Archie Miller Out At Indiana

nwwarrior09

An incredibly disappointing end for Archie, who was one of the hottest coaches in the country when IU hired him. Who's next for Indiana?

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...-coach-archie-miller-12-15-season-sources-say

Indiana has fired coach Archie Miller after the Hoosiers went 12-15 this season and missed the NCAA tournament, sources confirmed to ESPN.

The news was first reported by Stadium.

Miller went 67-58 in four seasons and didn't lead the Hoosiers to any NCAA tournament appearances.

He spent six seasons as Dayton's coach before joining Indiana, going 139-63 with four NCAA tournament appearances.

IU basketball = Texas football.

Texas football has had more success in the last 20 yrs but both have spent the last decade trying to get back to corner glory and failing spectacularly. Honestly, no excuse for either to be so mediocre. Both have an abundance of talent in their own state.

Any way, first call IU should make is Chris Beard at Texas Tech. He’s a disciple of Knight, and can flat out coach.

Surprised Archie failed. I really thought he would have success for a long time at IU.

Too bad Kelvin Sampson messed up years ago. He would have kept IU nationally relevant.

Beard would be a good choice. I always liked Marshall, who was fired by Wichita State, but he’s probably toxic right now.

Musselman from Arkansas and Pope from BYU are two I would consider.

Last edited:
I think the hire will be indicative of how relevant IU basketball still is or isn't. I'm sure Matta's name will start getting floated. Even seeing the Brad Stevens rumors starting. Others being mentioned are Tony Bennett, Scott Drew, Beard, as already mentioned, Beilein, and some assistants.

Not necessarily in any specific order, but I think IU has to make Stevens, Beard, and Drew reject this job before really digging in and searching.

If John Beilein still wants to coach, I'm sure he'll be very interested in this job. Depending on how things are looking, that may be their best option if he can convince them he's got 6-7 years in him.

Not necessarily in any specific order, but I think IU has to make Stevens, Beard, and Drew reject this job before really digging in and searching.

If John Beilein still wants to coach, I'm sure he'll be very interested in this job. Depending on how things are looking, that may be their best option if he can convince them he's got 6-7 years in him.

Maybe. A rebuild in college basketball is a hell of a lot easier than in football. If we’re looking at Texas Football, no way a 70 yr old could take on that kind of job. However, in basketball, one stellar recruiting class can win you a title.

The only issue is Beilein was never big on one & dones and usually developed his players. Do IU fans have the patience to go through at least 1, if not 2 more seasons of mediocre basketball?

Maybe. A rebuild in college basketball is a hell of a lot easier than in football. If we’re looking at Texas Football, no way a 70 yr old could take on that kind of job. However, in basketball, one stellar recruiting class can win you a title.

The only issue is Beilein was never big on one & dones and usually developed his players. Do IU fans have the patience to go through at least 1, if not 2 more seasons of mediocre basketball?

It is very different than football. There are a lot of coaches in established situations in college basketball that are in their late 60s or older at this point. I believe Roy Williams is 70, Leonard Hamilton is 72, Coach K is 74, and Boeheim is 76. And that's just within the ACC. I could see Beilein going for at least 6-7 years and possibly up to another 10.

I don't think Indiana is ever going to be able to get one and done type players with consistency. I'd argue anyway that it's getting much more difficult to win with those types of players dominating your roster.

The Brad Stevens talk has to be utter nonsense, right? He is rock solid with the Celtics. Why on earth would he go to Bloomington? Is he an alumnus?

The Brad Stevens talk has to be utter nonsense, right? He is rock solid with the Celtics. Why on earth would he go to Bloomington? Is he an alumnus?
I wouldn’t say he’s exactly on solid ground with the Celtics. I believe IU fans are betting on him getting fired and coming back to the state to take the job. I think it’s a long shot, but stranger things have happened

From a betting odds standpoint, Thad Matta IMO is actually an interesting possibility here. He's technically available, still only 53, and I believe he's currently residing in Indianapolis.

