Any schools let their students in for free to football games?

Milton-Union student athletes get a sports pass that lets them in for free. Only athletes though, not all students.

All schools should do this. Good student support makes the game atmosphere better. I don't like that schools try to squeeze money out of their students who want to support their school's teams. They shouldn't have to pay to so something that benefits the school. I feel the same way about pay-to-play policies that a lot of places have. High school sports shouldn't be run like a business.

The average fan is going to say kids should get in free for football games but that would really bring down revenue. At Wapak ticket prices are already cut in half from $8 to $4 for students. And there are students that go in to the school and buy “student” tickets for their parents and family.
The student attendance thing is only a problem at some schools. Some schools could charge $15 a ticket and kids would still go. It’s part of being in high school. However some schools with bad programs do struggle for attendance. That is where maybe the free passes for students should come into play.

The average fan is going to say kids should get in free for football games but that would really bring down revenue. At Wapak ticket prices are already cut in half from $8 to $4 for students. And there are students that go in to the school and buy “student” tickets for their parents and family.
The student attendance thing is only a problem at some schools. Some schools could charge $15 a ticket and kids would still go. It’s part of being in high school. However some schools with bad programs do struggle for attendance. That is where maybe the free passes for students should come into play.
I love for my kids to go to events, but if they both came home and needed 15 apiece for every HS football game i would be calling the school.

That's crazy

Dover offers a fall pass for $30.00 includes all fall athletic events. Student attendance and Enthusiasm has been great. Winter pass is same deal.
Dover also offers a senior pass to those over 65 that are retired,$40.00 for all school events including plays and concerts for the year.

Last edited:
Not free, but students can buy an all-sports pass for the entire school year or buy discounted presale tickets during football season (amazing how many kids don't and pay full price at the gate instead). In my day, the student pass was priced where it paid for itself if a student attended the entire home football schedule and 1/2 of the boys basketball home schedule. Anything beyond that was gravy.

My school currently charges for the 2 aforementioned sports plus: swimming, track and field, boys and girls soccer, girls basketball, volleyball, lacrosse, and wrestling. It's a shame they can't funnel the crowd to 1 place for baseball games to charge admission because those games draw fairly well, and they generally play more home games than away.

A lot of schools lets their athletes in to sporting events - I think that's great reward and definitely a positive thing

i don’t see why students shouldn’t get in for free. greenon charges $5 still for students for all sports. never seen a student section at any games other than football, boys basketball, and soccer. the year long athletic pass for students is still $75. let the students in for free or an even cheaper price, it will increase school spirit.

I guess the question is should students get assessed an annual student activity fee so that for one flat cost they can get into everything? Not only would the budget be known at the start of the year but it might encourage students to show up not only at more football games but other events if mom and dad already ponied up $s. Nothing big, something like $50 each kid is certainly reasonable in this day and age.

There are pros and cons to it IMO. I like it as far as getting more people to the games and hopefully more students would go and support their fellow classmates. The problem I have is that a lot if not most schools have a pay to play policy. Some of those fees are anywhere from $100-$150 or maybe more. So a school is going to make the athletes that put in hours upon hours to practice and perfect their craft a fee, but kids that put no time into the sport get to go for free. I kind of have a problem with that. If they want to let the kids in free to watch, they should not have a pay to play policy. That to me would make no sense. Also not having the pay to play may or may not get more kids playing as well. There are definitely 2 sides to this coin for sure.

Last edited:
My school on occasion, meaning big games, will allow free admission for basketball games if you present your student ID. The catch / trick however is that the girls bball game starts at say 6 pm and the boys at 8 pm. To get in free you have to show up between 5:30 pm and 6:00 pm. Its essentially done to provide more support / attendance for the girls team. The irony is that our girls team is far more successful than our boys team haha.

My school on occasion, meaning big games, will allow free admission for basketball games if you present your student ID. The catch / trick however is that the girls bball game starts at say 6 pm and the boys at 8 pm. To get in free you have to show up between 5:30 pm and 6:00 pm. Its essentially done to provide more support / attendance for the girls team. The irony is that our girls team is far more successful than our boys team haha.

what school is yours? your profile says that your favorite school is Lima Senior, but the boys team is MUCH better than the girls team lol, Senior might have one of the best boys teams in the state.

Kids don’t pay. Kids who want to go ask parents for money. Some won’t or can’t afford. No idea what that number is til you try I guess. I like the idea but would set it up as a booster funded ticket to whoever requested one (some like mine wouldn’t), keep track at the gate, then keep the account filled with booster donations as needed. Hopefully a Massillon fan or booster takes note - interesting idea.

I think students should be free, especially in the urban schools or poor rural schools. Back when I was in CPS, I'd argue this point til I was blue in the face. Your talking maybe 50 students at a big game if your are lucky. Let them in, and they'll buy concessions. Your revenue just increased. I also always said there should be discount parent/guardian free passes because very few showed up. Again, they'd buy concessions and increase your revenue while also improving your game day atmosphere. I fail to see a down side to this.

Cincy the downside is if you don’t get ALOT more students to come then you lose revenue. I suspect a few more would come but not sure how many more. I guess you’d have to trial it a year to prove it out.

Cincy the downside is if you don’t get ALOT more students to come then you lose revenue. I suspect a few more would come but not sure how many more. I guess you’d have to trial it a year to prove it out.
How do you lose revenue if they are already not coming? If you have never been, I encourage you to go to an inner city game (Where 2 inner city teams are playing) some time and you can literally count the fans due to the low attendance. Student attendance is non existent.

If 50 students pay now, but it increases to 70 if they are all free, then you probably do not make up lost revenue. Now if you go from 50 to 150 then maybe. You can't guarantee it would automatically boost revenue otherwise no school would charge admission. Personally I have never not gone to a game because cost. Esp. my kids who get a good student discount. Where I live getting a ride is probably harder.

Back when I was in school, freshman, JH, and peewee football players and cheerleaders got into home games free IF they were wearing their jersey/uniform. Now, like others have said, students can buy a sports pass for a nominal fee and get into every home game of w/e sport they want.

Especially the pay to play schools.

It's pay to do anything these days aint it? I am paying student fees, sports fees, art fees, computer lab fee, science fee, field trips (guilt trips), a list of supplies as long as your arm, etc etc etc. It never ends. To boot I live so far out I end up buying most or all of the crap they are required to sell all year long to raise money. Candy bars are the best, don't take alot of room and I can give alot away but a couple weeks ago I bought 4 large crates of freaking oranges that taste like crap, lol. They are going to the curb Thursday.

It's pay to do anything these days aint it? I am paying student fees, sports fees, art fees, computer lab fee, science fee, field trips (guilt trips), a list of supplies as long as your arm, etc etc etc. It never ends. To boot I live so far out I end up buying most or all of the crap they are required to sell all year long to raise money. Candy bars are the best, don't take alot of room and I can give alot away but a couple weeks ago I bought 4 large crates of freaking oranges that taste like crap, lol. They are going to the curb Thursday.
Well said. I do agree that the fundraising is completely out of control.