just clarified that the Ashtabula County schools were developing a "plan B" in case the CVC began cancelling the season. Ashtabula County is not currently a hot spot for COVID-19 like other counties throughout the Cleveland area.

I think it was more or less just clarified that the Ashtabula County schools were developing a "plan B" in case the CVC began cancelling the season. Ashtabula County is not currently a hot spot for COVID-19 like other counties throughout the Cleveland area.
Nope that is false. That is not what they were up to.

Okay so now the pieces are coming into view for you. Did you happen to notice which two schools were quoted in this story? Besides being Ashtabula County schools, what do these two have in common? Think about their status in their current leagues. Think think think, why would they be the only two quoted in this story. Is it becoming clear yet?

Okay so now the pieces are coming into view for you. Did you happen to notice which two schools were quoted in this story? Besides being Ashtabula County schools, what do these two have in common? Think about their status in their current leagues. Think think think, why would they be the only two quoted in this story. Is it becoming clear yet?
Too much high school drama I would ever want to stretch my adult mind for. I'll leave it at the statement the article closed on...

“These are all hypotheticals,” Butchko said. “These are all leaving us at the mercy of the state, national and OHSAA governing bodies, but while that gap exists, I think we at least need to look into that gap.”