Alternative to salt?

OhioBobcatFan06

Any suggestions for a spice mix to replace salt? My old man is a good cook but needs to limit his salt intake due to heart issues.

Looking to buy him a spice mixture for his birthday that’ll keep him cooking while limiting salt.

Advice from the guy that has 50 varieties of rock salt as a hobby. :D

I used to pile it on, then got the same message. Honestly, I don't replace it with anything. Food actually has taste I found. Wasn't a conscious decision. I just stopped picking up the shaker. My cheat is not a lot of salty snacks and a few strips of bacon a week. And on the rare occasion I get French fries, I do pile a bunch of salt into that pile of catsup that I dip into. When I cheat, I can feel the diff, particularly in my eyes. Not good for the eye pressure I guess.

I kept thinking "potassium chloride" as a substitute. Sure enough, most of the substitutes I glanced at online were versions of KCl, with an added chemical to reduce the bitterness.

if you want to make yourself feel better while reducing sodium, ohiopup's suggestion of Mrs. Dash or similar herb/spice combos is probably the best Either that, or just go cold turkey like eastisbest did. I am NOT, however, giving up my pinch of salt in my coffee each morning.

And just to be clear...my SALT...

S ~ Success ( was or is your day successful )
- - - if any of the below are TRUE then the answer is yes.
A ~ Accomplish something
L ~ Learn something
T ~ Teach someone something

P.S. - some would say I'm an 'Old Salt'

And since I've scored a T for "OhioBobcatFan06"
- I've got my successful day.

:>---

SALT

Last edited:
Advice from the guy that has 50 varieties of rock salt as a hobby. :D

I used to pile it on, then got the same message. Honestly, I don't replace it with anything. Food actually has taste I found. Wasn't a conscious decision. I just stopped picking up the shaker. My cheat is not a lot of salty snacks and a few strips of bacon a week. And on the rare occasion I get French fries, I do pile a bunch of salt into that pile of catsup that I dip into. When I cheat, I can feel the diff, particularly in my eyes. Not good for the eye pressure I guess.
Cheat? You must be cheating every time I pay. :ROFLMAO:

Another suggestion is to kick up the garlic or onions in a recipe. For a great rib steak try just a pinch of salt, more to pull the juices out than anything else, and then sear in multiple cloves of minced garlic so there is a burst of flavor in every bite. The 1st couple bites might be strong but after that you numb up and the flavor of the steak is really enhanced.

I know that this doesn't answer your question exactly, but Morton Lite Salt is half the sodium of table salt.

I've used it for years as my regular salt and there is almost no difference in taste (table salt is slightly stronger tasting).

When he is able to use salt for a recipe or add on for his food, it is a healthier alternative.

A couple seasoning tips from a chef:
  • For those that do use salt... Using a grinder doesn't really improve flavor but and adjustable one does allow for different textures that pair better with certain foods. Super fine salt works great on things with a dusting like popcorn but crunchy course salt really makes a good steak that much better.
  • On the flip side pre-ground pepper lacks that burst of flavor a grinder gives and should never be on a table. Whenever using pepper it should be from a grinder.
  • Purchase spices in smaller amounts and try to keep them fresh for best flavor. While those large containers may be more convenient after they are opened and the seal is broken it drains flavor. Those spice stores that are popping up are great for trying and buying smaller amounts.
  • Instead of just salt & pepper experiment with rubs or protein specific seasoning for most recipes. I make a beef stroganoff using Montreal seasoning and folks rave; they ask me what the secret ingredient is.

Fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables only. I keep canned goods during the winter (emergency), but that's it.

I use salt on fresh tomatoes and spinach. Nothing else. Put vinegar on spinach yesterday instead - on a whim. Salt out, vinegar in!

The body actually needs some salt.

The body also needs the iodine that is in packaged salt.

Drink water.

A friend of mine that is in excellent condition licks his potato chips so that the salt he sprinkles on them will stick.

Outstanding.

Fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables only. I keep canned goods during the winter (emergency), but that's it.

I use salt on fresh tomatoes and spinach. Nothing else. Put vinegar on spinach yesterday instead - on a whim. Salt out, vinegar in!

Never used salt on spinach but I can see that vinegar working.

Never used salt on spinach but I can see that vinegar working.
Didn't taste the spinach at all and opened up my sinuses at the same time! Woah!!!

I imagine spinach could be "wilted" similarly to endive and other greens. Vinegar and flour (?) or just vinegar as I do.

Maybe I'll try just a touch of vinegar. Tastes good on salad. I think it would taste good on steamed spinach. Either a dash of white or that balsamic. I can imagine even a bit of kosher or sea salt adding a texture to spinach. That himalayan stuff supposed to be good for you.

don't think I've got sesame oil in the house.

lol, I KNOW I don't have sesame oil in the house. I have peanut butter. Can I substitute?

The body actually needs some salt.

The body also needs the iodine that is in packaged salt.

Drink water.

A friend of mine that is in excellent condition licks his potato chips so that the salt he sprinkles on them will stick.

Outstanding.
Yep, salt has an important role in overall health, as does fat, but we were told for years that fat makes you fat, but of course it doesn't.

Just read an interesting article about attempts to add iron to iodized salt to tackle two problems at once (hyperthyroidism and anemia).

Just finished reading Salt,A World History by Mark Kurlansky. It lives up to its billing of being a "mulit-layered masterpiece that blends economic, scientific, political, religious, and culinary records into a rich and memorable tale." It was a New York Times bestseller, copyright 2002.