Any suggestions on getting people to talk about girls basketball on here?

pupsband

Topical....last night at the girl's game, an assistant coach shushed the pep band as they were enthusiastically playing for their team. They didn't play for the rest of the game (it was the 4th quarter). I don't know how many girls teams have pep bands at their game, but that's not a good look, if you're trying build a following. The boys coach makes a point of thanking the band. Just my 2 cents.

D4fan

I know that volleyball is a very tricky sport. My daughter played for the first time this year in 7th grade and was approached to play JO. Not knowing anything about the sport, the information was spotty at best. Tryouts were in October? Practices through the Winter? Games were in the late Winter all the way through the Summer? Worst part wasn't able to get a clear answer on costs. She plays basketball and softball too and likely would be a part time player. The only cost amount that we got was around $1000. Seems like alot of money for a part timer.
About a $1,000. My experience has been that is about right early on, but as your athlete moves up and travel to Orlando, Pittsburg, Ft Wayne, Louiville all hit the same year your hotel bill will equal that amount. Our last season with my sons AAU team we spent well over 5k, and spent additionally helping get some of the kids to the tournaments when their parents could not afford additional cost.

Getting interest built in girls basketball? Lower the rim to 8.5 feet. At 10 ft you do not get the competition to rebound off the rim the way boys games are played. In southwest Ohio, there are those programs that have potential district champs every year. The fans for these schools have lost interest in following a team that is so predictably good. If we had more changeover as to who advanced deep into the tournament more communities would likely get involved.

To get more fan involvement, how about jv boys followed by varsity girls followed by varsity boys. Give the girls the national anthem. This allows boys who play both jv and varsity to recover more than if they play back to back.

Denizen

I remember that happening around the state at a few conferences. When they moved the boys games to Saturday nights and the girls games to Friday nights, the crowds still followed the boys games. Saturday became the big night to follow games.

The best thing that I have seen to increase the interest in girls basketball is to get the students involved. I've seen that in several sports where they get the student sections involved whether it is volleyball, basketball, soccer, or softball. The more kids that show interest seems to bring more excitement to the game. But you need a dedicated AD to push this for multiple seasons.

I've also seen the opposite where at the boys games, the students are sitting all over the place and not paying attention to the game. They start with decent crowds at the start of the season and end with almost no students by the end of the year.
We are very fortunate at the school my kid plays at because the student section is primarily made up of players from the boys team, and they get into it. It makes sense--the kids who really love the game should love being a fan nearly as much as playing. We get bigger student sections for boys games but really don't play anywhere that has nearly as big a student section as us. I think a big factor is letting the students (and in our case, pep band) know you appreciate them. And in our case, the pep band prefers playing at girls game because they are appreciated. As parents, we pass the hat and feed the student section a few times a year and feed the band once. Little things like that, 10 or 15 dollars per season, goes a long way toward building support for your program.

Mr. Slippery

I see a few students, but they generally don't sit together in one area. My school doesn't bother pulling out the student section bleachers at the end of the court for girls games. Players from the boys team who have their own transportation will stay and watch if they practiced right before the girls play. Otherwise, it's just a handful of students in the crowd who are the players' close friends or siblings.

Admittedly, the only girls games I attended while in HS were part of a girl-boy doubleheader. The thought of attending never crossed my mind, I never followed their schedule, and I wasn't friends with any of the players until end of senior year when one of them often served as my euchre partner during study hall.

MCGal

I'd take it a step further and occasionally flip the order of games to where girls varsity is in the "prime time" slot.

My school does a varsity doubleheader each year. Aside from the usual girls game crowd, the fans don't make much of an effort to arrive in time for the 6pm girls tip-off. However, they may do so for a 6pm boys tip-off and then decide to stay for the girls game since they're already in the gym. It's worth a shot.
Great idea and I actually saw it happen this year at Walsh Jesuit HS. Props to them for that, but the boys JV/Varsity played in the afternoon and the girls JV/Varsity played after. There was a nice crowd for both.

Kballer

We were fortunate that during my daughters years of HS ball they had a very successful team. The boys team (who were the cool kids) practiced before the girls games during the week and the guys would stay to cheer on the girls and encourage other students to come as well. We always had teachers and staff that came to games- it was a smaller school and We were fortunate there was always a good Student turnout for all activities.

