Anyone else think that MLB should have ended already?

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
I can't believe the playoffs STARTED today.

I'm not a fan of MLB stretching the season so long. Personally, I think the season should end by the first week in October. Stretching it into potential Winter weather never made sense to me. Every extra level of playoffs that was added should have taken away from the regular season schedule, not added to the end of the playoff schedule.

Nobody cares about Baseball in SW Ohio anymore! The Reds stink, the Owners son is top shelf Dbag and the nepotism in the organization is beyond sickening!!

I'm not a fan of MLB stretching the season so long. Personally, I think the season should end by the first week in October. Stretching it into potential Winter weather never made sense to me. Every extra level of playoffs that was added should have taken away from the regular season schedule, not added to the end of the playoff schedule.
The season started late and they added on the cancelled games at the end. Still, the last games of the regular season should end at the tail end of Sept. They probably won’t give up the 162 game schedule, so more scheduled doubleheaders are needed to make it happen. If the players gripe they can always be given the option of the 154 game season with a corresponding loss of salary.

The season started late and they added on the cancelled games at the end. Still, the last games of the regular season should end at the tail end of Sept. They probably won’t give up the 162 game schedule, so more scheduled doubleheaders are needed to make it happen. If the players gripe they can always be given the option of the 154 game season with a corresponding loss of salary.

When the 162 game was first adopted many Sundays were scheduled doubleheaders and of course there were no divisions, only the Al & NL pennant winners playing in the World Series. The season is too long now. I think OHSAA might be running MLB now. :)

Yes. I lose interest once football starts.
Same here. As soon as football starts, I’m watching football on Thursday night, Monday night, and all day Saturday and Sunday. That leaves Tuesday and Wednesday nights for baseball, plus Friday if it fits into any social plans.

I think the regular season should be cut to around 140 games and the regular season should end the Monday after NFL’s first Sunday. That would allow fans to hold an interest in baseball since the playoffs would be starting right then and it wouldn’t be too far along into everyone’s football routine. The World Series would be wrapping up right around now or in the next few days.

I described more in my AEW Random Thoughts thread recently, but 13 or 14 franchises were playing meaningless games for essentially two months or longer. That’s unhealthy for the game (worthless product) and unhealthy for holding fan interest for your sport’s championship tournament.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Amen, and those idiots at MLB will never figure it out. They'd rather have games in the snow when no one gives a ****.

I am always amused when I hear a clip that its the anniversary of a World Series win or great play and MLB is still in the early part of the playoffs.

Just some points of reference:
* "The Catch" where Willie Mays made the famous over the shoulder catch of the Vic Wertz drive happened on September 29th
* Jackie Robinson famous steal of home in the World Series happened on September 28th
* The Yankees won the 1950 World Series on October 7th, the first day of this year's Wild Card Series
* The 1960 World Series (Mazerowski's homer) went 7 games and ended on October 13th
* 1970 World Series ended on October 15th
* 1980 World Series (my Philles finally win one) ended on October 21st
* 1990 World Series ended on October 20th

This year's World Series could end on November 5th!

MLB, NFL and NHL playoffs all go ridiculously long. Football in February, baseball in November and hockey in late June is against all laws of nature.

Oh yes....and the NBA!

Last edited:
I hate to be the one to break the news, but...

As long as all of the regional cable TV networks are paying for 162 days of programming, the season will not be shortened. TV dollars are steering the ship, and the MLB will not fight it.

The big networks happily pay for more playoff games, so that is not going to be reduced either. So viewers can vote with their TV remote controls.

NBA is the worst offender. Nowadays, the regular season stretches six months (mid-October to mid-April) to merely eliminate 10 teams, when just about all 10 of those teams could be identified by New Year’s Day.

Literally 20 of the 30 teams make the playoffs outright or are part of the year-end play-in games, thus rendering the regular season a complete waste of time and money for those stupid enough to bother getting gouged by attending NBA games.

NBA is the worst offender. Nowadays, the regular season stretches six months (mid-October to mid-April) to merely eliminate 10 teams, when just about all 10 of those teams could be identified by New Year’s Day.

Literally 20 of the 30 teams make the playoffs outright or are part of the year-end play-in games, thus rendering the regular season a complete waste of time and money for those stupid enough to bother getting gouged by attending NBA games.

Could not agree more.

The NBA is a joke. I can't believe the prices of lower bowl seats. For a season that will have probably a third of its games be non-competitive. Without entertainment deductions, I have to believe ticket prices would be cut in half. Too often, the product just isn't entertaining for anyone but teenaged boys that can actually appreciate ridiculous video-game style dominance.

