Another Pit Bull kills a child.

Re German Shepherds (and possibly almost any other large breed), I'm guessing they make the list because of poor training, inappopriate training, mistreatment, etc.. I also love them as a breed. Every one I've met has approached me correctly and made nice. But one day I just may run into one that doesn't .......

Anyone here have contact with a Cane Corso? No idea of their temperament, but man, they are impressive-looking.
75BE39C8-D871-48F1-97EE-4EA87F7F3D26.jpeg

I have an eleven month old Cane Corso. Pic is him at around eight months. He’s been to Puppy class, obedience one and obedience two classes and has good citizenship canine certification. More classes to come. They are great with “Their People “ - very sweet and right next to you. Not good with strangers per se even if very well socialized from eight weeks when we got him. Natural instinct is to protect. They take about eighteen months to mature compared to most dogs maturing around a year.

So....I see democrats buying up every pit bull there is and create breeding farms. Woman doesn't want her baby and cannot get an abortion so ... newborn in a room smattered in beggin strips with a pit bull and bam ...ya have what they desire....dead babies.

FFS, The father of the two kids killed in Tennessee referred to their pet pit bulls as the "House Lions."

TRAGICALLY, I think he was right.

2 more kids killed. Tennessee.

Family pets for eight years?
The pets, Cheech and Mia, were a part of the family for more than eight years without a violent incident, Kelsey Canfield — best friend of Bennard — told Fox News Digital.

"There's no such thing as bad dogs, only bad owners" is a phrase I've heard all too often in defense of this breed. At one time I myself actually believed that - that Pitbulls were misunderstood, and the majority of Pitbull attacks were the result of abusive owners who wanted "tough" dogs. Then my family got a Pitbull whom we raised from a puppy like all our other dogs. He was sweet and lovable, until he wasn't. I went to visit my mother shortly after my dad died, and when I went into the backyard to see the dog, he tried to attack me. I later did a study on dog attacks in college and found that something like 67% of all dog attack deaths were reported as Pitbull attacks. That leaves only 33% of all other deaths to be divided up amongst all other dog breeds, including the two other "tough dog" breeds (Rottweilers and German Shepherds) whose attacks are the result of "bad owners". It's just so sad that so many people put "the poor misunderstood" Pitbull ahead of their own children's safety, and don't learn the truth about that breed until it's too late.

The people that defend and promote this particular breed of dog simply don’t care about others!! The looney left in many cities have done away with Pit Bull Bans showing everyone they simply don’t care either!!

I don't know where this thread has gone...

A few decades back, I was involved in a mauling lawsuit, filed by the parents of a young boy. The mauling was done by one of the "bad" breeds (pit bull, rottweiler, etc.) and the injuries were significant (disfiguring but not life threatening). The allegation was that an electronic fence product failed to restrain the dog. Some question as to whether or not the fence was "on" at the time and whether or not the boy and his buddies were aggravating the dog in some way. Those possibilities were outweighed by the worry of a bad trial outcome and a large settlement was agreed to.

In any event, lots of experts were secured and the consensus of the experts was that the "scary" dog breeds...pit bulls, rottweilers, etc...were not innately aggressive/violent. They were stronger, bigger, more dangerous in that way, but their viciousness (if it existed) was trained into them by their nasty human owners. Some of the smaller breeds (terriers, e.g.) were found to be more innately aggressive by the experts.

In our case, the dog was taken into a county kennel and, a few weeks later, put down by a court order. An employee at the dog pound testified that the dog was a very nice, obedient dog and she cried when ordered to put him down.

A few decades back, I was involved in a bad mauling lawsuit of a young boy by one of the "bad" breeds (pit bull, rottweiler, etc.). The allegation was that an electronic fence product failed to restrain the dog. Some question as to whether or not the fence was "on" at the time and whether or not the boy and his buddies were aggravating the dog in some way. Those possibilities were outweighed by the worry of a bad trial outcome and a large settlement was agreed to.

In any event, lots of experts were secured and the consensus was that the "scary" dog breeds...pit bulls, rottweilers, etc...were not innately aggressive/violent. They were stronger, bigger, more dangerous in that way, but their viciousness (if it existed) was trained into them by their nasty human owners. Some of the smaller breeds (terriers, e.g.) were found to be more innately aggressive by the experts.

In our case, the dog was taken into a county kennel and, a few weeks later, put down by a court order. An employee at the dog pound testified that the dog was a very nice, obedient dog and she cried when ordered to put him down.
Yeah, if you read the story I provided the neighbors said the dog was nice. I was told the dog was actually the daughters.

