Alter vs DeSales DIII State Semi-Finals

I watched both Alter-Badin games and DeSales is much better than Badin. Would have no clue which program JustCurious is referring to. Massie was beaten rather handily by Wyoming as well.

Alter will continue to lose games like this until the coaches actually learn how to play their best ATHLETES on both side of the ball when needed. All of the teams that beat Alter play their best players both ways. Tonight is just another example.
I thought Alter was going to win this game easily. With 3 high level D1 kids in Hicks, McDonald, and Sheppard, how did they lose??

When i previewed my thought on page 1 i tried to temper my confidence but also give a fair assessment .

Everyone discounts Central, Ohio Football in the SW area, but over the years DeSales has a dominating record versus Teams in their Division now pushing their record to 12-2 over Alter.

Hicks is a great Athlete, but i'll take DeSales Double Q and Jonathon Thompson everyday of the week. Thompson would be D3 player of the Year on Defense if not for Hicks and his OSU commitment.

He fumbled that punt at the end of the 3rd qt. which IMO was the play that defined the game and outcome.

As usual a overall well played game by 2 storied programs known for their hard-nosed approach to the game.

And for the poster who didn't think DeSales was the best Team Alter played all year. Playing Hartley 3x and Watterson twice might put Alter #6 on DeSales strength of Schedule. Those 2 Teams are the perfect way to prepare for a game like this and the Stallions got 5 test runs.

Congrats to DeSales and good luck next week. I do have to call out the A@#hole DeSales parents who were booing and yelling to "play the game" as paramedics and medical personnel were trying to care for an injured Alter coach who was hurt on a sideline play. The trainer is doing chest compressions and a few very vocal DeSales parents showed their true colors over the air on tv and radio.

Congrats to DeSales and good luck next week. I do have to call out the A@#hole DeSales parents who were booing and yelling to "play the game" as paramedics and medical personnel were trying to care for an injured Alter coach who was hurt on a sideline play. The trainer is doing chest compressions and a few very vocal DeSales parents showed their true colors over the air on tv and radio.
Very sad we also heard it. Embarrassed for the fans that were yelling.

And Desales wasn’t the best team Alter played all season. Not even second imo.

I disagree. I think DeSales had the best athletes and coaching Alter faced all year. Not converting the first downs on 3rd and 4th downs and the continuous fumbles haunted Alter. Best of luck to DeSales next week.

I disagree. I think DeSales had the best athletes and coaching Alter faced all year. Not converting the first downs on 3rd and 4th downs and the continuous fumbles haunted Alter. Best of luck to DeSales next week.
Don't forget the penalties. Big penalty that cost them a TD just before half. That would have been a big momentum swing right there. Alter had an off night. No need to hang your head. Go Knights!

Don't forget the penalties. Big penalty that cost them a TD just before half. That would have been a big momentum swing right there. Alter had an off night. No need to hang your head. Go Knights!
The Flag was on the ground before the Ball was even in the air. and Hicks pushed off.

You complete.3/10 passes, the majority of which were thrown in obvious down, distance situations or trailing, flub a punt you deserve to lose. Consistent but less predictable are not contradictions. There's a reason DeSales gives Alter fits and has a commanding series lead. It has the ability to recognize sclerotic tendencies and battle to stunt the 2nd level blocking.lmo - groundhog day

When i previewed my thought on page 1 i tried to temper my confidence but also give a fair assessment .

Everyone discounts Central, Ohio Football in the SW area, but over the years DeSales has a dominating record versus Teams in their Division now pushing their record to 12-2 over Alter.

Hicks is a great Athlete, but i'll take DeSales Double Q and Jonathon Thompson everyday of the week. Thompson would be D3 player of the Year on Defense if not for Hicks and his OSU commitment.

He fumbled that punt at the end of the 3rd qt. which IMO was the play that defined the game and outcome.

As usual a overall well played game by 2 storied programs known for their hard-nosed approach to the game.

And for the poster who didn't think DeSales was the best Team Alter played all year. Playing Hartley 3x and Watterson twice might put Alter #6 on DeSales strength of Schedule. Those 2 Teams are the perfect way to prepare for a game like this and the Stallions got 5 test runs.

Well said TC !!!

It doesn't matter. Alter had several chances to gain momentum and failed. Again, just not their day. Let's move on.

It hasnt been their day for a long time against the CCL schools.

Theres a reason why Domsitz did everything in his power to stand in the way of a CCL-GCL Co-Ed Merger.

Few observations from the game: Special Teams was another nightmare to watch because them muffed two KRs and fumbled another one which was been the story the last two years. Alter has to lead SW Ohio in fumbled kick returns and punt returns with their "all star" returners. They've blocked a lot of punts, FGs/XPs all year but there's a couple of individuals out there that have all this "talent" and don't produce. Also their kicker hasn't been good all year because he has missed so many XPs and FGs.

Alter will not beat the CCL teams of DeSales and Hartley because they are too one dimensional and don't like change. I didn't think DeSales was superior than Alter but it's embarassing watching the QB not hit any wide open receivers all night. Being a defensive guy, it looked like the linebackers were being coached by a peewee guy because they didn't make one stop on zone read all night. From watching in the stands on a weekly basis, there seems to be group of solid coaches on staff but also a ton of old do nothings. DeSales brought the better game plan and adjustments and Alter folded just like in years past vs their catholic opponents in the playoffs.