Health issues tanked his program at Ohio State in conjunction with the quality of assistants sliding at the end (Boals leaving was probably Thad's kill shot IMO), but it's always conceivable to get healthier. If he actually had okay health and the desire to hit the sidelines again, this would be somebody you could realistically see as a 10-15 year solution.

It is very different than football. There are a lot of coaches in established situations in college basketball that are in their late 60s or older at this point. I believe Roy Williams is 70, Leonard Hamilton is 72, Coach K is 74, and Boeheim is 76. And that's just within the ACC. I could see Beilein going for at least 6-7 years and possibly up to another 10.

I don't think Indiana is ever going to be able to get one and done type players with consistency. I'd argue anyway that it's getting much more difficult to win with those types of players dominating your roster.
But those guys have been at their schools for 20 yrs+. It’s a lot Difft starting over at that age.

And I think you need a blend of one and dones with upperclassmen. Gonzaga has Timme, Kispert, etc but they wouldn’t be the team to beat without Jalen Scruggs.

Last edited:

I think this is largely fan chatter about long shot best case scenarios, but I think they absolutely have to reach out to him to gauge interest in some capacity. He is from Indy, played D3 college ball in the state and coached at Butler. Prior to leaving Butler for the Celtics, he'd probably lived his entire life in Indiana.

Considering the buyout that Indiana is on the hook for to Archie, I think they have boosters that will pretty much write a blank check if it brings him or any of a few other long shot home run candidates in.

But those guys have been at their schools for 20 yrs+. It’s a lot Difft starting over at that age.

And I think you need a blend of one and dones with upperclassmen. Gonzaga has Timme, Kispert, etc but they wouldn’t be the team to beat without Jalen Scruggs.

This is one of the few guys I could actually see being able to pull it off at an older age. Above all else, Indiana needs somebody to bring credibility and respect back to the program.

Outside of a few good years, IU has been pretty bad pretty consistently for the last 20 years. However, their present situation isn't nearly as bad as what Beilein inherited at Michigan. I think he could have them much improved by the beginning of year 3.

Interesting fact I read about Beilein when he got the Cavs job- he has never been an assistant coach. From his first job as a high school coach up to the Cavs every job has been as a head coach.

I can’t see Holtmann leaving OSU for IU, and I don’t even know Holtmann’s contract status or if IU would even be interested in him. I’m just curious if IU showed any interest in Holtmann before ultimately hiring Archie?

couple transfers and they're back. You're right, much easier in BBall.

I think they should have stuck with Miller. I think Purdue had 9 wins in a row against IU. Actually made me kind of sad when the announcer said that. I'm a traditionalist. I was fine with the home team generally winning that has gone on for years.

Imagine hating a coach so much so that you spend $10M of your own money to get rid of him.

That tells me that this job probably does have a lot of parallels to the Texas football job. Amazing someone splurged that much of their own money on that when a year from now they could have bought Archie out for about $3 million.

That tells me that this job probably does have a lot of parallels to the Texas football job. Amazing someone splurged that much of their own money on that when a year from now they could have bought Archie out for about $3 million.
Basketball is life in Indiana and IU is the heart. It has to be sickening to the loyalists to see IU hoops taking a backseat for so long.

I can’t see Holtmann leaving OSU for IU, and I don’t even know Holtmann’s contract status or if IU would even be interested in him. I’m just curious if IU showed any interest in Holtmann before ultimately hiring Archie?

I'm not sure how interested they were, but looking back at speculation from basketball writers and fansites he was probably one of the most realistic quality candidates at the time along with Archie, Chris Mack, Gregg Marshall and Steve Alford.

I'm not sure how interested they were, but looking back at speculation from basketball writers and fansites he was probably one of the most realistic quality candidates at the time along with Archie, Chris Mack, Gregg Marshall and Steve Alford.
Boy, I’ve liked Marshall since back in his Winthrop days. If he wasn’t so toxic right now, he is a guy who could return IU to prominence.

While in different conferences I’m sure Mark Cuban would love to remove a high quality coach from the NBA.

I'd seriously doubt it, but for a moment I pondered if IU grad and multi-million donor Mark Cuban would try to play that level of 3D chess by offering to pay Archie's buyout.