An Apology Is In Order

AEW Champion

God’s favorite poster
In the extremely likely event that Syracuse goes toe to toe with Clemson, I want an apology from all the posters who dismissed Syracuse as a pushover that shouldn’t be credited as a good team on Notre Dame’s schedule. You know who you are.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

I’d beat my chest on this point too if the main point of my argument was about how ND can make the playoffs despite losing to OSU only to watch my favorite team lose to Marshall and Stanford.

Is this really what the once infamous AEW has fallen to? Creating a thread about a team losing?

I’d beat my chest on this point too if the main point of my argument was about how ND can make the playoffs despite losing to OSU only to watch my favorite team lose to Marshall and Stanford.

Is this really what the once infamous AEW has fallen to? Creating a thread about a team losing?
I’m not happy about Notre Dame’s losses, but I’m happy they’re challenging themselves with a difficult schedule. The main point being that @Hammerdrill said Notre Dame would have a tougher schedule as a Big Ten member and I really don’t see how. Certainly not this year or a lot of others for that matter.

I’m not happy about Notre Dame’s losses, but I’m happy they’re challenging themselves with a difficult schedule. The main point being that @Hammerdrill said Notre Dame would have a tougher schedule as a Big Ten member and I really don’t see how. Certainly not this year or a lot of others for that matter.

When PSU joined the conference, they found out first hand how much more difficult it was week to week. Joe pa said so himself. He was surprised at this reality. ND is smart to not join the BIG10.

When PSU joined the conference, they found out first hand how much more difficult it was week to week. Joe pa said so himself. He was surprised at this reality. ND is smart to not join the BIG10.
The records don’t really bear that out. They actually got a bit better record-wise for several years after joining the Big Ten, including a 10-2 in 1993 and a 12-0 year in 1994. It wasn’t until JoePa really got ancient at the end of the 1990s that they started to slip.

It looks like, if anything, having teams like Notre Dame and Miami off the schedule helped them out more than the reverse.

Let’s also not pretend that today’s Big Ten is equivalent to the Big Ten in the 1990s. Although Michigan has trended up last year and this year, they’re not close to the national powerhouse program they were in the 90s. Penn State themselves were way more of a national power in the 90s than they have been ever since. Barry Alvarez was building up Wisconsin. Michigan State was pretty solid back then. Illinois wasn’t a laughingstock back then like they so often have been the past 10 to 15 years. Gary Barnett had Northwestern as a legit good team.

Today’s Big Ten isn’t even close to as competitive. Only Ohio State has really raised its game; thus its complete dominance of a flailing conference as more and more population and talent either heads to or stays in the South compared to the 90s.

The records don’t really bear that out. They actually got a bit better record-wise for several years after joining the Big Ten, including a 10-2 in 1993 and a 12-0 year in 1994. It wasn’t until JoePa really got ancient at the end of the 1990s that they started to slip.

It looks like, if anything, having teams like Notre Dame and Miami off the schedule helped them out more than the reverse.

Let’s also not pretend that today’s Big Ten is equivalent to the Big Ten in the 1990s. Although Michigan has trended up last year and this year, they’re not close to the national powerhouse program they were in the 90s. Penn State themselves were way more of a national power in the 90s than they have been ever since. Barry Alvarez was building up Wisconsin. Michigan State was pretty solid back then. Illinois wasn’t a laughingstock back then like they so often have been the past 10 to 15 years. Gary Barnett had Northwestern as a legit good team.

Today’s Big Ten isn’t even close to as competitive. Only Ohio State has really raised its game; thus its complete dominance of a flailing conference as more and more population and talent either heads to or stays in the South compared to the 90s.

I'm sure Joe Pa didn't know what he was talking about. They have had one period, very short where they could compete with the top of the conference. They have never consistently beaten Ohio State, which is the same as ND.

I'm sure Joe Pa didn't know what he was talking about. They have had one period, very short where they could compete with the top of the conference. They have never consistently beaten Ohio State, which is the same as ND.
You don’t attribute their decline in stature to JoePa getting extremely old? I do. Same thing happened with Bobby Bowden in Tallahassee. The difference there was instead of having Jimbo Fisher come in and restore order like at FSU, Penn State had the Jerry Sandusky scandal nuke the program for several years, and I still don’t think that program has fully recovered its previous reputation or clout to this day. James Franklin ain’t the answer to oversee a consistently great team.

You don’t attribute their decline in stature to JoePa getting extremely old? I do. Same thing happened with Bobby Bowden in Tallahassee. The difference there was instead of having Jimbo Fisher come in and restore order like at FSU, Penn State had the Jerry Sandusky scandal nuke the program for several years, and I still don’t think that program has fully recovered its previous reputation or clout to this day. James Franklin ain’t the answer to oversee a consistently great team.

You miss read what I wrote. Joe pa said it was a lot more difficult. He had some success, but that doesn't mean it wasn't as he claimed, to be more difficult.

You miss read what I wrote. Joe pa said it was a lot more difficult. He had some success, but that doesn't mean it wasn't as he claimed, to be more difficult.
Again, even if it was marginally more difficult to join the Big Ten 30 years ago vs being independent, the same would not hold true today due to the erosion of talent in Big Ten Country compared to the South, and the decay in stature of several key Big Ten programs. Look no further than how pathetic Iowa has looked on offense all year or how allegedly good Penn State got treated like a red-headed stepchild by an untested Michigan team. Or how Michigan State got humiliated by revamping Washington. Or Wisconsin getting “stunned” at home by Washington State. Or Nebraska losing to Georgia Southern and everyone else under the sun. Or Northwestern losing to SIU and Miami of Ohio.

In the extremely likely event that Syracuse goes toe to toe with Clemson, I want an apology from all the posters who dismissed Syracuse as a pushover that shouldn’t be credited as a good team on Notre Dame’s schedule. You know who you are.

Do we know that Clemson is any good? I guess we'll see how the Irish compare to both over the next couple weeks. My gut feeling is that Clemson is more of a fraud than Syracuse is really good.

Still, if Syracuse finishes the year 10-2, with their only losses to Playoff Qualifier Clemson and Notre Dame, I will eat my words and say that's a good win for ND. Not that it will matter in any way, shape or form for ND as they'll be relegated to the Sun Bowl or some other meaningless bowl regardless.

Again, even if it was marginally more difficult to join the Big Ten 30 years ago vs being independent, the same would not hold true today due to the erosion of talent in Big Ten Country compared to the South, and the decay in stature of several key Big Ten programs. Look no further than how pathetic Iowa has looked on offense all year or how allegedly good Penn State got treated like a red-headed stepchild by an untested Michigan team. Or how Michigan State got humiliated by revamping Washington. Or Wisconsin getting “stunned” at home by Washington State. Or Nebraska losing to Georgia Southern and everyone else under the sun. Or Northwestern losing to SIU and Miami of Ohio.

Right. Conferences never stay the same. But lucky for you, ND hasn't joined the BIG, or you would be in the same situation as PSU, always looking up to Ohio State.

I hope my granddaughter finds a man who loves her as much as AEW Champion loves AEW Champion.
It’s like the saying goes: If you don’t love yourself, how can you expect anyone else to love you?

I’m sure that if your granddaughter exhibits the same passion, modesty and quick wit that I do, she’ll be just fine.

It’s like the saying goes: If you don’t love yourself, how can you expect anyone else to love you?

I’m sure that if your granddaughter exhibits the same passion, modesty and quick wit that I do, she’ll be just fine.

Oprah got you into her cult of self-love, didn't she?

Loving yourself as much as you do has a term for it - and it's not a good one. :)