Good luck DeSales! Beat Chardon

I thought Alter was going to win this game easily. With 3 high level D1 kids in Hicks, McDonald, and Sheppard, how did they lose??
Don't get me wrong, all three of them are very good athletes, but in my opinion they don't stand out as much as they should. Hicks is an all around athlete and if you look at his stats and ability, by far he is the best athlete on the field usually, but when you watch a game you would never guess it. He is sloppy (fumbles, late hits, etc) and takes plays off, definitely has some work to, but there is certainly a reason he's committed to osu, his athleticism is unmatched at highschool level. He'll be put into place in college when he goes up against guys better than him as a freshmen and such but coaches will get him right. Dude is definitely all about the hype, needs to focus more on the game, lots of respect for him though. With a guy the size of sheppard i would be running behind him every play, but i dont think alter can do that. With the size and ability sheppard has he should be beating his defender every play, not sure if he can do that, dude has a lot if potential, cant teach a guy to be 6'3 315. McDonald definitely stands out the most of those 3. Dude is a work horse, just has to gain some speed. Not mentioned before but Plate #2 deserved more recognition, dude is an athlete and makes plays. Will definitely be interesting where these guys end up. Its easy to look on paper to see why alter should and is a very good team, but watching these guys in person, they may contradict there "stars" a bit. In my opinion a 5 star should running to the ball every play, and not fumble punt returns and kor consistently throughout the seaon. I think so many recruiting places just base it off pure athleticism from the HYPE camps. They need to actually watch a game and see how the athlete plays the game, does he hustle and give effort or is he only a "standout" bc he is more athletic than anybody else and can take plays off. Certainly not saying all highly recruited guys are, or the guys i listed above are, but from the years I've watch their certainly are some people like this.

Don't get me wrong, all three of them are very good athletes, but in my opinion they don't stand out as much as they should. Hicks is an all around athlete and if you look at his stats and ability, by far he is the best athlete on the field usually, but when you watch a game you would never guess it. He is sloppy (fumbles, late hits, etc) and takes plays off, definitely has some work to, but there is certainly a reason he's committed to osu, his athleticism is unmatched at highschool level. He'll be put into place in college when he goes up against guys better than him as a freshmen and such but coaches will get him right. Dude is definitely all about the hype, needs to focus more on the game, lots of respect for him though. With a guy the size of sheppard i would be running behind him every play, but i dont think alter can do that. With the size and ability sheppard has he should be beating his defender every play, not sure if he can do that, dude has a lot if potential, cant teach a guy to be 6'3 315. McDonald definitely stands out the most of those 3. Dude is a work horse, just has to gain some speed. Not mentioned before but Plate #2 deserved more recognition, dude is an athlete and makes plays. Will definitely be interesting where these guys end up. Its easy to look on paper to see why alter should and is a very good team, but watching these guys in person, they may contradict there "stars" a bit. In my opinion a 5 star should running to the ball every play, and not fumble punt returns and kor consistently throughout the seaon. I think so many recruiting places just base it off pure athleticism from the HYPE camps. They need to actually watch a game and see how the athlete plays the game, does he hustle and give effort or is he only a "standout" bc he is more athletic than anybody else and can take plays off. Certainly not saying all highly recruited guys are, or the guys i listed above are, but from the years I've watch their certainly are some people like this.
These are some good comments. Recruiting seems to be more about measurables and potential vs performance these days. I understand D1 kids have to check those boxes, but it seems like game performance should be weighted more. If you don't dominate in HS, how will you dominate in college? I do think Alter has benefited in recruiting with its success of kids at the next level - Zaire, Thuney, Borland, etc.

These are some good comments. Recruiting seems to be more about measurables and potential vs performance these days. I understand D1 kids have to check those boxes, but it seems like game performance should be weighted more. If you don't dominate in HS, how will you dominate in college? I do think Alter has benefited in recruiting with its success of kids at the next level - Zaire, Thuney, Borland, etc.
Don't think about about as recruiting. All three kids mentioned above are from Catholic grade schools ( Precious Blood, Incarnation, St Albert the Great). Only Zaire had a commute. The other two are legacies with relatives preceding them at Alter. The fact is success breeds success. Middle school kids see the older kids as neighborhood celebrities and they can't wait to follow. Again, a legacy example. Bazelak qb at Mizzou. His grandpa coached at Alter, his mom and uncles played there as well. His cousin was the featured wr this year. What is a recruiting factor is making and advancing in the playoffs, getting a rep for soundness,drawing college interest and then performing when at college Couple years back Alter had 4 kids on the Notre Dame roster. Including wr Chris Finke-another legacy..These things plus a a college curriculum will get parents' attention.

Don't think about about as recruiting. All three kids mentioned above are from Catholic grade schools ( Precious Blood, Incarnation, St Albert the Great). Only Zaire had a commute. The other two are legacies with relatives preceding them at Alter. The fact is success breeds success. Middle school kids see the older kids as neighborhood celebrities and they can't wait to follow. Again, a legacy example. Bazelak qb at Mizzou. His grandpa coached at Alter, his mom and uncles played there as well. His cousin was the featured wr this year. What is a recruiting factor is making and advancing in the playoffs, getting a rep for soundness,drawing college interest and then performing when at college Couple years back Alter had 4 kids on the Notre Dame roster. Including wr Chris Finke-another legacy..These things plus a a college curriculum will get parents' attention.
I was referencing college recruiting, not high school. College coaches come through Alter because of their kids' success in college. Alter still does their fair share of recruiting for high school. Didn't QB Shane come from Beavercreek?