Artis offered by Kent?

bdip35

When i was up at the high school on sunday i got a chance to talk to Coach Sarver. And we were talking about the upcoming season. And then we got into talking about the players he has coming back, he said losing 11 seniors shouldn't hurt them at all. He said Andrew Myers should control the outfield and be 1 of his pitchers. Then i asked him how Zack Artis was doing, he said that zack is probably the best pitching prospect he has had at Ellet. He added that he has received countless e-mails and phone calls from college coaches about artis. Then he told me that artis was offered by Kent during the early-signing period. He also added that akron and pitt offered him. When i asked him if there was any other schools he said that he has been contacted by purdue, evansville, cincinnatti, elon, UNC-Ashville, and michigan state. He also said that Andrew Myers took a visit to the university of bluffton and they said that if everything goes well then myers is on the team. I think the ellet program will have to depend on myers and artis. the 2 most talented pitchers in the city. and maybe the 2 best arms in the area. I think the ellet baseball team will do just fine with losing 11 seniors. i would also like to name a couple other key players that should help them this year, cory campano= 4 year starting catcher. russel kline, cody martin, i also think that david smethers could play a huge role in the outfield he will most likey play right field.

Good for Artis if true, Kent has quite a program.

Ellet will be Ellet. They'll roll through the city then get bounced early come tournament time.

Baseball is different. Not to many full rides out there.

DI scholarships are limited.

11.5 per team that has 35 on the roster.

KSU is about $11, 000 plus room and board

So let's say he gets 25-35% scholarship. That's about $2,750 - $3,850.

This is why grades are so important with baseball. You'll get some money for grades and ACT scores. Maybe another $3,500 - $5,000 per year.

Good deal for this young man. Kent has a very solid baseball program, and they are beginning to build a very solid athletic program all around.

That is the way many high schoolers are. He obviously has had a lot of success firing the ball from the mound in little league and in high school without a whole lot of instruction and technical training, so let him get to college and I am certain that Kent will get the maturity out of him. Good Luck to the kid.

DI schools aren't looking for someone they have to wait to mature as a person. They want kids that are very coachable and mentally mature now. There are a ton of kids that fit the coachable and mentally mature mold. They don't have time to hold kid's hands.

If he has a 15 yr old head, then he needs to change that now. He also has to make sure that he's making the grades.

when i talked to sarver up at the high school on sunday he said that artis was thinking about akron because it would be easier for him to get into then kent would be because artis's academics are not so good, sarver said he holds a 2.4 GPA. he also said that artis is being recruited by junior college powerhouse sinclair community college in dayton. i can see him pitching there for 2 years to get his grades and his head straight then going on to pitch for a div-1 program as in kent or akron. but only time will tell what happens

Sinclair a powerhouse?

Between 2008 - 2011, they only had 7 players move on to DI schools.

Should have been working on the grades since 9th grade.

Looks like some people know people.

Remember, a lot of people on Yappi know the coaches at these schools.

And now that KSU has made it to the "show", they are going to start going after the big named pitchers from around the country, just not locally.

physically i think artis could play at kent and other big time schools. he throws anywhere from 86-89 mph with a sharp breaking curveball, he has decent control and he can even reach 90mph every now and then and hes coachable. but i dont think he has the brain nor is he mature enough to play div-1 baseball.

How's the baseball team looking this year?

Number of players look good?

Is everyone going to be eligible by the time the season starts? The reason I ask is because every year, someone doesn't keep up with their grades and they are sitting in the dugout instead of playing on the field.

Last edited:
How's the baseball team looking this year?

Number of players look good?

Is everyone going to be able eligible by the time the season starts? The reason I ask is because every year, someone doesn't keep up with their grades and they are sitting in the dugout instead of playing on the field.

Is this just an Ellet issue that you notice or is this other schools too?

I don't really know if we have any or not, I've heard rumblings about one or two underclassman. Our upperclassman usually have high GPA's (3.5 or higher) and this year isn't any different.

Tallmadge Numbers:

Looks like we have 16 on our Varsity Roster and 14 on our JV roster, no Freshman team this year.

Last edited:
I dont think baseball is a priority to the coach. If it was, they would spend money raised on renting out an adequate facility

I'l have to disagree with you there. Sarver is a baseball guy.

he is a "baseball guy" but why does he not think it is important to get game like practices in? Kind of hard to get ready for a season in a basketball gym.

Also, why do the freshman only play about 4 games each year. Never make up weather postponed games?

he is a "baseball guy" but why does he not think it is important to get game like practices in? Kind of hard to get ready for a season in a basketball gym.

Also, why do the freshman only play about 4 games each year. Never make up weather postponed games?

I don't know for sure, but I'm sure it's a matter of funds. And I agree with you, they should fundraise so they can pay for out of town trips and pay for things like indoor facilities when the weather is crappy.

As for the freshman games, nobody really makes them up. If the games get cancelled, they usually will move some of the kids up to JV to get their games in. It's all about getting the Varsity games in and that's it.

I don't know for sure, but I'm sure it's a matter of funds. And I agree with you, they should fundraise so they can pay for out of town trips and pay for things like indoor facilities when the weather is crappy.

As for the freshman games, nobody really makes them up. If the games get cancelled, they usually will move some of the kids up to JV to get their games in. It's all about getting the Varsity games in and that's it.

fund raisers are easy...

makes sense...