For a couple of years a local school did a double header for senior night- had all of the seniors for both teams introduced between games. Always though this was a great idea

HardCorps

The WNBA has been a marketing failure. The NCAA does a much better job especially at tourney time (Final 4). If the NCAA could do an all around better job throughout the season perhaps that could plant some seeds of interest in the younger minds.

Falcon7

Fairmont lost yesterday at home, what happened?
I didn't think Mercy McAuley was all that good, they lost to Mt. Notre Dame by 35, yeah I know MND is likely the best team in the State.
They have 2 really tough games this week, at Carroll tomorrow and then 17-1 Wayne at home on Wed.

Last edited:

D4fan

The WNBA has been a marketing failure. The NCAA does a much better job especially at tourney time (Final 4). If the NCAA could do an all around better job throughout the season perhaps that could plant some seeds of interest in the younger minds.
I read up a bit on WNBA after reading your comment, as I have zero interest in their game. Seems attendance continues to drop at WNBA contest but more careful examination shows much of the drop is related to a couple teams moving out of 10k seat arenas and into 4k seat "gyms" in order to generate ticket shortages and hope to build interest by making it a ticket in demand.

I enjoy watching the girls game, but that is largely because I like basketball. I can drive other members of my family nuts with my watching teams we have no close connection to just because I like the game.

WNBA leaders seem to believe their brand is at the same place the men's game was in the 1960's. With time more interest will build. I doubt that personally. There is a lack of market exposure when compared to the men's game in the 60's or 70's when NBA was on local TV on a regular basis. I watch NBA when everything else has went to baseball.

So why are more people interested in the men's side than the women? Perhaps simple as the fact people who are not as interested in the game as a whole, prefer to see the best brand of the game in terms of entertainment.

Lower the rim, not just for dunking, but primarily for better rebounding advantage, and the game becomes more equivalent to the men. Shorten the court to make the game speed more similar.

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
I think they should be trying to differentiate the girls game from the boys game.

I have talked to alot of people the last few months that are really starting to get into women's softball. They watch alot of college games on the ESPN stations. Most of them do not have daughters that play(ed) the game. What was interesting is that they said they really enjoyed the game because it was similar to baseball but also very different. They weren't comparing the athleticism and skills between baseball and softball because the games are played so differently. Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to go with some drastic rule changes that would make the games more competitive and more entertaining.

One suggestion that I saw for basketball in general a while back was to let each team have their own homecourt dimensions. That included moving the 3 point line in closer or further away. There were limits of course to how much they could change things but it would be fun to watch a great 3 point shooting team get knocked off when they went to a court that had the 3 point line at 30 feet.

D4fan

I think they should be trying to differentiate the girls game from the boys game.

I have talked to alot of people the last few months that are really starting to get into women's softball. They watch alot of college games on the ESPN stations. Most of them do not have daughters that play(ed) the game. What was interesting is that they said they really enjoyed the game because it was similar to baseball but also very different. They weren't comparing the athleticism and skills between baseball and softball because the games are played so differently. Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to go with some drastic rule changes that would make the games more competitive and more entertaining.

One suggestion that I saw for basketball in general a while back was to let each team have their own homecourt dimensions. That included moving the 3 point line in closer or further away. There were limits of course to how much they could change things but it would be fun to watch a great 3 point shooting team get knocked off when they went to a court that had the 3 point line at 30 feet.
I can see the value in making the game different. I like to watch volleyball but the men's vs women's games are power vs finesse, two totally different games. They do change the height of the net based on men or women to help with the difference in the average height at which the ball can be attacked.

Mr. Slippery

In looking through the NE District tournament assignments, I notice that 5 schools have withdrawn from their respective tournaments over the course of the season:
Cleveland John Marshall (DI)
Akron North (DI)
Cleveland MLK (DII)
Akron East (DII)
Cleveland JFK (DIII)

D4fan

In looking through the NE District tournament assignments, I notice that 5 schools have withdrawn from their respective tournaments over the course of the season:
Cleveland John Marshall (DI)
Akron North (DI)
Cleveland MLK (DII)
Akron East (DII)
Cleveland JFK (DIII)
What's your take on the reason? Non competitive?

Mr. Slippery

What's your take on the reason? Non competitive?
I don't know the reasons, but it's not a good situation. John Marshall withdrew on November 5 which would suggest that they couldn't field a team. The other 4 have all withdrawn within the past 2.5 weeks.