Are your school's outdoor facilities open for use?

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Seems to be some confusion over Dr. Acton's order. Has anyone been in contact with a local school system and found out if they are opening their outdoor facilities for baseball/softball?

Seems to be some confusion over Dr. Acton's order. Has anyone been in contact with a local school system and found out if they are opening their outdoor facilities for baseball/softball?

Sort of. Will not name the School or Superintendent though. Was told by that Superintendent that they are in communication with State,Local Officials behind the scenes about Opening up Baseball/Softball Fields at this particular school. Nothing has come from those discussions yet though.

The no contact period ties to the stay-at-home order, or whatever the pravda group at our state government rebranded it to being.
No contact period will be lifted on May 26th, per the Ohsaa email sent out to adminstrators about an hour and a half ago.

I have to think the state saw the ramifications of what transpired in Wisconsin and tried to keep their hands on the wheel to some respect.

No contact period will be lifted on May 26th, per the Ohsaa email sent out to adminstrators about an hour and a half ago.

But nobody knows what ending the No Contact period actually means. I have seen some local leagues decide not to have their leagues this year based on the regulations placed on face masks. Their reasoning is they can not afford them. Now is this a way to grow public support or at least donations to provide them...who knows?

But nobody knows what ending the No Contact period actually means. I have seen some local leagues decide not to have their leagues this year based on the regulations placed on face masks. Their reasoning is they can not afford them. Now is this a way to grow public support or at least donations to provide them...who knows?

All it means is that HS Coaches are permitted to work with their players. If they can find a field that allows it, they can practice, play games, etc but it won't be sanctioned by the OHSAA. It's up to the HS coaches if they want to take advantage of it.

OHSAA sent an email this afternoon, basically stating that it was up to our local department of health and then school board to determine if we can open our outdoor facilities.

The schools in our league would like to all do this at once so there is some unity. No one wants to be the first school to do this, but as a group, it is much easier to move forward with this.

Nobody wants to be the one to make the decisions. What happens when a league spans several counties and just one doesn't agree to open?

If 7-12 yr olds play in municipal/county parks and they have been open during most of this crisis why would they need the health department to okay play on the fields? One of our local little leagues owns their own facility and I don't believe anything beside the order that is to be lifted on May 26 can prevent them from playing. One of our local private high schools plays in a city park as well and they have authority on use of the field. I personally have heard of numerous teams getting together to practice over the past 3 weeks or so. Now I have no idea to what extent practices were conducted.
If the kids' parents are okay with it I guess I don't see the harm.

If 7-12 yr olds play in municipal/county parks and they have been open during most of this crisis why would they need the health department to okay play on the fields? One of our local little leagues owns their own facility and I don't believe anything beside the order that is to be lifted on May 26 can prevent them from playing. One of our local private high schools plays in a city park as well and they have authority on use of the field. I personally have heard of numerous teams getting together to practice over the past 3 weeks or so. Now I have no idea to what extent practices were conducted.
If the kids' parents are okay with it I guess I don't see the harm.

Well it isn't as much playing in the park...all equipment supposed to be closed. It's the playing together with others and crowd issues.

This thread is here because of the confusion around exactly what the order from Acton (ODH) actually says about outdoor facilities on school property.

If the field space is not on a school property, there is nothing in the government orders prohibiting that space from being open. Though the preclusion against gatherings of greater than 10 people would restrict activity.

Not one member from the OHSAA or a member school was included on DeWine's Sports Advisory Group.

One would think that because of the heavy use of facilities, someone would say, "hey, what about the schools?"

1589842124788.png

What a strange grouping of organizations. Somehow missed the largest athletic governing body in the state in terms of participants.

Not one member from the OHSAA or a member school was included on DeWine's Sports Advisory Group.

One would think that because of the heavy use of facilities, someone would say, "hey, what about the schools?"

View attachment 7255
Youth baseball and softball is HUGE money in the summer. A lot of folks are doing and saying what ever they need to appease the Supreme Leader and Dr. Doom.
OHSAA bagged everything for the spring so aren't on the hook untill football season.

$$ is the driving force for June and July, hence why all the jockeying from those groups.

Youth baseball and softball is HUGE money in the summer. A lot of folks are doing and saying what ever they need to appease the Supreme Leader and Dr. Doom.
OHSAA bagged everything for the spring so aren't on the hook untill football season.

$$ is the driving force for June and July, hence why all the jockeying from those groups.

Which is also the argument, those groups came up with regulations they could make work for their own organizations. Without everyone else's say

I believe it has been turned over to the local boards based on what the Lt. Governor said last week. What I really hope is not happening is that the OHSAA is trying to hide behind the state board when the city field already have been cleared for May 26 in a way to screw up the club teams. That would be over-reaching their authority.

I believe it has been turned over to the local boards based on what the Lt. Governor said last week. What I really hope is not happening is that the OHSAA is trying to hide behind the state board when the city field already have been cleared for May 26 in a way to screw up the club teams. That would be over-reaching their authority.

Here's the biggest problem with this whole thing. There's no communication. Nobody knows who's in charge. If aThings got further confused today when the courts ruled gyms could open but every single republican seat voted against limiting her power to order quarantines. I'd love to see the copy of the memo giving County Health Boards the authority to make that decision. Should be open record but don't want to search

Here's the biggest problem with this whole thing. There's no communication. Nobody knows who's in charge. If aThings got further confused today when the courts ruled gyms could open but every single republican seat voted against limiting her power to order quarantines. I'd love to see the copy of the memo giving County Health Boards the authority to make that decision. Should be open record but don't want to search
Clearly, there have been many decisions that have not completely thought through in terms of long term consequence or even coordinated upon execution at all. I remember when the Lt. Governor's face went white after the first week's unemployment numbers came out after the shut down and I though to my self, "how can they surprised at the results and consequences of their chosen courses of action." That all should have been modeled for them before they hit the "emergency stop" button. I think the judge today was upset by the apparent inconsistent application of judgement on what stays closed and what stays open for example: why can a bar be open with limited capacity and mitigation and a gym cannot? In my opinion, all orders should be signed off by Governor. Dr. Acton operates in an advisory role and as such cannot be held accountable by the public for her actions nor should she. She is not elected. On the other hand, in a few years, all Ohio will hold a referendum in the Governor's performance. Understanding that we are treading new ground here, I would say "so far, so good."

If it has, they should tell the AD's. I heard the AD's in the area met and all agreed to wait until the ODH made an announcement that it was ok to open the facilities. Funny though that our school opened the track/football field a couple weeks ago, but not the baseball field.