Arnold Classic without spectators...

MPhillips

And so it begins...The Arnold Classic is closing down to 'most' of the public. Is The State Tournament now in jeopardy...

Last edited:

It was on every news station with a live press conference at 6pm...Governor and the Mayor. Look it up. No fear mongering here boys. I was a bit surprised.

And so it begins...The Arnold Classic is closing down to 'most' of the public. Is The State Tournament now in jeopardy...
The Arnold has people from all over the country and even international coming in. I understand why they would shut it down.

The state tournament is 99% Ohioans, and no cases in Ohio yet, so doubt they cancel any OHSAA events.

The Arnold has people from all over the country and even international coming in. I understand why they would shut it down.
The state tournament is 99% Ohioans, and no cases in Ohio yet, so doubt they cancel any OHSAA events.
I understand that as well. It has athletes from all over the world. But it shows that the City of Columbus isn't afraid to sacrifice a huge, HUGE money maker just to be on the safe side...I find that a bit telling.

As of right now, the classic competition is still going on, they are just closing it to spectators. Their Mind Pump event/seminar connected with the Arnold sold out and hasn't been canceled.....yet! I have friends with tickets and they said as of now, it's still on.

The Arnold competition makes a whole lot of sense because of where people are coming from. I'd guess 99.9% of the participants and fans for the state wrestling will be driving to Columbus. The bigger threat for Americans is the international business travel. And I say threat in that it's always a threat as the normal everyday flu has been more devastating than this virus so far.

As of right now, the classic competition is still going on, they are just closing it to spectators. Their Mind Pump event/seminar connected with the Arnold sold out and hasn't been canceled.....yet! I have friends with tickets and they said as of now, it's still on.
As posted above.
At the, 'presser' it was stated that spectators would be allowed in for the body building final...

The Arnold competition makes a whole lot of sense because of where people are coming from. I'd guess 99.9% of the participants and fans for the state wrestling will be driving to Columbus. The bigger threat for Americans is the international business travel. And I say threat in that it's always a threat as the normal everyday flu has been more devastating than this virus so far.
The problem is COVID-19 has shown the ability to spread as easily, if not more, than the common flu. With a mortality rate 20 times higher than the common flu there is potential for disaster. There is a reason they are giving this virus so much attention and exhaustive efforts are being made to contain it. China could care less about their people. They value their economy way more than their citizens. They completely shut down large areas of their country. They understand the seriousness of this virus and what it’s potential could be. The Spanish Flu wasn’t that long ago. Their transmission and mortality rate are very similar. The Spanish Flu infected 1/3 of the world population and killed 25-39 million people. If this virus infected 1/3 of our world population and has a mortality rate around 2%, that would be 2.6 billion people infected and 52.1 million deaths. Obviously our ability to contain viruses are better than they were in 1918, but so is our ability to travel and spread them. It’s the potential worst case scenerio that has everyone worried. Comparing this virus to the common flu is apples to oranges.
By no means do I think the sky is falling and everyone should run to their fallout shelters. But everyone should be aware of the numbers and difference between the two viruses. Wash your hands and practice good hygiene. If you’re sick stay home. Cough and sneeze into your arm or tissue. We’ll get through this lol

Last edited:
The problem is COVID-19 has shown the ability to spread as easily, if not more, than the common flu. With a mortality rate 20 times higher than the common flu there is potential for disaster. There is a reason they are giving this virus so much attention and exhaustive efforts are being made to contain it. China could care less about their people. They value their economy way more than their citizens. They completely shut down large areas of their country. They understand the seriousness of this virus and what it’s potential could be. The Spanish Flu wasn’t that long ago. Their transmission and mortality rate are very similar. The Spanish Flu infected 1/3 of the world population and killed 25-39 million people. If this virus infected 1/3 of our world population and has a mortality rate around 2%, that would be 2.6 billion people infected and 52.1 million deaths. Obviously our ability to contain viruses are better than they were in 1918, but so is our ability to travel and spread them. It’s the potential worst case scenerio that has everyone worried. Comparing this virus to the common flu is apples to oranges.
By no means do I think the sky is falling and everyone should run to their fallout shelters. But everyone should be aware of the numbers and difference between the two viruses. Wash your hands and practice good hygiene. If your sick stay home. Cough and sneeze into your arm or tissue. We’ll get through this lol
I'm certainly not disputing what you are saying, but I've not seen any statistics like this regarding the corona virus. With any pandemic, there is going to need to be precautions taken. Now your last two sentences is the same advice we get every single season, so you are comparing the two, apples to apples. I guess like most things, we'll see.

I'm certainly not disputing what you are saying, but I've not seen any statistics like this regarding the corona virus. With any pandemic, there is going to need to be precautions taken. Now your last two sentences is the same advice we get every single season, so you are comparing the two, apples to apples. I guess like most things, we'll see.
Precautionary measures are definitely apples to apples. The two viruses are not. Those are the numbers at the current time. Each person with COVID-19 infects 2.2 people (reproduction rate) and the virus has a 2% mortality rate vs 1.3 reproduction rate and 0.1% mortality rate for the common flu. Obviously, we are in the early stages and they are still gathering data and crunching numbers. They are sure to change. There is nothing wrong with being prepared, taking precautions. It doesn’t mean you have to fear it but respect it. They are taking these precautions for all the people of the world. For you and me. We take precautions with many things in our day to day life. We have insurance for our home, automobiles, life, business, etc. If the forecast is rain you might grab an umbrella. If you live in northeast Ohio maybe you throw snow tires on the family sleigh. There is nothing wrong with taking precautions and being prepared for the “what if’s” in life

Last edited:
Precautionary measures are definitely apples to apples. The two viruses are not. Those are the numbers at the current time. Each person with COVID-19 infects 2.2 people (reproduction rate) and the virus has a 2% mortality rate vs 1.3 reproduction rate and .01% mortality rate for the common flu. Obviously, we are in the early stages and they are still gathering data and crunching numbers. They are sure to change. There is nothing wrong with being prepared, taking precautions. It doesn’t mean you have to fear it but respect it. They are taking these precautions for all the people of the world. For you and me. We take precautions with many things in our day to day life. We have insurance for our home, automobiles, life, business, etc. If the forecast is rain you might grab an umbrella. If you live in northeast Ohio maybe you throw snow tires on the family sleigh. There is nothing wrong with taking precautions and being prepared for the “what if’s” in life
You obviously know your stuff, we'll wash our hands often and wait and see how this comes out!!

Precautionary measures are definitely apples to apples. The two viruses are not. Those are the numbers at the current time. Each person with COVID-19 infects 2.2 people (reproduction rate) and the virus has a 2% mortality rate vs 1.3 reproduction rate and .01% mortality rate for the common flu.
Good postings GWF. The sky isn't falling but to remain ignorant to it's potential is silly. The latest COVID-19 mortality rate has jumped to 3.4% compared to .1% for the common flu.

Reactions: GWF
Good postings GWF. The sky isn't falling but to remain ignorant to it's potential is silly. The latest COVID-19 mortality rate has jumped to 3.4% compared to .1% for the common flu.
Thanks for the update. Not the direction we want that to go. And I had my decimal point in the wrong spot for the flu mortality rate. Thanks for correcting that!

Arnold called and said, "I will NOT be back."

(Yes I used the same, 'joke' in two threads. I thought it was pretty funny.)

• Haha
Reactions: GWF

Wasn't there the case in Oxford? Or did that turn out to be nothing?

Last edited: