an individual coaches proposal for 20/21

Teaching young men and women to abide by rules and policies that are set into place by people in charge is a real life lesson that they can use the rest of their life. There will be times they disagree with the policies set forth at their job... Teaching them the proper way to approach disagreements in policy and the appropriate way to counter that is also important.

I completely disagree with any mask mandate and have repeatedly reached out to my local representatives to discuss the logic of allowing students during the day to have a mask break if they are outside, but making it a requirement for all spectators to wear a mask while outside seems obtuse.

That being said I follow the guidelines to the best of my knowledge in order to not jeopardize my sons football season or my career. (I'm a public employee).

Ok, so you do want to make this a civics lesson.

You wrote, "Teaching young men and women to abide by rules and policies that are set into place by people in charge is a real life lesson that they can use the rest of their life. " Fine, but what gCoach wrote was completely wrong. So wrong that it actually runs contrary to the "rules and policies set into place." Oh, and "by the people in charge"? You do realize that CITIZENS are to be in charge in the US, don't you?

If you want to teach young men and women about the Rules and Policies in place, try reading the Declaration of Independence. Go ahead, when is the last time you read it? Or read it to young people? Out loud? It has a real impact when you read it out loud, like the colonists heard in 1776. And be ready, it's a pretty long document.

Moreover, look at the history of the US and you'll find a lot of change took place, for good and for ill, by people who didn't "abide by rules and policies that are set into place." You'll see this going on right now, every single night, as you watch the national news. Time to teach young people that pretending that gCoach's passivity is "abiding by the rules" is not acceptable. Time to teach them that they need to be determined to deal with the MANY people who are trying to change this country with no regard to whether they "abide by rules and policies that are set into place." In fact, many of the people who don't abide by those rules are in fact they very people who are in charge, and want to stay in charge.

Ok, so you do want to make this a civics lesson.

You wrote, "Teaching young men and women to abide by rules and policies that are set into place by people in charge is a real life lesson that they can use the rest of their life. " Fine, but what gCoach wrote was completely wrong. So wrong that it actually runs contrary to the "rules and policies set into place." Oh, and "by the people in charge"? You do realize that CITIZENS are to be in charge in the US, don't you?

If you want to teach young men and women about the Rules and Policies in place, try reading the Declaration of Independence. Go ahead, when is the last time you read it? Or read it to young people? Out loud? It has a real impact when you read it out loud, like the colonists heard in 1776. And be ready, it's a pretty long document.

Moreover, look at the history of the US and you'll find a lot of change took place, for good and for ill, by people who didn't "abide by rules and policies that are set into place." You'll see this going on right now, every single night, as you watch the national news. Time to teach young people that pretending that gCoach's passivity is "abiding by the rules" is not acceptable. Time to teach them that they need to be determined to deal with the MANY people who are trying to change this country with no regard to whether they "abide by rules and policies that are set into place." In fact, many of the people who don't abide by those rules are in fact they very people who are in charge, and want to stay in charge.

Don't conflate the idea of teaching young men and women to abide by policies amd agreeing with said policies.

There are consequences to going against policies for young men and women and they should not be risking the consequences of those actions yet. Young adults should not have to worry about weighing the risk like an adult would. A great example would be just because I as a coach may disagree with stalling calls on top (insert whatever rule you dont like) doesn't mean I coach my wrestlers to risk their matches to protest our views.

Sadly, you misconstrue that my job as a coach and educator should be politically motivated. Those two should never mix, nor should my guidance lead to that. I've literally told my athletes and students that my personal opinion on these policies are completely different than my "teacher/coach" opinions. And that I would repeatedly sacrifice those opinions to be able to coach them, teach them in person, and get to watch my kid play football.

My personal opinion is the mask mandate and policies we've put into place are beyond intrusive and unconstitutional(I might have read it...). I might be willing to risk my business, my teaching license, and my coaching license over it. That doesn't mean I should teach others to do the same. That is a very personal and important decision one should come up on their own.

If you want to aggressively defend your stance on this issue, believe it or not, I support your decision and respect it... as long as you're willing to accept the possibility of consequences coming from those actions and not drag children or young adults into it.

And understand that the consequences for going against the protocols/guidelines/rules will most likely lead to them forfeiting their opportunity to participate in the postseason and possibly ruled ineligible immediately.

We're at the point where everyone's frustrated and so am I. With the COVID numbers increasing it's not a good thing for our sport at all. We need to all work together for this to happen. Throw politics out the window.

Would this mean no tris or quads?, if the OHSAA stopped volleyball multiple team tourneys would they do the same for wrestling?

POSTED ON AUGUST 20, 2020 BY BRYANT BILLING
OHSAA will enforce Ohio Department of Health rules

No multiple-team events for volleyball allowed

Buried in Wednesday’s ODH order was a provision that prevents teams from playing multiple opponents in a 24-hour period. It was designed to prevent multiple-team events, which the order says carry higher risks of COVID-19 transmission.