Could not agree more.

The NBA is a joke. I can't believe the prices of lower bowl seats. For a season that will have probably a third of its games be non-competitive. Without entertainment deductions, I have to believe ticket prices would be cut in half. Too often, the product just isn't entertaining for anyone but teenaged boys that can actually appreciate ridiculous video-game style dominance.
Not many realize that the May 4th shootings at Kent came from the Friday night Riot Act declaration that shut the bars just as Knicks and Lakers went into overtime in the game 4 finals. There were a handful of sds and other protesters overturning trash cans on Water Street and the mayor way overreacted. Emptying the bars, mixing pissed off people who didn't care with a small group that did.
Rest of that weekend should have never happened.
So in 1970, NBA would be over first week of May.

Last edited:
Not many realize that the May 4th shootings at Kent came from the Friday night Riot Act declaration that shut the bars just as Knicks and Lakers went into overtime in the game 5 finals. There were a handful of sds and other protesters overturning trash cans on Water Street and the mayor way overreacted. Emptying the bars, mixing pissed off people who didn't care with a small group that did.
Rest of that weekend should have never happened.
So in 1970, NBA would be over first week of May.
I did not know that. It would make sense that a few people would be upset over that. Also, I have no doubt that the traveling rabble-rouser first generation antifa types certainly had that as another arrow in the quiver, to augment and amplify common angst, but there was quite a lot also going on that all came to a head

Last edited:

Yappi, I can only guess you are 10-15 years old. Since baseball has gone to more than 4 teams making the playoffs, the "October" Classic has always taken up the entire month, and spilled into November.
The strike did push back the season about 1 week, but this isn't unusual and unless there is a drastic cut to the regular season, I can't see baseball ever being done in early October again.
Playoff baseball is great and I think you'll see the TV ratings prove that out. As big as college football is, it's about 95% one day - Saturday - and the NFL is mostly Sunday. Don't think it's just a coincidence that the game tonight is the Bears/ Commanders - likely a rare NFL dud - right in the middle of the baseball playoffs.

Same here. As soon as football starts, I’m watching football on Thursday night, Monday night, and all day Saturday and Sunday. That leaves Tuesday and Wednesday nights for baseball, plus Friday if it fits into any social plans.

I think the regular season should be cut to around 140 games and the regular season should end the Monday after NFL’s first Sunday. That would allow fans to hold an interest in baseball since the playoffs would be starting right then and it wouldn’t be too far along into everyone’s football routine. The World Series would be wrapping up right around now or in the next few days.

I described more in my AEW Random Thoughts thread recently, but 13 or 14 franchises were playing meaningless games for essentially two months or longer. That’s unhealthy for the game (worthless product) and unhealthy for holding fan interest for your sport’s championship tournament.

That's not ever going to happen. so your tuning into that riveting Bears/ Commanders matchup tonight?? And just think, in another month, about half of the NFL fan bases will stop following their teams.

That's not ever going to happen. so your tuning into that riveting Bears/ Commanders matchup tonight?? And just think, in another month, about half of the NFL fan bases will stop following their teams.
Absolutely I will be watching tonight. So will several million or more other people. I don’t think you understand the NFL or its fans if you think a bunch of people are going to a) stop following their teams next month, or b) skip NFL games to watch a baseball product that is much more based on localized interest than football.

Yappi, I can only guess you are 10-15 years old.
Or I'm old enough to remember when only two teams from each league made the playoffs.

Baseball is fading away and most of it has to do with the changes they are making. Go back to Sunday double-headers and get the season over in early/mid October.

I was a huge baseball fan in the past. Actually sat down and scored games listening to the radio when all the games weren't on TV. Way too many other things to do nowadays and it is hurting baseball to try and compete with the NFL/College football and NBA basketball.

Absolutely I will be watching tonight. So will several million or more other people. I don’t think you understand the NFL or its fans if you think a bunch of people are going to a) stop following their teams next month, or b) skip NFL games to watch a baseball product that is much more based on localized interest than football.

don't have to flip back and forth now, baseball PPD until tomorrow.

Or I'm old enough to remember when only two teams from each league made the playoffs.

Baseball is fading away and most of it has to do with the changes they are making. Go back to Sunday double-headers and get the season over in early/mid October.

