Any suggestions on getting people to talk about girls basketball on here?

get in a time machine and go back to about 2007-2010 when girls basketball across the state was on fire. pre twitter, pre over the top club teams. little did we know how special it was. nobody cares anymore.

Ironically, I recently asked the Mother of a local HS basketball player how the Freshmen team was doing this year? I got a "what the heck is a Freshmen team" look from her.

That grade was very good and had alot of girls playing coming up. Her response indicated they were barely able to field a JV team and even had to cancel one JV game already this season.

Girls like boys are not playing multiple sports. Both of my girls played soccer and ran track in HS. Club soccer doesn’t give girls much down time. My youngest tried as a Freshmen but going from one practice to another wasn’t working not to mention soccer tournaments down south in Jan/ Feb. She had to make a choice which was a shame, she was one of the better PGs in the city in grade school.

Ironically, I recently asked the Mother of a local HS basketball player how the Freshmen team was doing this year? I got a "what the heck is a Freshmen team" look from her.

That grade was very good and had alot of girls playing coming up. Her response indicated they were barely able to field a JV team and even had to cancel one JV game already this season.

My school has not fielded a freshman team in at least 10 years, and I'm not sure if any school in my county (Stark) currently fields a freshman team. There were only 2 or 3 last year out of 20 schools. My school did not field a JV team 2 years ago, fielded enough to have JV last year (although many games were only 2 quarters), and has enough this year to play full JV games, assuming the opponent also has enough bodies. It's not for certain, but my school might have the most players in the county this year with 23 on the roster. That was the scuttlebutt at a preview scrimmage. Many opposing JV teams I've seen this year have only had 8 players and have had to be creative with their allocation of quarters since many teams will have 3 or 4 players who also see time on varsity.

I had no idea it was this bad. So what caused this? Seems travel ball gets the blame alot of times but maybe that is the real reason here too.

Is there another Winter sport that is drawing the girls away from basketball?

I had no idea it was this bad. So what caused this? Seems travel ball gets the blame alot of times but maybe that is the real reason here too.

There might be a feeling that if you're not on an AAU team, then you might as well not bother playing in HS, but the bigger reason I hear from kids is the length of the season. I responded that volleyball season is about the same length, but their answer is that a large portion of the volleyball season occurs before school starts, so it feels shorter to them. By contrast, the entire basketball season takes place during the school year, and it also covers several holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, MLK, and President's Day). It can be a grind.

Last edited:

Volleyball participation is down as well.... lowest it has been since before 2000

I know that volleyball is a very tricky sport. My daughter played for the first time this year in 7th grade and was approached to play JO. Not knowing anything about the sport, the information was spotty at best. Tryouts were in October? Practices through the Winter? Games were in the late Winter all the way through the Summer? Worst part wasn't able to get a clear answer on costs. She plays basketball and softball too and likely would be a part time player. The only cost amount that we got was around $1000. Seems like alot of money for a part timer.

It's an email away. I would suggest contacting ADs from different demographics. They probably won't give solutions but may have causes. Same for traffic. Advertise.

The girl's game has to be tough to draw interest. What talent exists gets focused into very few programs in each conference. Our coach seemed to just get "athletic" girls, girls interested in gym or just being part of a team and start them learning as Freshman to fill out a team around the few girls that actually played. But they know they're going to be losing by 50 so, what kid wants any part of that?

Girls like boys are not playing multiple sports. Both of my girls played soccer and ran track in HS. Club soccer doesn’t give girls much down time. My youngest tried as a Freshmen but going from one practice to another wasn’t working not to mention soccer tournaments down south in Jan/ Feb. She had to make a choice which was a shame, she was one of the better PGs in the city in grade school.
I'd like to see a rule from the OHSAA that you can't play 2 sports in a season. Already, girls basketball players for high schools cannot practice with their travel basketball teams. But they can practice with their travel soccer or travel volleyball teams while playing basketball. I think the travel teams have gotten too over the top. My girls have played for them. We told the travel coach that 9 months of soccer for the year was enough and that she was going to take a little time off to play basketball for her school. But there are other girls on the team that are playing travel sports too. They are having 2 practices per night many nights (one with the high school basketball team and one with the travel soccer or travel volleyball). It's ridiculous.

I don’t have much to offer the discussion regarding Xs and Os as my BB knowledge is limited. However, my interest in GBB has been growing for several years and is now equal to if not having possibly passed HS FB. ? I think it’s more enjoyable than boys BB at the HS level mostly due to stronger fundamentals and greater teamwork. I have attended the state tournament most of the last 10 years and have seen more than 60 varsity games in each of the last two seasons. Although participation numbers are low, we have more than our share of good players and teams both locally (NEO) and statewide.

I think the level of play around Ohio from the middle to the top is very good. The bottom is the bottom .
Talking about on message boards I think is a little tricky....Emotions from every angle are different that say HSFB
As for participation - the multisport vs specialization is where its at. It seems to me Basketball and another sport can coexist form what I can tell but I get the impression that soccer gets the players at a very young age and then demands the most year round commitment, can't change it but I also don't like, as a basketball fan or an American ;). Volleyball, timing overlaps for JO. Softball seems like if you pick a primary you could do both although lots of juggling if you did AAU & travel softball.