There was initial confusion expressed by school administrators on social media about the provision, which would have wiped out many golf and tennis multiple-team events after such meets had previously taken place.

The ODH clarified in a document released later Wednesday that golf, tennis and cross country are not subject to the provision; however, all other fall sports are.

That will prevent volleyball squads from participating in multiple-team tournaments, which are normally popular Saturday events during the season.

The provision wipes out the Coldwater Spikeoff, which was set for Saturday. The Cavaliers normally hold the annual tournament every season on the first weekend after play is allowed to begin. Fort Loramie and Versailles were scheduled to participate in this year’s event.

This has been redacted. Multiple teams are now allowed to compete as of a few weeks ago. I will try to find link.

Would this mean no tris or quads?, if the OHSAA stopped volleyball multiple team tourneys would they do the same for wrestling?

POSTED ON AUGUST 20, 2020 BY BRYANT BILLING
OHSAA will enforce Ohio Department of Health rules

No multiple-team events for volleyball allowed

Buried in Wednesday’s ODH order was a provision that prevents teams from playing multiple opponents in a 24-hour period. It was designed to prevent multiple-team events, which the order says carry higher risks of COVID-19 transmission.

There was initial confusion expressed by school administrators on social media about the provision, which would have wiped out many golf and tennis multiple-team events after such meets had previously taken place.

The ODH clarified in a document released later Wednesday that golf, tennis and cross country are not subject to the provision; however, all other fall sports are.

That will prevent volleyball squads from participating in multiple-team tournaments, which are normally popular Saturday events during the season.

The provision wipes out the Coldwater Spikeoff, which was set for Saturday. The Cavaliers normally hold the annual tournament every season on the first weekend after play is allowed to begin. Fort Loramie and Versailles were scheduled to participate in this year’s event.
That is no longer valid. That was back in August.

Teams/athletes can participate in multiple contests on the same day now. That went away a few weeks ago (I forget the exact date).

Up in northeast Ohio this weekend, there's a multi-game soccer event being held at Lodi. Teams will play two on Saturday in most cases, then one to three on Sunday depending on flight size and advancement.

20201015_222829.jpg

Ok everybody calm down. We MUST all remember that our goal of having some kind of season and most importantly a sectional , district and State this year is EVERYONES GOAL ! The letter sent out by the ohsaa says basically compete in what you want at your own risk. That’s great and sucks at the same time. I don’t want to and will not debate anyone who wants to throw fireballs and say this is crazy or that’s or so on. Bottom line is there are many layers here. I appreciate any ideas that get us to and thru a season. If I have to wear a hazmat suit to attend a event so be it. I get you are all frustrated so am I but let’s stop yelling at each other and work together we have a common goal

And understand that the consequences for going against the protocols/guidelines/rules will most likely lead to them forfeiting their opportunity to participate in the postseason and possibly ruled ineligible immediately.

We're at the point where everyone's frustrated and so am I. With the COVID numbers increasing it's not a good thing for our sport at all. We need to all work together for this to happen. Throw politics out the window.
Covid numbers increasing? Lol!!!!! Who cares if your positive cases rise,if your not immune compromised its not going to kill you!!!! Better chance of being struck by lightning!! The flu kills 95 times more kids than this crap does.

Covid numbers increasing? Lol!!!!! Who cares if your positive cases rise,if your not immune compromised its not going to kill you!!!! Better chance of being struck by lightning!! The flu kills 95 times more kids than this crap does.

Let me know when the decision makers start listening to your numbers. Last time I checked the decision makers were still going off of Positive Tests whether we agree or not. And a single positive test on a wrestling team equals the whole room being shut down for two weeks. Good luck trying to manage a team's weight once that happens.

Let me know when the decision makers start listening to your numbers. Last time I checked the decision makers were still going off of Positive Tests whether we agree or not. And a single positive test on a wrestling team equals the whole room being shut down for two weeks. Good luck trying to manage a team's weight once that happens.

This is not necessarily what I've heard. In our school's case they are going to limit the practice partners and have separate practices for V and JV. The thought is that just like school if someone gets it only those that have come in close contact also have to quarantine. I'm not saying that that will work necessarily, but they are trying to take measures to be proactive as to not getting the whole team shut down.

This is not necessarily what I've heard. In our school's case they are going to limit the practice partners and have separate practices for V and JV. The thought is that just like school if someone gets it only those that have come in close contact also have to quarantine. I'm not saying that that will work necessarily, but they are trying to take measures to be proactive as to not getting the whole team shut down.

We'll see. If they're sitting entire football teams who practice outdoors and have less contact I believe they'll do the same to wrestling. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Thin ice folks. From HS through college and international. One kid has some serious complications and that's all it will take.
Numbers be damned. We are not FB or BB. Wrestling will be made the whipping boy. Due diligence may not be enough...