I was a huge baseball fan in the past. Actually sat down and scored games listening to the radio when all the games weren't on TV. Way too many other things to do nowadays and it is hurting baseball to try and compete with the NFL/College football and NBA basketball.
The issue is this. The people running baseball (and playing baseball) do not care about the past. Their whole motive is to increase revenue any way possible. Now before TV exploded, you had to go to the games to see them, or listen on the radio, which many of us did. However, now each game, every one of the 162 games is a separate event. Traditional double headers will never come back.
Baseball isn't competing with the other sports, they are only competing with their own.

Baseball isn't competing with the other sports, they are only competing with their own.
You might be able to work for Rob Manfred with this outlook on things. This way of looking at the entertainment industry is a surefire way to lose baseball’s market position.

Can you even begin to explain it?

PS. If Manfred and the MLB are ignorant enough to think the way you do, it explains why baseball is losing. Even if they are only competing with themselves, they are still managing to lose.

Can you even begin to explain it?

PS. If Manfred and the MLB are ignorant enough to think the way you do, it explains why baseball is losing. Even if they are only competing with themselves, they are still managing to lose.
Please define losing?? Baseball franchise values are going up and continue to go up. You are looking at losing in that you are no longer interested. I've pretty much seen full stadiums the last week watching playoff baseball. Do you know what TBS/ ESPN paid baseball for the rights to all these playoff games?? That's not losing. Sure, WE (and I include us) may not like it, but that's the way it's going to be, regardless of how we feel about it.

Just some points of reference:
* "The Catch" where Willie Mays made the famous over the shoulder catch of the Vic Wertz drive happened on September 29th
* Jackie Robinson famous steal of home in the World Series happened on September 28th
* The Yankees won the 1950 World Series on October 7th, the first day of this year's Wild Card Series
* The 1960 World Series (Mazerowski's homer) went 7 games and ended on October 13th
* 1970 World Series ended on October 15th
* 1980 World Series (my Philles finally win one) ended on October 21st
* 1990 World Series ended on October 20th

This year's World Series could end on November 5th!

You do realize the Reds played the Pirates in a best of 7 series for the NL Pennant - they were the only two playoff teams in the NL. Two divisions, the winner of each division made the playoffs. 4 TEAMS made the playoffs in 1990 - 12 teams make the playoffs today. What's the point of reference? The NFL used to have a 14 game season, now there is 17 games.

I'm admittedly in the minority, but I've actually drifted back to baseball in the past 3-4 years. I find as I get older, I enjoy the slower pace of the baseball games (again, I know I'm in the minority here) and I find the nonstop commercials of pro football on any given Sunday to be tiresome. Add to that the frequent stoppages of play to review calls in pro football (was he in bounds? was the QB's arm moving forward?) to be tiresome to the point that I no longer truly enjoy watching pro football as much as in the past.

I still watch college and high school football but don't enjoy the NFL as much and I wonder if I am in the minority. Given the NFL's place in pop culture I have to believe I am, but it's just how I feel these days. Maybe some of it is the Browns and their stupidity but it's something I've noticed the last few years.

Last edited:
You do realize the Reds played the Pirates in a best of 7 series for the NL Pennant - they were the only two playoff teams in the NL. Two divisions, the winner of each division made the playoffs. 4 TEAMS made the playoffs in 1990 - 12 teams make the playoffs today. What's the point of reference? The NFL used to have a 14 game season, now there is 17 games.
Yes I realize there are more playoff series now. .

Rather than recognize the people don't want playoff baseball in the middle of the season of the nation's real national pastime, football, and shorten the regular season, they just keep pushing the end of the season back. That was the point of the historical references of the end dates of seasons. I'm not 12 years old, I have lived through much of that history so I'm well aware of the fewer playoff series. Unfortunately, Rob Manfred and the geniuses in New York fail to realize that they're further damaging an already injured game.

Last edited:
Please define losing?? Baseball franchise values are going up and continue to go up. You are looking at losing in that you are no longer interested. I've pretty much seen full stadiums the last week watching playoff baseball. Do you know what TBS/ ESPN paid baseball for the rights to all these playoff games?? That's not losing. Sure, WE (and I include us) may not like it, but that's the way it's going to be, regardless of how we feel about it.
Fans not watching the playoffs because they are watching other things (the NFL, college football, etc.) is never a healthy thing for the sport. Nor is it healthy to have games in the middle of a weekday afternoon when a ton of people are working. FWIW, playoff game 1 in Cleveland, the Mets’ elimination game, and the Dodgers’ game 1 all were not sellouts. There might be others that I’m not aware of. That’s not great news!