Are cheerleaders essential to the game?

I don't know about essential, or them being a part of the team, but Cheerleading is a varsity sport and cheering at these contests is a part of their athletic careers.

So yeah, if the boys get to play, why shouldn't the girls get to cheer?
What is the OHSAA official start date for cheerleading? Their defined dead period? Their competitive balance formula? When is their state championship? Sport is defined as an activity of competition. They are NOT competing.

Simple questions
1. - If the Cheer Advisor could not travel due to an illness and the girls had no chaperone would they cancel the basketball game?
2. - If the Basketball Coach was ill and did not have an assistant and they had to cancel the game, would the cheerleaders still travel to the event?

What is the OHSAA official start date for cheerleading? Their defined dead period? Their competitive balance formula? When is their state championship? Sport is defined as an activity of competition. They are NOT competing.
Why does it have to be OHSAA sanctioned to matter?

Heck, I didn't even say they were competing at these athletic contests.

Simple questions
1. - If the Cheer Advisor could not travel due to an illness and the girls had no chaperone would they cancel the basketball game?
2. - If the Basketball Coach was ill and did not have an assistant and they had to cancel the game, would the cheerleaders still travel to the event?
Those aren't the questions that need to be answered at all.

I didn't even say that cheerleaders were essential to the basketball game. I just think that if the boys are allowed to play, the girls should be allowed to cheer.

Why does it have to be OHSAA sanctioned to matter?

Heck, I didn't even say they were competing at these athletic contests.

Those aren't the questions that need to be answered at all.

I didn't even say that cheerleaders were essential to the basketball game. I just think that if the boys are allowed to play, the girls should be allowed to cheer.
It has to be OHSAA sanctioned since we are talking about it being at an OHSAA sanctioned event, a basketball game.

If the goal was to limit people in attendance to reduce the risk of spreading a sickness and only essential personnel would be allowed to enter. They are not essential and should stay home.

The heart of the matter right there. At the bare minimum, you need a dedicated student cheering section willing to partner with the cheerleaders and learn the basic cheers. And the cheering team coach needs to buy in also. If you encourage it, they will come.

Back when dinosaurs walked the earth, we had things called "pep rallies", even on school time. Each new freshman class learned the cheers at these events by following the upper classman. We looked forward to the brief respite, and we participated heartily. We knew that if we didn't, the principal would've stopped having them.
Most schools still have pep rallies...

It has to be OHSAA sanctioned since we are talking about it being at an OHSAA sanctioned event, a basketball game.

If the goal was to limit people in attendance to reduce the risk of spreading a sickness and only essential personnel would be allowed to enter. They are not essential and should stay home.
But it's their event, too. For the seniors, it could be the last time they ever cheer. Try to see it from the perspective of a cheer coach, the cheerleaders, or even the cheer parents who have been coming to games since middle school to watch their kid cheer.

If you don't think it's worth the risk to have cheerleaders there, then the basketball players probably shouldn't be either. Ultimately that's what the state ended up deciding anyways.

I really feel for all the kids right now.

But it's their event, too. For the seniors, it could be the last time they ever cheer. Try to see it from the perspective of a cheer coach, the cheerleaders, or even the cheer parents who have been coming to games since middle school to watch their kid cheer.

If you don't think it's worth the risk to have cheerleaders there, then the basketball players probably shouldn't be either. Ultimately that's what the state ended up deciding anyways.

I really feel for all the kids right now.
This is were I think you are wrong, it is not "their" event. It's a basketball game. It is not more a cheerleader event than it is a clock operators event. Both are there because of the game. One is essential and the other is not. Again this is going back to the original question of being essential.

True, the games were canceled because they were not worth the risk.

Did anyone else say this?

It's like marching band and football. I enjoy a good marching band, but is it essential to the game? Not at all.

The wife of Hobby Lobby's owner said that God told her cheerleaders are essential. End of discussion.;)
But, but my wife said God told her they are not essential, so we have a stalemate. Has anyone ever considered the real reason more religious schools win state titles? Competitive advantage from above.

They are traditional...period. They are at boys basketball games and football games. That's it. Nothing else. No other sports that I am aware of, at least not in our area.

They are traditional...period. They are at boys basketball games and football games. That's it. Nothing else. No other sports that I am aware of, at least not in our area.
Our cheerleaders usually do one or two big Volleyball games and at least one if not both of the girls basketball games against our crosstown rivals. They also went to a few girls tourney games a few years ago. Again not necessarily a "normal" thing but does happen.

Our cheerleaders usually do one or two big Volleyball games and at least one if not both of the girls basketball games against our crosstown rivals. They also went to a few girls tourney games a few years ago. Again not necessarily a "normal" thing but does happen.
Cheerleaders can go anywhere, but that does not make them essential to that contest they are voluntarily attending.

Pretty much the way ours did back in the eighties. When the girls program would get to districts and the number of fans got as large as a boys game the cheerleaders would perform at those games.

I figure cheerleaders are for the fans, not the game. So when we were asking the fans to stay home, why would cheerleaders need or want to perform?

I try to support kids who practice and play or perform - and not clog up the juvenile court.

My daughter played basketball and rolled her eyes at cheerleaders. She pretty much thought they were a bunch of airheads.

When my son was going to play in the final four a while back, the cheerleaders came to the house to decorate his room. One of them said to my daughter, "Some people think we are dumb. Do you think we're dumb?" My daughter giggled and gave her a "Noooo. Of course not." Right answer.

YES

220px-1964-NL-Yearbook.jpg

Never actually saw anything like this happen --- but there is always hope.

:>---

SALT