The bad rap comes from city puppy mills breeding aggressive and strong breeds raised by POS individuals who do not nurture the dog properly. To your point it could be a chihuahua but a pit bull is simply bigger and stronger. If I remember correctly, "pit bull" is not technically a breed of dog, but rather a grouping of several breeds that fit the bill. It is major inner city street cred to have a pit bull but the vast majority of these dogs are born, bought, and raised without any licensing and discarded when they become burdensome and expensive only to repeat the process roughly every 6 mos.

I'm a dog guy, but when I'm at the park and see a 125lbs. girl getting yanked all over the place by a lunging "pit bull" on a choker chain I get a little nervous.

Yeah, if you read the story I provided the neighbors said the dog was nice. I was told the dog was actually the daughters.

The bad rap comes from city puppy mills breeding aggressive and strong breeds raised by POS individuals who do not nurture the dog properly. To your point it could be a chihuahua but a pit bull is simply bigger and stronger. If I remember correctly, "pit bull" is not technically a breed of dog, but rather a grouping of several breeds that fit the bill. It is major inner city street cred to have a pit bull but the vast majority of these dogs are born, bought, and raised without any licensing and discarded when they become burdensome and expensive only to repeat the process roughly every 6 mos.

I'm a dog guy, but when I'm at the park and see a 125lbs. girl getting yanked all over the place by a lunging "pit bull" on a choker chain I get a little nervous.
Well, that's a good summary. The pit is a dog of choice in the urban core of America...and clearly for reasons of intimidation.

Two stories from the Youngstown area earlier this week.

The first is about an incident which took place last fall:

https://www.wkbn.com/news/local-news/owner-pleads-guilty-to-charges-in-youngstown-dog-mauling-case/

This one was just this past week, about three BullMastiffs attacking a woman and causing serious injuries:

https://www.wkbn.com/news/local-news/woman-attacked-by-3-dogs-badly-wounded-reports/
Back to CatAlum’s point, I have two good friends who have Bull Mastiffs. Big clumsy docile animals. Great dogs. All about the raise.

Back to CatAlum’s point, I have two good friends who have Bull Mastiffs. Big clumsy docile animals. Great dogs. All about the raise.

Driving home, I saw one in a ditch, brindle, emaciated. Ribs all stuck out, barely able to move, had to carry her to the truck. MAYBE 40 lbs. Brought her home. I cleaned and fed her a little bit. Wife came home, went to the pen got the St Bernard and lab mix and let them in. They came bounding in to the living room where I was sitting on the floor with the Mastiff's head on my lap. Mastiff sprung to life, had the two dogs and my wife in a corner before I could budge or think. Broke my heart we couldn't keep her. The mastiff I mean.

Have heard it's not the breed, it's the owner. This is largely a true statement. However, it's also true that trash humans appear to be drawn to pitties more than other breeds.
I'm open to the idea that it is primarily true, owner creates the problem.

However, next door neighbor HAD a pit bull a few weeks ago. Dog was always friendly to me and I never worried about it. Couple weeks ago our neighbor on the other side walked her doodle something past the other neighbors house. He came out and talked with her and pet her dog. As he turned to leave his pit bull decided to attack the doodle. He tried to get the dog to let go of her dog, and beat it with a stick while she punched it in the nose. Finally the dog let go of her dog, and attached itself to his face. A shot was heard, and a "good" pit bull was dead. Owner got several stitches in the face.

So another case of the nice doggie gone nuts.

I'm open to the idea that it is primarily true, owner creates the problem.

However, next door neighbor HAD a pit bull a few weeks ago. Dog was always friendly to me and I never worried about it. Couple weeks ago our neighbor on the other side walked her doodle something past the other neighbors house. He came out and talked with her and pet her dog. As he turned to leave his pit bull decided to attack the doodle. He tried to get the dog to let go of her dog, and beat it with a stick while she punched it in the nose. Finally the dog let go of her dog, and attached itself to his face. A shot was heard, and a "good" pit bull was dead. Owner got several stitches in the face.

So another case of the nice doggie gone nuts.
Years of selectively breeding strength and aggression.

A few decades back, I was involved in a mauling lawsuit, filed by the parents of a young boy. The mauling was done by one of the "bad" breeds (pit bull, rottweiler, etc.) and the injuries were significant (disfiguring but not life threatening). The allegation was that an electronic fence product failed to restrain the dog. Some question as to whether or not the fence was "on" at the time and whether or not the boy and his buddies were aggravating the dog in some way. Those possibilities were outweighed by the worry of a bad trial outcome and a large settlement was agreed to.

In any event, lots of experts were secured and the consensus of the experts was that the "scary" dog breeds...pit bulls, rottweilers, etc...were not innately aggressive/violent. They were stronger, bigger, more dangerous in that way, but their viciousness (if it existed) was trained into them by their nasty human owners. Some of the smaller breeds (terriers, e.g.) were found to be more innately aggressive by the experts.

I wonder if she cried for the disfigured young boy