Any chance if Fall football was cancelled they would move it to the Spring?

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Just spitballing here but it is not as wild as it sounds. Maybe shorten the regular season by a couple games?

Wouldn’t that destroy spring sports like baseball and track for the year? Then what would you do with 2021 season? Play it three months after the previous season? Sorry, not practical.....

I think there is going to be alot of pressure to give the outgoing Seniors there last hurrah if the Fall season is cancelled.

It would definitely impact the Spring sports but I believe they could coexist.

I think there is going to be alot of pressure to give the outgoing Seniors there last hurrah if the Fall season is cancelled.

It would definitely impact the Spring sports but I believe they could coexist.

You maybe right that the Sports could coexist. Many, Many Officials, Officiate Multiple Sports. I don’t think Ohio would have enough Officials for All Spring Sports plus Football. Just my 2 cents though.

In Texas? Definitely.

In Ohio, or other states, maybe. I just can't imagine the cost and fanfare of high school football missing an entire school year just due to the technicality they couldn't play by a self imposed cutoff date.

Extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures. Winter or spring football is entirely possible.

In Texas? Definitely.

In Ohio, or other states, maybe. I just can't imagine the cost and fanfare of high school football missing an entire school year just due to the technicality they couldn't play by a self imposed cutoff date.

Extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures. Winter or spring football is entirely possible.
It's not though, there won't be games in February and there won't be games in April. If for some reason we're still locked down in September there won't be sports, simple as that.

Haven't given it any thought but man oh man what a concept. I have to believe that smart minds (well, keep the OHSAA out of it) could possibly figure something out. Sure would wreak havoc but damn we are living in different times right now.

maybe if we are lucky. but we would probably be looking at a shortened season so athletes could participate in spring sports for a period as well

Possible Scenario:
Social distancing ends early fall:

Have your winter sports ready to go and get started with competitions as soon as possible. Shorten the season in an effort to:

Play fall sports in the late winter/early spring. Shorten the season in an effort to:

Play spring sports in the later spring early summer.

Maybe tournaments are put on hold for a year or participation in tournaments is cut down. Not a bad price to pay.

Golf and girls tennis may be losers in this situation.

There will always be a million reasons why not. But it gives you fighting chance to have three season next year if this thing lasts well into the summer.

maybe if we are lucky. but we would probably be looking at a shortened season so athletes could participate in spring sports for a period as well
Baseball needs to start a month latter anyways to deal with the wet season and bleed over to summer. Let the AAU teams deal with it. Track could be an issue, but you could almost run track events along side Football. Especially for the runners. field events might get rough. The bigger issue is practice, When do you start it? I think kids need a multiple weeks to get their bodies ready.

I really like the idea though.

Possible Scenario:
Social distancing ends early fall:

Have your winter sports ready to go and get started with competitions as soon as possible. Shorten the season in an effort to:

Play fall sports in the late winter/early spring. Shorten the season in an effort to:

Play spring sports in the later spring early summer.

Maybe tournaments are put on hold for a year or participation in tournaments is cut down. Not a bad price to pay.

Golf and girls tennis may be losers in this situation.

There will always be a million reasons why not. But it gives you fighting chance to have three season next year if this thing lasts well into the summer.

Shorten the football season also. No out of conference. Independents are in trouble there.

I don't think spring but I could see something like the following:
Practice starts Aug 29th, not Aug 1 and first game is Sept. 18th so season starts three weeks late.
Playoffs dropped to 4 teams per region to reduce playoffs by one week and championships would be Dec. 18th - Dec. 20, two weeks later than current schedule

Reactions: gc8
Like much of our society, sports long term implications will be impacted. This time could be used how we see/deal with the gap between Non School and School teams for things like baseball. Move HS Baseball to the summer, Figure out a way to allow kids to play on travel and school at the same time, add spring football, etc etc.

Baseball needs to start a month latter anyways to deal with the wet season and bleed over to summer. Let the AAU teams deal with it. Track could be an issue, but you could almost run track events along side Football. Especially for the runners. field events might get rough. The bigger issue is practice, When do you start it? I think kids need a multiple weeks to get their bodies ready.