Thin ice folks. From HS through college and international. One kid has some serious complications and that's all it will take.
Numbers be damned. We are not FB or BB. Wrestling will be made the whipping boy. Due diligence may not be enough...
I disagree a lot of what you said
With BB you cant practice the whole season in pods so if 1 kid gets it ..the whole team is done!!
With Wrestling ..practice will be in 4-6 man pods, -- 7th and 8th grade alike will be separate from HS - HS Var from JV from Var B and so on
With Wrestling it will be easier to contact trace due to it being a 1 vs 1 sport.

I'm afraid that might be true. That's why I am pretty outspoken that the wrestling community needs to be proactive and diligent. Finding and using real approaches to minimize risk.

With BB you cant practice the whole season in pods so if 1 kid gets it ..the whole team is done!!
With Wrestling ..practice will be in 4-6 man pods, -- 7th and 8th grade alike will be separate from HS - HS Var from JV from Var B and so on
With Wrestling it will be easier to contact trace due to it being a 1 vs 1 sport.

I don't know of many teams that can afford to lose 4-6 guys for two weeks. That still doesn't address why we think they'd be treated different than football teams which are shut down for two weeks by one positive test?

I don't know of many teams that can afford to lose 4-6 guys for two weeks. That still doesn't address why we think they'd be treated different than football teams which are shut down for two weeks by one positive test?
There are plenty of teams that can afford to miss 4-6 guys across all Div.
Still better than loosing the WHOLE team!
Each sport is different, you can not compare FB to wrestling you can not compare BB to Wrestling they are all different and must be treated accordingly.

There are plenty of teams that can afford to miss 4-6 guys across all Div.
Still better than loosing the WHOLE team!
Each sport is different, you can not compare FB to wrestling you can not compare BB to Wrestling they are all different and must be treated accordingly.

I agree that it's better than losing the whole team. Many teams only have one, maybe two guys in the upper and lower weights. You take away that many weight classes and it's hard to compete. Not to mention you also have to sit whoever Positive Wrestler competed against and their group. I only compare FB to wrestling because football practice takes place on a 120 x 53 yard field, outdoors. They're getting shut down for one single positive. I find it hard to believe health departments won't do the same for an indoor sport where wrestlers spend a majority of the practice in contact with another person and social distancing is impossible. I hope I'm wrong

Solon Comet Classic, first week of season just canceled, ironman canceled second week. Northeast Ohio teams will be looking to schedule some duals quickly. If Brecksville can't get their modified Christmas tourney plans to pass board approval we will be more in need of quick duals or tris. even if their 1/3 size proposal passes teams are going to be struggling, 2/3 of the teams will be looking regardless. Would have been nice to have leadership standardize a solid plan, now we may be flying by our ankles.

You wouldn't be the first (Maybe the first to go bold and underline.) :whistle: but I don't believe I'm talking/typing anything crazy? Besides, I'm not against hearing another, "point of view."
You're wrong though if you don't believe wrestling is the 'whipping boy' of the three I mentioned. I believe also wrong on, 'Due Diligence.' 'We' could do everything right and get hurt. If you don't believe that wrestling is in a precarious situation in this 'time in space.' I'm not quite sure how to address this?

Of course not. I believe 'we' all understand that. 'We' being wrestling people.

Testerli, I'll be content and happy to be wrong on any or all of these. I love wrestling. It's been a constant in my life for 40+yrs and I want that to continue.

Last edited:
OMG...THIS GUY!!! Get outta here.
Watch it. Show respect to coaches. Why do these posts have to become pissing matches? The coach was proposing some ideas. No reason to turn on him like this. Testerli obviously has some issues with authority. Shows your immaturity. I'll shut this thread down if it can't stay civil and show respect.

Last edited:
Watch it. Show respect to coaches.
I'm sorry you felt that was "disrespectful" but coach or not if you say something out of line or try to proselytize people to follow your way of thinking that was clearly way out in left field, I have every right to call them out.

Watch it. Show respect to coaches. Why do these posts have to become pissing matches? The coach was proposing some ideas. No reason to turn on him like this. Testerli obviously has some issues with authority. Shows your immaturity. I'll shut this thread down if it can't stay civil and show respect.
So just because I vocalized my opinion, somehow that turned into that I have a problem with Authority?? And it also shows my immaturity?? Really? For one that coach is Not my Authority and I have not broken any policy that I know of. So how can you justify calling me out? Being a moderator is just that..if you think you saw a problem with my post than you should have PM'd me instead you decided to try to call me out in a forum. Not cool at all.
I will look for a PM from you if there is a issue with what I post...thank you

Nothing from OHSAA and the coaches association, the school districts and schools have to figure it out on their own within the states guidelines. basically go and see what happens, with this some of the top tournaments have already cancelled and with one or two problems more will follow

Nothing from OHSAA and the coaches association, the school districts and schools have to figure it out on their own within the states guidelines. basically go and see what happens, with this some of the top tournaments have already cancelled and with one or two problems more will follow

If you know a coach or school that would like some researched suggestions for improved safety, I can provide them.

I don't like the current approach of "cross your fingers and hope for the best." I'd rather see a more deliberate one.