1. Athletes (and parents) feel it is "below" them to have to play JV so if they aren't going to play varsity as a freshman they don't go out.
2. Parents, parents, parents. Parents bad mouth coaches at home to the extent that the player no longer wants to play for their coach. "Coach only plays his favorites" type of parent.
3. Off season sports commitments. Too many volleyball/soccer/softball leagues and/or practices in the winter and spring. Travel clubs are making kids choose a sport and it is hurting all sports. I hate this one. I feel kids should embrace and enjoy playing for their school but "Joe Knows Everything Club Coach" is telling them that if they don't play their sport in the offseason then they will never get a scholorship tom play in college.
4. Club sports $$$$$$$. It is VERY expensive to play any sport outside of the school. Kids and parents have to choose becasue they can't afford to do all the club sports. If a parent is going to spend thousands on soccer training then they may force their kid not to play school sports so they don't interfere with their paid training.
5. Skills-Basketball takes a lot of skill and not everyone has the skills/coordination to put the ball in the basket or even dribble while running.

I believe the above posters have given some very good reasons for the decline in popularity. I will add one more reason. The OCC has the rule that in league play the girls and boys will play the a league opponent on the same night with one being away and one home. Most casual fans will attend the boys game. I have been to many GB games at my school and it is mostly family and a few friends. The elite teams do draw at decent crowd at home but not much away.

Now it is a bit different in the small towns. I have went to several games in rural areas and the attendance for GB is pretty good. In small town Ohio almost everybody follows their teams. In the city (Cols burb)_where I live, people are oblivious to high school sports unless one of their own is playing.

I believe the above posters have given some very good reasons for the decline in popularity. I will add one more reason. The OCC has the rule that in league play the girls and boys will play the a league opponent on the same night with one being away and one home.
I do not like that rule. I'm guessing it had something to do with some parents complaining a long time ago about boys games being on primetime (Friday night) and the girls getting some other day/night. While this rule corrects that problem, it would be interesting to ask the parents and fans of boys and girls teams if they think this rule is working well.

I do not like that rule. I'm guessing it had something to do with some parents complaining a long time ago about boys games being on primetime (Friday night) and the girls getting some other day/night. While this rule corrects that problem, it would be interesting to ask the parents and fans of boys and girls teams if they think this rule is working well.

I always heard it was because the OCC was all about Title IX. I also heard the Athletic Directors and Supervisors liked it as they did all their work on the same nights instead of coming back in for a Wednesday or Saturday game.

I talked to a coach at one of the rural schools where I attend games and he was shocked there is such a rule.

The better fix to the "title ix" issue is to have varsity girl/boy doubleheaders... they started doing those up here and it was awesome for the kids but they've gone away from it since.

I remember the Dalbert (spelling?) Report was very popular around 5 to 10 years ago. Wonder what happened.

The better fix to the "title ix" issue is to have varsity girl/boy doubleheaders... they started doing those up here and it was awesome for the kids but they've gone away from it since.

I'd take it a step further and occasionally flip the order of games to where girls varsity is in the "prime time" slot.

My school does a varsity doubleheader each year. Aside from the usual girls game crowd, the fans don't make much of an effort to arrive in time for the 6pm girls tip-off. However, they may do so for a 6pm boys tip-off and then decide to stay for the girls game since they're already in the gym. It's worth a shot.

I'd take it a step further and occasionally flip the order of games to where girls varsity is in the "prime time" slot.

My school does a varsity doubleheader each year. Aside from the usual girls game crowd, the fans don't make much of an effort to arrive in time for the 6pm girls tip-off. However, they may do so for a 6pm boys tip-off and then decide to stay for the girls game since they're already in the gym. It's worth a shot.

Agreed.

15ish years ago we had a parent complain about the boys always playing on Fri or Sat and the girls only playing during the week. Threatened to get the courts involved. Since that time the teams rotate who gets Friday/Satuday night. Schedule generally looks like Tuesday-Friday or Wednesday-Saturday for games.

15ish years ago we had a parent complain about the boys always playing on Fri or Sat and the girls only playing during the week. Threatened to get the courts involved. Since that time the teams rotate who gets Friday/Satuday night. Schedule generally looks like Tuesday-Friday or Wednesday-Saturday for games.
I remember that happening around the state at a few conferences. When they moved the boys games to Saturday nights and the girls games to Friday nights, the crowds still followed the boys games. Saturday became the big night to follow games.

The best thing that I have seen to increase the interest in girls basketball is to get the students involved. I've seen that in several sports where they get the student sections involved whether it is volleyball, basketball, soccer, or softball. The more kids that show interest seems to bring more excitement to the game. But you need a dedicated AD to push this for multiple seasons.

I've also seen the opposite where at the boys games, the students are sitting all over the place and not paying attention to the game. They start with decent crowds at the start of the season and end with almost no students by the end of the year.