I really like the idea though.
say social distancing ends september. you have a preseason football training camp that lasts 2-3 weeks. start basketball/wrestling on schedule. continue lifting for football January into february. start football practice first day of march. two more weeks of practice and you play a 6 game scehdule. season over by May. playoffs would continue with 4 teams per region, stretching throughout all of May. state finals first week of June. Track/Baseball starts May 1st and those still playing football will have OHSAA mandated time to participate in there spring sports. example: football practice max of two hours a day, allowing for 1 hour of baseball/track 3 additional days a week until the football season is over. Track state championships wrap up the week before or week of july 4th. June would be mandatory no contact period for football athletes. allow july/august for conditioning/camp/practice and start the season after memorial day.

do i think we will have a full fall sports season even if it is delayed? absolutely. they’d play regular season football through thanksgiving. but if it were not allowed to be played yet, this is the only way i see it being done

update: to get more competition in, you could hold a 7on7 league in october, play 6-8 total games against area teams.

Just spitballing here but it is not as wild as it sounds. Maybe shorten the regular season by a couple games?

Why is that better, becuase it's farther out? If no vaccine, how could that make any sense? Virus still around then, probably a couple hundred million that haven't had the virus bacuse we've been locked up. So we send them all out with no immunity just to start this whole thing up again. There's only one viable answer here, IMO. Start this country back up by June 1st in some form, deal with the reality of fatalities, then pray for a vaccine asap so we can put this awful thing on the rear view. Oh and turn off all forms of media, so we don't have to listen to the commentators, politicians and all their corrupt motivations.

Last edited:
It’s plausible that weeks 1 and 2 could get lopped off the schedule, to accommodate the off-season being bumped back while also finishing “on time.” Not unlike what the NFL is possibly going to do, which is make weeks 1 and 2 home and away for all 32 teams so that (if need be) they can get cut out for a 14-game / 15-week schedule.

Season starts sept 20th. Seven game regular season, cancel first three games. Everyone makes playoffs thus ensuring everyone gets eight games. Playoffs start and last 6 rounds. Championship game moved back one week. Done!!!!

It’s plausible that weeks 1 and 2 could get lopped off the schedule, to accommodate the off-season being bumped back while also finishing “on time.” Not unlike what the NFL is possibly going to do, which is make weeks 1 and 2 home and away for all 32 teams so that (if need be) they can get cut out for a 14-game / 15-week schedule.

I'd be great with this, but how is this a possible scenario? Are we all of a sudden ok with corona death in September? Or will corona be wiped from the earth by then?

I'd be great with this, but how is this a possible scenario? Are we all of a sudden ok with corona death in September? Or will corona be wiped from the earth by then?
likely a seasonal disease so not wiped off the earth, but out of season

likely a seasonal disease so not wiped off the earth, but out of season

if that's correct, which is an unknown, the basketball kids again are out of luck next year? Remember we're told the spread rate of this is 2X and the fatality rate is 10x (although no one really knows). This feels less about fatality count and more about managing a couple different things at play here. my thoughts still hold. Take it on the chin now while continually figuring new ways to best manage, short of sheltering everyone.

Although I haven’t heard any discussion of spring football. I would not rule it out. OHSAA and many school athletic department’s survival might depend on it.

If this thing goes on much longer I don't think any option will be off the table. Should make for some interesting discussions that's for sure.

Although I haven’t heard any discussion of spring football. I would not rule it out. OHSAA and many school athletic department’s survival might depend on it.
Might work at the big schools. Not at the smaller ones.
Here’s a hare-brained idea:

Class ‘A’ (OHSAA still apparently uses this classification?) baseball and softball in fall 2020 for one season only, AA/AAA baseball and softball in spring 2021.***Football all sizes spring 2021 finish by second Saturday in May for one season only; start a new fall 2021 season with a later summer date, set the scrimmage limit to two (or one scrim + one jamboree), cut a week or two out of the regular season and finish on time.

2022, 23, 24... spring baseball and fall football

*** or, all size schools play baseball in the fall.

7 game season is already being discussed. This will force schools to play league games only, no OOC games, no marching bands and no playoffs. They will want low fan attendance. Start voting for your state champion early.

No way the ohsaa can go without revenue from state playoffs. That would be almost an entire year of missed revenue. No way they can sustain not having playoffs if there's football.

No way the ohsaa can go without revenue from state playoffs. That would be almost an entire year of missed revenue. No way they can sustain not having playoffs if there's football.

It’s true. Missing winter championships was a gut punch. Missing call would be existentially disastrous.