Ash vs Maple bats

Which is better?

• Maple

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Ash

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
Which are better? people were said flexibility and that ash bats flake on the barrel i don't really know that much or understand can others elaborate on the pros and cons of each?

This is what I have heard from a guy who actually makes bats in his garage. An ash bat will be more like one of the two piece composite bats with a little more whip. A maple bat will act more like a one piece and be a little more rigid.

This probably does not hold true for everyone, but if buying one for a Wood Bat tournament - Ash for contact hitters. Maple for power hitters. That is just a generalization.

I would suggest trying both. You will need to go to tournament with at least 2 wooden sticks anyhow. My son prefers maple. Claims it has more pop.

If you're going to buy a wood bat, just spend more on the first one....or you'll end up buying 3. My son went thru wood bats like candy....then finally talked me into a Marucci Pro model....not cheap $120-ish....but it lasted ALOT longer than the $50-60 bats....untill he let a friend use it....then, as always happens, it broke on the first swing :) Man, am I glad those days are gone

I've had the opposite approach in my lifetime to what people are saying on here.

First off: Maple is 100% more durable than ash and will last longer, no matter how much you pay for the bat.

Second: I've used $100 wood bats and $40 wood bats and have had more success with the $40 ones I got online. Just because a bat costs more, doesn't necessarily mean it's better quality and will last longer. One year I bought 2 $80 bats and broke both of them, was super pi$$ed so I bought 2-$45 bats online and the first one last me 3 years.

If you're going to buy a wood bat, just spend more on the first one....or you'll end up buying 3. My son went thru wood bats like candy....then finally talked me into a Marucci Pro model....not cheap $120-ish....but it lasted ALOT longer than the $50-60 bats....untill he let a friend use it....then, as always happens, it broke on the first swing :) Man, am I glad those days are gone

My son's Marucci snapped in his first wood bat tourney. Bought the cheaps after that. Some lasted and some didn't but I wasn't upset when they snapped. Try bamboo. Harder than Maple.

My son's Marucci snapped in his first wood bat tourney. Bought the cheaps after that. Some lasted and some didn't but I wasn't upset when they snapped. Try bamboo. Harder than Maple.

Bamboo are super strong. Some leagues don't allow them though so I would make sure it's ok

If your player is young (12/13) or younger I would struggle justifying paying the extra dollars for maple. Once they reach HS, I would swing whichever "swings" similar to their BBCOR.
Going to a national or local sporting good store and spending $100+ on a wood bat is crazy. There are a ton of company's manufacturing high quality wood bats if you search a little. Several HS players I know swing Dinger and a few swing Viper. Both seem to hold up and respond well and don't cost nearly as much.

Hard to find Hickory bats. Wasn't Hickory the most common wooden bat at one time?

Ash. It was typically ash, before major leaguers went to maple for it's hardness. This was when broken bats became far more common.

Hickory has most commonly been used for tool handles. Hickory baseball bats are fairly new. Not sure why. You see birch now as well.

Bamboo are super strong. Some leagues don't allow them though so I would make sure it's ok

All bamboo bats are laminations. Any properly made laminated bat - whether bamboo, maple, ash, or a combination of ash inside and maple outside - is stronger because the grain in each section glued together is oriented in different directions.

Some tournaments specify that only bats turned on a lathe from a single piece of wood may be used.