Alter vs DeSales DIII State Semi-Finals

This is a rematch of a game from last year that went right down to the wire. Both schools arguably have much better teams this year than last, so this should be a fun one. Alter has a chance to make amends with the last team to beat them last year so you have to believe they will be fired up. Alter will look for this to be the last stop on their revenge tour.

This is a rematch of a game from last year that went right down to the wire. Both schools arguably have much better teams this year than last, so this should be a fun one. Alter has a chance to make amends with the last team to beat them last year so you have to believe they will be fired up. Alter will look for this to be the last stop on their revenge tour.
Didn’t Alter lose to Badin in the playoffs last year ?‍♂️

These 2 Programs have a long History with each other that Dates back to 1987 . The now defunct OCL was the setting for what would become a Rivalry between the best of the Catholic School Programs from Dayton and Columbus.
And now no game is bigger than this Fridays. Biggest game since they met in 2000 in the State Semi Finals.
They have played 11 Regular Season Games and met only twice in the Playoffs.
1987 in a 1st round Matchup and the above mentioned 2001 State Semi's both games Won by SFD 25-7 and 20-17
DeSales holds a all time lead of 11 Win against only 2 Losses , But unfortunately for Alter this Rivalry started when DeSales was at their peek in Football and in most Years was a Top 10 program in the State regardless of Division.
The past doesn't matter only this Years Players and Coaches does and that will be who determines in the End which Team prevails.
Both Teams Year in and Year out base their philosophy on FB on almost exactly the same principles . Run the Ball, Control the Clock, Minimize mistakes, Have Good Special Team Play and play Great Defense.
This Year is no different.
I haven't seen Alter play this year but have followed their Season on Yappi and in Dayton Sports news report.
From what is apparent is both Teams have embraced the challenges of this wacky Season and are both playing their best Football at the right time of the year.
Both have stud running backs and excellent Linebacker play with solid Defensive and Offensive lines which ultimately IMO will be the difference in the game. Who Wins the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.
I won't even try and predict a Winner , but think the Final Score will be in the 38-35 range and come right down to the last minute.
Which ever Team advances to the Finals will be defending the Legacy and Honor of the Central Ohio and Dayton area D3 Football reputation and will do so in a outstanding way Win or Lose.
The NEO people on this board have already declared the last 2-3 weeks of the D3 Playoffs up there as the real State Championship Games.
As Lee Corso is known to say: Not so fast my friend
Whoever wins this game will have my support the following week and i hope yours to.

Last edited:
These 2 Programs have a long History with each other that Dates back to 1987 . The now defunct OCL was the setting for what would become a Rivalry between the best of the Catholic School Programs from Dayton and Columbus.
And now no game is bigger than this Fridays. Biggest game since they met in 2000 in the State Semi Finals.
They have played 11 Regular Season Games and met only twice in the Playoffs.
1987 in a 1st round Matchup and the above mentioned 2000 State Semi's both games Won by SFD 25-7 and 20-17
DeSales holds a all time lead of 11 Win against only 2 Losses , But unfortunately for Alter this Rivalry started when DeSales was at their peek in Football and in most Years was a Top 10 program in the State regardless of Division.
The past doesn't matter only this Years Players and Coaches does and that will be who determines in the End which Team prevails.
Both Teams Year in and Year out base their philosophy on FB on almost exactly the same principles . Run the Ball, Control the Clock, Minimize mistakes, Have Good Special Team Play and play Great Defense.
This Year is no different.
I haven't seen Alter play this year but have followed their Season on Yappi and in Dayton Sports news report.
From what is apparent is both Teams have embraced the challenges of this wacky Season and are both playing their best Football at the right time of the year.
Both have stud running backs and excellent Linebacker play with solid Defensive and Offensive lines which ultimately IMO will be the difference in the game. Who Wins the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.
I would even try and predict a Winner , but think the Final Score will be in the 38-35 range and come right down to the last minute.
Which ever Team advances to the Finals will be defending the Legacy and Honor of the Central Ohio and Dayton area D3 Football reputation and will do so in a outstanding way Win or Lose.
The NEO people on this board have already declared the last 2-3 weeks of the D3 Playoffs up there as the real State Championship Games.
As Lee Corso is known to say: Not so fast my friend
Whoever wins this game will have my support the following week and i hope yours to.
Believe it was '01. Was there.mangold's senior year. Alter h7 6ad an early lead, got overly vanilla and got nipped on a late pass to.penn. Alter has trouble with the 3 decent Columbus parochials at crunch time. Kryptonite or better holy water?

Believe it was '01. Was there.mangold's senior year. Alter h7 6ad an early lead, got overly vanilla and got nipped on a late pass to.penn. Alter has trouble with the 3 decent Columbus parochials at crunch time. Kryptonite or better holy water?
I am a football fan with no real loyalty to any team but I would not bet against Alter at this time.

Yes sorry it was 2001

I think this game will be surprisingly low scoring, despite the prior games of these two powerhouses. Alter has done a great job defending the pass as the season went on, if they can shut down the deep pass, alters defense should not have too many problems. I understand the backfield talent of DeSales is top tier, but alter has done very well against the inside run all season long. If DeSales can shut down Alter's running attack, and in turn taking away most of the passing offense that is based on surprise, I don't see more than 40 points being scored total in this game.

I take Alter in this game, with their run and pass combo last week I find it hard to take down this team who hasn't lost since week 2. I think it will be close though 14-24 Alter

Last edited:
Alters defense will have to step up against the high scoring DeSales offense. Defending the pass has not always been Alters strong suit and Desales seems to want to air it out a lot.

Alters defense will have to step up against the high scoring DeSales offense. Defending the pass has not always been Alters strong suit and Desales seems to want to air it out a lot.
im not sure if their main goal is to throw the ball, but i know they aren't afraid to

I think the linebackers will play a crucial role in this weeks game if you say the have a good running attack. Mayer, Flanders, Penson and Spears will all have big nights

DeSales moving down to D3 is a big break. Last year they were in a bracket with Winton Woods and LaSalle. So Kettering Alter will be a great challenge but im sure they'll take it especially since they played last yr

This should be a great showdown. I'm going to Alter in a close one. I simply think they're playing their best football of the season and give them the slightest edge. I'll say:

Alter 21
DeSales 17