Army Combat Fitness Test (ACFT)

eastside_purple

Not sure how many people have seen the new Army fitness test to be implemented next year. Some of these I could do with ease with my current training, others, like the medicine ball toss and the knee tuck, I’ve never tried and would likely not do well at first.

Anyway, this looks like a vast improvement over the current test.

Army senior leaders have approved a new strenuous fitness test designed to better prepare Soldiers for combat tasks, reduce injuries and lead to ample cost savings across the service.

The six-event readiness assessment, called the Army Combat Fitness Test, is intended to replace the current three-event Army Physical Fitness Test, which has been around since 1980.

Beginning October 2020, all Soldiers will be required to take the new gender- and age-neutral test. Before that, field testing set to begin this October will allow the Army to refine the test, with initial plans for up to 40,000 Soldiers from all three components to see it.

Last edited:

No more sit ups, I never could max those anyway. Overall I think I would have done better on this new version.

If you can't low crawl 1/4 mile you're not trying
If you can't deadman ( fireman) carry your partner w/ full pack 100 yards at a run nobody want you on their team
I remember standing in the mid day heat with my M14 over my head for 30 minutes and guys where dropping to the ground.
1969 Army Basic and AIT was pretty physical training but being a high school athlete did help a great dead. Many time the physical training was just pushed to the maxs for punishment.

I know a best unit had 6 of 50 people pass a couple of weekends ago.

Likely a better test of a soldiers abilities, but my biggest issue with it is the resources needed for the SM to be able to train for these and be successful.
As it currently stands, you can be the poorest person, live out in the sticks with no sort of gym access, and still be able to rock the test.
It remains to be seen if this starts when they say in Oct of 2020.

I can only imagine places like AIrborne school where 400 plus people have to go through this extended test. WHo knows.

If you can't low crawl 1/4 mile you're not trying
If you can't deadman ( fireman) carry your partner w/ full pack 100 yards at a run nobody want you on their team
I remember standing in the mid day heat with my M14 over my head for 30 minutes and guys where dropping to the ground.
1969 Army Basic and AIT was pretty physical training but being a high school athlete did help a great dead. Many time the physical training was just pushed to the maxs for punishment.
I too took the phyical training test in 1969. In fact, my unit was the last to go through basic at Ft. Ord carrying the M-14, and we carried it at port arms everywhere. What I notice about the current PT test was that the trainees wore running shoes when doing their mile. We had to do it our combat boots, whcih easily added 30-60 seconds to your time.

I too took the phyical training test in 1969. In fact, my unit was the last to go through basic at Ft. Ord carrying the M-14, and we carried it at port arms everywhere. What I notice about the current PT test was that the trainees wore running shoes when doing their mile. We had to do it our combat boots, whcih easily added 30-60 seconds to your time.

Everything was in combat boots .... Fort Campbell ... Fort Polk

You won't need to take one again until oct 2020? Must be nice. I still don't know if that start time will actually haooen
Just took my last APFT last week. Now on to spending the next working on being able to do the knee tuck!

Yeah, I mean AR 350-1 says one every six months, so I would, but I might just take one next August so I don't go over the 12 month mark.