Anticipated Football Rule Changes

chs1971

2023 NFHS football rules changes should be released in the next 2-3 weeks. I've heard there are six rules changes.

Just to give people something new to speculate about, here is a partial list of someone's rules to reconsider. Most of these would bring us closer to college rules. I don't know that these were all considered. I do know that someone involved thought they should be considered.

Game clock starts on ready for play after runner goes out of bounds, unless under 2 min. in half.

If offense subs, snap is held up so that the defensive can sub.

Forward fumble that goes OOB is returned to the spot of fumble.

Only the player that takes snap can legal intentionally ground a pass.

After ball goes beyond LOS, can't have forward pass.

Intentional Grounding only loss of down at spot of foul, not also a 5 yard penalty.

Legalize 'pushing the pile. (In Ohio it is legal by interpretation already.)

Hands to the face is a 15 yards personal foul. (Currently it is 10 yards illegal use of hands.)

DPI is automatic 1st down, OPI is loss of down.

Automatic first down if unsportsmanlike conduct by the defense. (Don't know what problem this is solving.)

Previous spot enforcement if foul by offense behind the LOS (instead of spot of foul) or by defense if run ends behind LOS (instead of end of the run).

2023 NFHS football rules changes should be released in the next 2-3 weeks. I've heard there are six rules changes.

Just to give people something new to speculate about, here is a partial list of someone's rules to reconsider. Most of these would bring us closer to college rules. I don't know that these were all considered. I do know that someone involved thought they should be considered.

Game clock starts on ready for play after runner goes out of bounds, unless under 2 min. in half.

Intentional Grounding only loss of down at spot of foul, not also a 5 yard penalty.

Hands to the face is a 15 yards personal foul. (Currently it is 10 yards illegal use of hands.)

Automatic first down if unsportsmanlike conduct by the defense. (Don't know what problem this is solving.)

Previous spot enforcement if foul by offense behind the LOS (instead of spot of foul) or by defense if run ends behind LOS (instead of end of the run).
I know the removal of the cut block had been floated and voted on by the NFHS in the past years, they must be moving on from that after they have further defined it.

Sometimes I feel like some of these rules changes are going to make it harder for 5 officials to enforce in Ohio High School. Will be interesting to see what changes come this year.

"Legalize 'pushing the pile. (In Ohio it is legal by interpretation already.)"

Been at multiple games over the years where aiding the runner has been called. When did it change?

I know the removal of the cut block had been floated and voted on by the NFHS in the past years, they must be moving on from that after they have further defined it.
Some would like to eliminate all blocking below the waste. Others who have a vote want to continue to give smaller guys a chance.

The difference between high school football and basketball continues to widen, it's unreal how the NFHS continues to modernize the game. I like all of these, however a 6th official opposite to the R is probably needed with these rules and really the changing of the game itself. If more and more teams are going to run college offenses, you need to better account for the hockey like line changes

"Legalize 'pushing the pile. (In Ohio it is legal by interpretation already.)"

Been at multiple games over the years where aiding the runner has been called. When did it change?
Pushing the pile and aiding the runner are two separate acts. The latter being illegal.

The rule and interpretation has been in effect for decades

The difference between high school football and basketball continues to widen, it's unreal how the NFHS continues to modernize the game. I like all of these, however a 6th official opposite to the R is probably needed with these rules and really the changing of the game itself. If more and more teams are going to run college offenses, you need to better account for the hockey like line changes
I do not like the college rule and really hope we do not go to it.

I think the fact the we usually have 5 or 4 officials on the field instead of 6, 7, or 8 will stop the change to the college rule.

Last edited:
here is a partial list of someone's rules to reconsider. Most of these would bring us closer to college rules.

- After ball goes beyond LOS, can't have forward pass.
Okay, I'm a bit confused. Can you clarify this rule as it is currently, and give an example?

I assumed the offense has one shot at passing forward, and the ball had to remain behind the LOS the entire time, from high school to the NFL. Just wondering if NFHS has an exception, like the Team A QB fumbles while in the pocket, the ball bounces forward past the LOS, then Team A LB accidentally knocks it back behind the LOS, and Team A QB picks it up and makes a "legal" forward pass. Is that scenario permissible now? Thanks.

I saw a team run a play a few years ago where the QB threw a forward pass beyond the line of scrimmage, the WR worked his way back behind the LOS and pitched it backwards to the QB, who then threw another forward pass downfield.

It was legal at the time.

Okay, I'm a bit confused. Can you clarify this rule as it is currently, and give an example?

I assumed the offense has one shot at passing forward, and the ball had to remain behind the LOS the entire time, from high school to the NFL. Just wondering if NFHS has an exception, like the Team A QB fumbles while in the pocket, the ball bounces forward past the LOS, then Team A LB accidentally knocks it back behind the LOS, and Team A QB picks it up and makes a "legal" forward pass. Is that scenario permissible now? Thanks.

One forward pass and from behind the LOS. So yes, permissible.

I saw a team run a play a few years ago where the QB threw a forward pass beyond the line of scrimmage, the WR worked his way back behind the LOS and pitched it backwards to the QB, who then threw another forward pass downfield.

Only one legal forward pass per play.

Rule changed in 2005.

I have no idea what the pro and college rule is.

What you describe has never been legal under NFHS Rules. Before 2005 there were no limits on how many forward passes could be thrown during a down as long as none were thrown past the line of scrimmage.

