Andrew Luck retires: Colts quarterback stuns NFL after seven seasons at age 29

I'm not sure I"ve ever seen an athlete get so much praise for retiring a couple of weeks before the season with so much expected from his team? And hinting the "mental" aspects really starts us on a slippery slope.

Think he was really tired of the mental and physical aspects of injury rehab. Just my thoughts after his comments the other night.

Not one word of criticism for Schefter who rushed to release the "scoop" during the middle of the game?

Center Ryan Kelly was more to the point. “You to have this envisioned, how you want to release it, and then Twitter just blows up, people are speculating, all kinds of sh--, you got the fans booing you, that’s horsesh-- in my opinion.”

" Criticism," not " Blame. Would he have left to boos if he had been allowed to retire on his own terms? Could the tweet have waited until after the game? Of course, it's his job to report, but some of the Colts did not know until fans told them. How did they get the info? A sloppy, undignified way to end a career.

Last edited:
S
Not one word of criticism for Schefter who rushed to release the "scoop" during the middle of the game?

Center Ryan Kelly was more to the point. “You to have this envisioned, how you want to release it, and then Twitter just blows up, people are speculating, all kinds of sh--, you got the fans booing you, that’s horsesh-- in my opinion.”
Schefter is a reporter, this is his job. What if he realases it in the first quarter? Or before the game? They would have had to have the presser at halftime. Not sure if it was the Colts or Luck but this was handled very poorly. Someone leaked it to Schefter, and he ran with it.

Has there ever been any information as to how Luck got injured? I believe he finished last season heatlhy, he played in all 18 games for the Colts last season, 16 regular season, 2 playoff games. We started at the begining of training camp with a calf strain, then an ankle injury, and it's deteriorated from there. No mention on how he got hurt?

People's frustration is very simple. He concluded it was not the life he wanted while most common guys dream of that life. They may not have that dream after they've made $100M and been in constant rehab mode but they don't look at it that deeply.

Adam Schefter is paid to be the first one with a story. He was doing his job. Odds are it was someone in the organization and that's where the finger should be pointed. Dorsey flushed out a couple of leaks in the Browns organization last year and you see how it's shut down the leaks in Berea.

Adam Schefter is paid to be the first one with a story. He was doing his job. Odds are it was someone in the organization and that's where the finger should be pointed. Dorsey flushed out a couple of leaks in the Browns organization last year and you see how it's shut down the leaks in Berea.

Schefter has been around long enough and has enough connections to know that he should have sat on this until after the game or until his source gave the okay. Even if the source gave the okay, in my opinion Schefter should have allowed Luck to retire on his own timeline.

Schefter is a known name, he doesn't need to break retirement stories before everyone else. I expected this from an up and coming NFL insider trying to make a name for themselves, not a known entity like Adam.

Schefter has been around long enough and has enough connections to know that he should have sat on this until after the game or until his source gave the okay. Even if the source gave the okay, in my opinion Schefter should have allowed Luck to retire on his own timeline.

Schefter is a known name, he doesn't need to break retirement stories before everyone else. I expected this from an up and coming NFL insider trying to make a name for themselves, not a known entity like Adam.
This is comical. How do you think his bosses at ESPN would feel if he sat on the story and some dude from Fox, CBS sports, Yahoo or some other sports reporter scooped him?? You got it backwards Orin, this is all on the Colts/ Luck on how it was carried out. Now, IMO, Luck knew he was retiring months ago, the Colts held on to the hope that they could get him to try it one more time and were unsuccessful. This is really the only viable explanation to the Colts bending over backwards to thank Luck for his 5 1/2 years of time to the Colts. And they gave him the additional money, just in case he decides to return. I think the players have what, a year or two to actually file retirement paperwork.

Has there ever been any information as to how Luck got injured? I believe he finished last season heatlhy, he played in all 18 games for the Colts last season, 16 regular season, 2 playoff games. We started at the begining of training camp with a calf strain, then an ankle injury, and it's deteriorated from there. No mention on how he got hurt?

He was recovering from shoulder surgery going into the 18' season
He then got hurt in preseason [9/18/18 Foot] & regular season [9/26/18 Groin] and played hurt the entire year.

That would put him in the unemployment line. He's paid to break stories, not do follow up stories.

That would put him in the unemployment line. He's paid to break stories, not do follow up stories.

Him not breaking Andrew Luck's retirement during the Colts game would not have put him in the unemployment line. And I'm not trying to blame Schefter although my post did come off that way. It's whoever leaked it. But Schefter at the same time probably should have waited, at minimum, until the end of the game.

Last edited:
This is comical. How do you think his bosses at ESPN would feel if he sat on the story and some dude from Fox, CBS sports, Yahoo or some other sports reporter scooped him??

How would they have broken it if Schefter had a source that no one else had? What a dumb statement.

You got it backwards Orin, this is all on the Colts/ Luck on how it was carried out.

They were waiting to have a press conference the day after their third preseason game and someone broke it during said game so it's on them?

Now, IMO, Luck knew he was retiring months ago,

He said he started thinking about it a few months ago, but sure let's make things up because you want it to fit a narrative.

the Colts held on to the hope that they could get him to try it one more time and were unsuccessful. This is really the only viable explanation to the Colts bending over backwards to thank Luck for his 5 1/2 years of time to the Colts. And they gave him the additional money, just in case he decides to return. I think the players have what, a year or two to actually file retirement paperwork.

There are hundreds of other reasons, but sure. Your entire post is speculation with no basis in reality.

Last edited:
People's frustration is very simple. He concluded it was not the life he wanted while most common guys dream of that life. They may not have that dream after they've made $100M and been in constant rehab mode but they don't look at it that deeply.

True, and I'm ok with it if he's a golfer or tennis player. But he has 52 other guys on the roster for the Colts in 2019 that had playoff/ super bowl aspirations. And that is gone now.

So here's how I see it. Luck probably began playing football and quarterback in the 2005 area. So he crafted this profession to a Stanford scholarship and played until drafted #1 by the Colts in 2012. 2012 is only 7 years ago, Luck played every season except half of the 2016 season and all of the 2017 season, so basically 5 1/2 years of playing time. There is no doubt he got paid, although he is forfeit a big chunk of his current contract. I think it's worth noting Luck was married in March of this year, and he and his wife are expecting their first child. Is this note worthy, I have no idea. But it's interesting to see a guy who was all football, all the time for so long, suddenly retire with no significant injuries right now???

They were waiting to have a press conference the day after their third preseason game and someone broke it during said game so it's on them?
We didn't know a presser was scheduled for Sunday at 3 until the cat was out of the bag. What world do you live in? Do you honestly think the Colts could have just said hey we're having a press conference tomorrow at 3 and just leave it at that? Somebody leaked it to Schefter, he's doing his job.

Him not breaking Andrew Luck's retirement during the Colts game would not have put him in the unemployment line. And I'm not trying to blame Schefter although my post did come off that way. It's whoever leaked it. But Schefter at the same time probably should have waited, at minimum, until the end of the game.

Not if he made a habit of it. No reason to distinguish Luck from any other celebrity/athlete in a breaking news/TMZ world.

If you had a job that was causing your physical and mental health to deteriorate, and you already had nearly $100 mil in the bank, you'd be a fool not to quit that job.
There are alot, ALOT more players with worse physical / mental issues than Luck who are getting ready to play football every Sunday. Why do we always move the narrative to money? These guys started playing football because they love the sport and are good at it. The dirty little secret is that many of these guys would play football if they made a third of what they make now. Sadly for some, it's all they know.