A player may run past the line of scrimmage, retreat back behind the line of scrimmage and throw a legal forward pass..... However, in the two times I have witnessed this in my lifetime, there were linemen illegally downfield when the pass was thrown. (and no, they may not cross and return to be legal)

Not a fan. Teams that run the ball regularly are going to have much shorter games. This only helps the teams that throw 50 times a game finish under 3 hours.
This should definitely be the rule already.
Again, this should be the rule already to prevent holy roller type plays where the offense tries to get extra yards by faking a fumble forward out of bounds.
This makes sense. The next ball carrier should be treated as a runner and not a second qb. No protection from the rush that is given to QBs.

Didn't know this was the current rule and have never seen it before in a game. Definitely eliminates the possibility of archaic little known rules angering the crowd.
This protects the quarterback. But now instead of going down they're just going to chuck it. Hoping for a foul on the defender for the late hit after the throw. I can see it being abused.
Eh. Seen it so much didn't even realize it wasn't codified.
Probably a good idea

No. When NFHS got rid of the automatic first for most fouls I didn't like it but it was consistent. Either bring back auto firsts for the other fouls or just make everything based on yardage. Hate to see a 4th and 45 get a 15 yard auto first on what is essentially a hail mary.

Again. No. Yardage dictates if it's a first down or not.
This takes a lot of the guesswork out of the officials hands on determining exactly where a foul happened or started happening. Things that make enforcement easier are better.

This should definitely be the rule already.
I don't like the college rule.

1. Coach your players to play defense with who you have on the field.

2. It slows down the game.

3. High school games are usually officiated with 5 or 4 officials and don't always see what offensive players are going on and off the field. College games are officiated by crews of 7 or 8 and can keep track of that stuff easier.

JMO

This makes sense. The next ball carrier should be treated as a runner and not a second qb. No protection from the rush that is given to QBs.
The foul is roughing the passer and does not differentiate by position. The player with the ball does not get protection from the rush until the ball is passed, then they get protection. This potential rule change would not change any of that.

Last edited:
I don't like the college rule.

1. Coach your players to play defense with who you have on the field.
So a 4th and 1 from midfield, offense trots out 3 tight ends and a fullback, runs the ball, gets the first down. The defense had out a 6-2 defense to try to stop the run. Offense waits until there's 12 seconds left on the play clock, sprints out 5 wide receivers, and throws for a touchdown because the defense couldn't sub out personnel. How is that fair? By your logic, shouldn't the offense have to be coached to simply succeed with who they have on the field?

So a 4th and 1 from midfield, offense trots out 3 tight ends and a fullback, runs the ball, gets the first down. The defense had out a 6-2 defense to try to stop the run. Offense waits until there's 12 seconds left on the play clock, sprints out 5 wide receivers, and throws for a touchdown because the defense couldn't sub out personnel. How is that fair? By your logic, shouldn't the offense have to be coached to simply succeed with who they have on the field?
That's the way football games are played every week. Everybody knows it. Be prepared.

If a DC has his 6-2 goalline on the field with 1st and 10 at midfield maybe he shouldn't be the DC.

Creating mismatches is part of the game. Be a better coach and learn to deal with it.

Part of the problem is mechanical. HS games have fewer officials on the field to monitor substitutions.

Last edited:
Pushing the pile and aiding the runner are two separate acts. The latter being illegal.

The rule and interpretation has been in effect for decades
The way I have most easily seen this is pushing vs pulling. At least in the instance I saw the lineman grabbed his RB by the pads and drug him across the goal line.

That's the way football games are played every week. Everybody knows it. Be prepared.

If a DC has his 6-2 goalline on the field with 1st and 10 at midfield maybe he shouldn't be the DC.

Creating mismatches is part of the game. Be a better coach and learn to deal with it.

Part of the problem is mechanical. HS games have fewer officials on the field to monitor substitutions.
So no substitutions should be allowed. Coaches should have to run a whole drive with whoever they started with. Got it. Sorry coaches, but you should have thought about the game or situation changing before the drive started. Be prepared. :rolleyes:

So no substitutions should be allowed. Coaches should have to run a whole drive with whoever they started with. Got it. Sorry coaches, but you should have thought about the game or situation changing before the drive started. Be prepared. :rolleyes:
Don't be stupid. That's not the situation now and no one thinks it should be.

Nothing is keeping a defensive coach in the press box from seeing this and the defense subbing in quickly to counter. This chess game goes on all the time the way it is now.

Nobody is stopping the defense from substituting. In fact, the defense has a much easier path to this substitution as they are only required to be on the field and on their side of the line of scrimmage before the snap.

The offense must meet that requirement, have all players briefly inside the 9yd marks (typically top of the numbers), and make sure that all 11 are set for at least one second prior to the snap.

I thought they changed the play clock rules a few years ago, how is this suggestion/change different? Isnt the rule currently that no matter what, once a play is dead the new 40 play clock starts, in bounds, out of bounds, doesnt matter?

I thought they changed the play clock rules a few years ago, how is this suggestion/change different? Isnt the rule currently that no matter what, once a play is dead the new 40 play clock starts, in bounds, out of bounds, doesnt matter?
The potential change refers to the game clock, not the play clock.

Currently in HS whenever the ball goes out of bounds the game clock stays stopped until the snap during the entire game. The rule change would restart the clock on the Referee’s signal except in the last 2:00 of each half (same as NCAA).